Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Connecting in DOH -- passport control and security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:24 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt

I will be flying IAH-DOH-RUH. While connecting in DOH, do I need to clear passport control and security? I ask because QR is offering a VIP connection in DOH for about $120, and I would like to understand if it is worth it.

Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by txp
I will be flying IAH-DOH-RUH. While connecting in DOH, do I need to clear passport control and security? I ask because QR is offering a VIP connection in DOH for about $120, and I would like to understand if it is worth it.

Thank you!
You don’t need to clear immigration for a connection in DOH but you will likely have to go through security check (it depends of your flight origin and the mood of the staff, so it’s quite unpredictable). There’s a dedicated line for J and F passengers, so, assuming you’re not flying Y, it shouldn’t take too long and probably doesn’t worth booking any VIP connection service
acurrie likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Provided your mobile and can walk and use travelators easily, I also agree that paying for a VIP service is unnecessary.

Doha is an airport that was designed and built for transit, 90% of passengers are transiting.
acurrie likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 8:12 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
You don’t need to clear immigration for a connection in DOH but you will likely have to go through security check (it depends of your flight origin and the mood of the staff, so it’s quite unpredictable). There’s a dedicated line for J and F passengers, so, assuming you’re not flying Y, it shouldn’t take too long and probably doesn’t worth booking any VIP connection service
Originally Posted by plunet
Provided your mobile and can walk and use travelators easily, I also agree that paying for a VIP service is unnecessary.

Doha is an airport that was designed and built for transit, 90% of passengers are transiting.
Thank you both!
Old Jun 24, 2023, 8:34 am
txp
Original Poster

One more question:

I just realized that US citizens need a visa to enter Qatar. If the first flight is late and I need to spend the night in Doha, will I be allowed in the country without a visa? Or should I apply for a visa just to be on the safe side?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by txp
One more question:

I just realized that US citizens need a visa to enter Qatar. If the first flight is late and I need to spend the night in Doha, will I be allowed in the country without a visa? Or should I apply for a visa just to be on the safe side?
It's a visa on arrival so just head to immigration if you need to enter Doha. No need to do anything beforehand
plunet likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:00 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
It's a visa on arrival so just head to immigration if you need to enter Doha. No need to do anything beforehand
Thank you, I appreciate this!
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
And it's not really a visa (at least not one in your passport), you just get stamped in like at any other visa free country.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Schwann
And it's not really a visa (at least not one in your passport), you just get stamped in like at any other visa free country.
They do place a sticker in your passport so it is more akin to a 30day VOA than visa exempt travel but it's a very informal looking sticker
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:41 pm

They do place a sticker in your passport so it is more akin to a 30day VOA than visa exempt travel but it's a very informal looking sticker
As a total geek that enjoys flipping through my passport and admiring the stamps and visas, I was very disappointed in the aesthetics of the VOA. Just a lame barcode and no mention of Qatar or Doha (other than www.moi.gov.qa). Given the 39 mile hike to passport control, I felt like I'd earned a damn stamp, if not a medal.

Also, it's my understanding that you're supposed to have proof of a "Qatar-approved" travel insurance plan. I purchased one for my overnight layover but was never asked about it (which I learned is pretty much the norm).
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Oh yes! I has forgotten about that.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by gophish11
As a total geek that enjoys flipping through my passport and admiring the stamps and visas, I was very disappointed in the aesthetics of the VOA. Just a lame barcode and no mention of Qatar or Doha (other than www.moi.gov.qa). Given the 39 mile hike to passport control, I felt like I'd earned a damn stamp, if not a medal.

Also, it's my understanding that you're supposed to have proof of a "Qatar-approved" travel insurance plan. I purchased one for my overnight layover but was never asked about it (which I learned is pretty much the norm).
The need for the Qatar approved travel insurance for stays less than 30 days was dropped about a month after the introduction of the new policy earlier this year.
gophish11 and Matt4 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.