Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be denied boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Will I be denied boarding?

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum as its as much about visas as it is Qatar Airways.

I am flying to Thailand on Wednesday (DOH-HKT) and have a 35 day trip planned. Only yesterday I realised that the 45 day visa on arrival has gone back to 30 days as of March 31st. Am I likely to hit any trouble when I check in and they notice I plan on staying longer than 30 days? It's too late now to apply for the 60 day visa from the embassy so I think my only work around is to change my return flight so my stay shows as less than 30 days. Then once in Thailand, I can go to the local immigration office, extend my visa by another 30 days and then change my flights back.

The other headache I have is that we are booked on two tickets. One with cash and one with Avios. At least from looking, there is still award availability on the day I would change the return flight too. Although for some reason I cannot seem to change it online so I'll have to call.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:06 pm

I suspect you would be fine as you are. But if you are worried, simplest is to buy a refundable one way ticket out of Thailand for within 30 days of arrival (on any carrier) to show at check-in and arrival immigration if asked (which is extremely unlikely), and then cancel it once you’re there. Don’t forget to visit immigration to get your extension though once in Thailand to avoid an overstay stamp in your passport and penalties.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
I suspect you would be fine as you are. But if you are worried, simplest is to buy a refundable one way ticket out of Thailand for within 30 days of arrival (on any carrier) to show at check-in and arrival immigration if asked (which is extremely unlikely), and then cancel it once you’re there. Don’t forget to visit immigration to get your extension though once in Thailand to avoid an overstay stamp in your passport and penalties.
Yes this might be the better option, thanks. My concern is what they would say at check in at HIA as they can be funny at times. The rules state proof of a return ticket or onward travel so I'll book at refundable return flight to some where like KL which then shows I would be leaving Thailand and then re-entering before taking my QA flight back to DOH.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:12 am

Yes you could book a return, although in practice they'll only be interested in the onward travel out of Thailand, if at all. How you get back to the airport for your return QR flight almost certainly won’t cross their minds.

I've flown into Thailand many times on QR with tickets where the return is beyond 30 days and never been asked for proof of onward travel by check-in or arrival immigration. But that’s not to say you shouldn't have the back up in place though. A refundable ticket is the best bet (single or return), or a super cheap throwaway ticket. That leaves your existing QR tickets intact. Those might become much harder to rebook as you suggested originally as time goes by.

Another alternative is an overnight in KL or similar and fly back in to start a new 30 days. But unless you get busted by the police for something after arriving in Thailand (!), there should be no reason not to be given the extension to your entry stamp. Well I say "given", I think it’s 1,900 baht each and you'll need passport photos too
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Yes you could book a return, although in practice they'll only be interested in the onward travel out of Thailand, if at all. How you get back to the airport for your return QR flight almost certainly won’t cross their minds.

I've flown into Thailand many times on QR with tickets where the return is beyond 30 days and never been asked for proof of onward travel by check-in or arrival immigration. But that’s not to say you shouldn't have the back up in place though. A refundable ticket is the best bet (single or return), or a super cheap throwaway ticket. That leaves your existing QR tickets intact. Those might become much harder to rebook as you suggested originally as time goes by.

Another alternative is an overnight in KL or similar and fly back in to start a new 30 days. But unless you get busted by the police for something after arriving in Thailand (!), there should be no reason not to be given the extension to your entry stamp. Well I say "given", I think it’s 1,900 baht each and you'll need passport photos too
Thanks again. I wouldn't actually mind a night or two in KL but we've already got all our Phuket accommodation booked for the 35 nights. Plus this whole things stresses out my wife far more than me so need to make it as easy as possible! I've been reading about getting the visa extension and it doesn't appear too difficult. I will even ask in our first hotel (JW Marriott) if they can help to make it a bit easier for us.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
I've been reading about getting the visa extension and it doesn't appear too difficult
(with apologies for the non-QR posting...)

It's really easy and you can apply any time within the 30 days (maybe go 30 days or less before your departing flight). You can usually book an appointment online and download the forms in advance, or just turn up at the Immigration office and they'll have everything there. You'll need photocopies of your passport data page and entry stamp but you'll be able able to get those done at or next to the immigration office if not at your hotel. Plus remember the passport sized pics of yourselves

Each time you check in to a hotel they will submit an online document called TM30 to immigration reporting you are staying there. So fill in the extension forms with the address of the hotel that will have made the most recent submission. You could ask them at check-in for a copy of the TM30 to take with you if you want to be super sure.

Honestly though it's really easy, it's usually very quick and you won't have a problem. Plus the interaction with Thai officialdom is all part of the fun of a visit to The Land of Smiles

Last edited by KingCanute; Jun 25, 2023 at 1:10 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just relax, it will be a breeze.
Unless you look like a Hippy likely to spend lots of time in Thailand, Thai immigration will not bother you. With the absence of most Chinese tourists, Thailand is desperate to get toursists.

QR agent might be an (unlikely) source of trouble, so buying a refundable one way onward ticket would do the trick.

ANyway, tas long as you already have an onward ticket in 35 days, I doubt that the QR agent would raise trouble. Paid/avios makes no difference.
For your peace of mind, just buy a fully refundable he QR onward HKT to a nearby cheap destination. Just make sure, that it is indeed fully refundable.
Ben_W likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 25, 2023 at 2:53 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Booked Malaysian Airlines to KL. Economy Flex (fully refundable) for half way through my trip, so on the safe side now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.