Wiki Posts
Search

Were QR correct to offload us?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Were QR correct to offload us?

This happened last week, for the first time in flying Qatar for over 15 years, we didn’t make a flight connection.
We flew in on QR4 from LHR ETA 2350, ATA 0008. (18 mins late)
Due to connect with QR1002 DXB. ETD 0055.
We were off the plane at 0020 & straight into the terminal, no transfer security, at Gate B3.
We rushed to Gate C93 (bus gate) & were there at 0030hrs (25mins b4 departure)
At the gate it was showing “Final Call” & they were actively looking for DXB pax.
We made it, so we thought, Boarding passes scanned, beeped & gate agent mumbled something about Sharjah?
Then the other agent said we were offloaded due to missed connection, I pointed out the “Final Call” & we are here.
She said rebooked to Sharjah in 7 hours, I was not happy, then a Supervisor took us away from the gate, upstairs & pointed us in the direction of Customer Services.
If the flight was closed, I would have just accepted it without any issue.
QR1002 departed at 0127hrs (32mins late). 57mins after we reached the gate.

Was I right to be annoyed or is this usual practice?

Also when we deplaned at Gate B3, they were actively looking for Tehran pax, but not DXB pax, ETD0055 the same as DXB flight.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just theorising but I'm guessing the "system" thought a misconect was inevitable and you were offloaded. I assume then they might have used your seats for other pax?
N1120A and Loungeabout like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:25 am
Original Poster

That’s what I was thinking, the computer says no & that was it. They said the system wouldn’t allow them to put us back on the flight.
We turned down the Sharjah option, as they wouldn’t provide transport from Sharjah to Dubai & we stay at the Marina end of Dubai anyway.
I really wish QR would lay on 1 or 2 flights at a reasonable hour from DXB or even DWC, surely there are slots available?
Schwann likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:36 am

DXB flights are rather inconvenient. I assume this is what they have to live with (only late evening slots). How did you manage to get to DXB? New tickets?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsberlin
DXB flights are rather inconvenient. I assume this is what they have to live with (only late evening slots). How did you manage to get to DXB? New tickets?
Sorry, I forgot to say, once we rejected the SHJ option, they immediately offered seats on next DXB flight @ 1845 & a hotel for the day.

To be fair, they were very efficient & we were at the Riviera Hotel by 0230hrs, vouchers for breakfast & lunch.

We would of been there sooner, but were stuck at immigration for 50mins, I thought Platinum could go to a different queue, but they said we couldn’t use The Al Mourjan/ Al Safwa exit.
florin, Schwann, AR_B and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Loungeabout
... I thought Platinum could go to a different queue, but they said we couldn’t use The Al Mourjan/ Al Safwa exit.
Plats can use the Al Maha exit, just as efficient - its exactly on the other side of the Safwa/Mourjan arrivals, basically instead of going left after you come into the immigration hall, you go right...
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:18 am

This happened to me about 10 years ago. 50 min scheduled connection, arrived 10 mins late.

It is really frustrating, especially when you can see the connection hasn't even started boarding yet. But they said because the inbound left 10 mins late the system had me down as a misconnect from then, rather than when I arrived, and my seat had been given away whilst I was in the air.
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:24 am

Had this happen before. flight arrived late, but we were let out into the terminal and didn't have to clear security and the gate for my connecting flight was next door. they were able to un-offload us and put us back on at the gate.
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:55 am

At least coming from London you can claim for UK261 compensation and get your £520 per passenger for the hefty delay in reaching your final destination.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
SOmetimes, airlines expect your bags not to arrive as fast as you did and decide to offload you.
Did you have checked bags?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:12 am

It should also be said that the 45 mins can be a bit flexible if there are a lot of people connecting between the same flights, in which case the second flight might get held a short while for the delayed inbound. I've benefitted from that a few times, although things did seem to be a touch more flexible at the old airport (yes, still mourning the Premium Terminal...)
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by KingCanute
still mourning the Premium Terminal...
Ah yes... some pics from November 2013... remember those jacket stands? ISTR they had them in Al Safwa for a while, but haven't noticed them recently.

Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ziek
Plats can use the Al Maha exit, just as efficient - its exactly on the other side of the Safwa/Mourjan arrivals, basically instead of going left after you come into the immigration hall, you go right...
I knew it, I asked at the information desk by immigration & they point blank said that as we were economy join the long queue.
Will just head straight for Al Maha next time, many thanks.

The way back thru immigration was just as bad, everyone was directed to the Smart Gates, which 90% of people, including us, aren’t registered for. Then we joined the queue, which turned out to be two queues going into one, which took 45mins, this was at 1500hrs.
Any benefits for Platinum on going thru immigration on entry to HIA?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
At least coming from London you can claim for UK261 compensation and get your £520 per passenger for the hefty delay in reaching your final destination.
As a member of Flyertalk, I am ashamed to say this hadn’t occurred to me, in my head I was thinking non eu carrier from non eu city.
Many thanks, I’ll get on it right away.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
SOmetimes, airlines expect your bags not to arrive as fast as you did and decide to offload you.
Did you have checked bags?
Yes, we did, annoyingly one really small suitcase, lesson learnt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.