Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is QR F even worth it on CX leased planes these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Curious, I have the option of either flying VIE-DOH-HKG in F (CX plane for the F second segment part) or J all the way. For J, the old QR 777 shows up but if I’m lucky like on my recent ICN and DPS flights, it might be upgraded to Qsuite.

question is, is F even worth it on CX planes? I’ve read the service is identical to J (great for J standards but not much value for F) and for the soft product, they no longer have Krug and even the regular brut is inferior to the Alexandra rosé they already serve in J anyway. The only perk I see is the AS lounge in Doha, but even considering with my layover, I’d barely get over 2 hours there. Also, my flight to HKG is at 220 am…does that mean I’d get mainly breakfast instead of a full dinner? If yes that further downgrades the experience.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NickRivas
Curious, I have the option of either flying VIE-DOH-HKG in F (CX plane for the F second segment part) or J all the way. For J, the old QR 777 shows up but if I’m lucky like on my recent ICN and DPS flights, it might be upgraded to Qsuite.

question is, is F even worth it on CX planes? I’ve read the service is identical to J (great for J standards but not much value for F) and for the soft product, they no longer have Krug and even the regular brut is inferior to the Alexandra rosé they already serve in J anyway. The only perk I see is the AS lounge in Doha, but even considering with my layover, I’d barely get over 2 hours there. Also, my flight to HKG is at 220 am…does that mean I’d get mainly breakfast instead of a full dinner? If yes that further downgrades the experience.
It sounds like you’ve sold yourself already but it’s not worth it. J all the way.
imakinov likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:16 pm

I've not flown F on those planes, but was just in J from IST-DOH yesterday. If the service is identical, I'd say absolutely not. I find the J cabin perfectly comfortable, as the Cirrus seat is among my very favorite business class seats, despite it's age. If you are in a bulkhead row (I was in 11K), the footwell is massive. The crews staffing these flights are lovely and if there's no difference in the soft product, I'd give it a pass. These planes have been in service for quite a long time without any material refresh to the cabins, and they are starting to show their wear, but I think you'll still have a very good flight in J.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
If you care about sleep, I'd say F is without a doubt a step up from J, be it Cirrus or QSuites. I appreciate that people have different ideas of what constitutes "worth it", but I think this is worth mentioning nonetheless, especially for a 0220 departure.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you care about sleep, I'd say F is without a doubt a step up from J, be it Cirrus or QSuites. I appreciate that people have different ideas of what constitutes "worth it", but I think this is worth mentioning nonetheless, especially for a 0220 departure.
I think it goes without saying F is by definition a step up from J within a given aircraft, however, despite the spacious 1-1-1 layout on CX 777s, the seat is extremely similar to the aging product on AA’s 773 and (based solely on my stroll through the cabin), does not appear as good as JAL’s (also aging) F seat. Very good seat and a step up on the hard product, but the differentiating factor for international F for my money is largely the soft product. I’d also argue that this particular cabin would not offer better sleep than QSuites, due to a significant lack of privacy.

The foreword J “mini cabin” in rows 11-12 only has 2 more seats occupying roughly the same footprint as the F cabin, and row 11 is further from galleys and restrooms than the seats in F and offers better privacy, IMO. Between this, the huge footwell in row 11, and given the lack of soft product, the delta between the F cabin and mini J is vanishingly small.

QR was offering upgrades to F for the 3.5 hour jaunt from IST-DOH for $1030, which was an easy pass for me. I’d have paid maybe $200 for this flight just to experience the cabin, and probably would shell out $300-400 for a longer red eye, but that’s my own subjective take.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:12 am

Why would they still operate the HKG flights with the leased aircraft from CX when deliveries from Airbus have presumably resumed ?
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Why would they still operate the HKG flights with the leased aircraft from CX when deliveries from Airbus have presumably resumed ?
I assume because they still have leases on the aircraft and also because travel is booming - QR need every frame they can get for the current expansion. They are still taking on at least one more ex-Cathay B777.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:30 am

Plus 14 A350s are still grounded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.