Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doha to HKG: Still on ex-CX planes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Doha to HKG: Still on ex-CX planes?

Considering some mileage tickets in Biz on this route, and am wondering if we'll get the reverse herringbones or the QSuites. F would be nice on the ex-Cathay planes if it opens up!
Old Jun 9, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There are two flights a day - one appears to be a QR A350 and one on a Qathay 777.
18wheeler_vanrekt likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 12:55 pm

Just booked F for next Easter still showing Qathay 777.
What would happen if downgraded to J due to plane swap? Same points required for F and J BTW.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Qatar has a nasty habit of swapping planes at the last minute, on these Qatar Pacific flights perhaps there is slightly less chance as the planes seem fixed to routes (HKG, MLE?), but they don't have many of them so if one goes tech or is delayed a lot on the inbound you'd be stuck.

If they did the equipment swap:
  • In advance, don't think there is much you can do (I had F booked on an award ticket and then they pulled it from the entire schedule for months, though this was back during COVID as they seemed to have decided to redirect the planes, I had the Qatar Pacific plane on IST-DOH about the same time as my original ticket). I was just automatically downgraded to J by the system and my ticket reissued, no first class lounge access given or any other "sorry".
  • If on the day I guess you can decide then whether you want to wait a day for the next flight 24 hours later, or get on the original timing in J. Hopefully that would happen by the time you were in the first class lounge (not really worth that much more IMHO, but something for nothing), but it is impossible to really guess when they may do it. Per many other on this forum complaining and my own experiences, equipment swaps can happen only an hour or two before the flight and you would only realise when you go to board and get a new seat number (not sure how this would happen in the F lounge, since you board from there).
Since the program you are booking with doesn't charge a difference between J and F for points I guess you don't get a rebate, there is no EU compensation in this case and I wouldn't expect Qatar to do anything, so you have to hope the equipment sticks! Personally (and I do have a Qatar F on this route booked later this year but paying many more Avios for the seat) I would rather have QSuites consistently than the current sub-premium aircraft that we get on the HKG route at the moment.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: QRPC Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Considering some mileage tickets in Biz on this route, and am wondering if we'll get the reverse herringbones or the QSuites. F would be nice on the ex-Cathay planes if it opens up!
From 1 July, QR816/815 will be changing to ex-Cathay aircraft. QR818/817 remains the same.
This change will last for the whole summer season.

The "default" setting on the aircraft equipment for winter are:
QR818/817: 777-300ER ex. Cathay aircraft
QR816/815: 787-8

A350-900 for QR816/815 is a temporary swap only for this June, possibly due to A7-BOH and A7-BOI are not ready enter into service.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Originally Posted by arxxxx
From 1 July, QR816/815 will be changing to ex-Cathay aircraft. QR818/817 remains the same.
This change will last for the whole summer season.

The "default" setting on the aircraft equipment for winter are:
QR818/817: 777-300ER ex. Cathay aircraft
QR816/815: 787-8

A350-900 for QR816/815 is a temporary swap only for this June, possibly due to A7-BOH and A7-BOI are not ready enter into service.
Wow so both HKG flights are going exCathay? This is so disappointing when we used to have the Qsuites and fares exHKG are some of the most expensive in Asia...
brunos likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Wow so both HKG flights are going exCathay? This is so disappointing when we used to have the Qsuites and fares exHKG are some of the most expensive in Asia...
Just wait until you get the bus gates in DOH in both directions... Qatar knows exactly how premium the HKG route is at the moment for their schedule. Perhaps there are good reasons for it, i.e. the 77Ws still get maintained in HKG; They had to increase HKG to twice daily when it wasn't originally planned due to the late exit from COVID; They park them far away in DOH to better manage the first class bus transfers... It isn't like there is much competition at the moment sadly - getting a Cathay lie flat bed out of HKG is probably the default expectation for most people, at least the meal and in-flight service are better on QR (hopefully just for the moment).
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:34 pm

Agree that it is disappointing to lose Q Suites in HKG route, but using exCathay aircraft is probably due to high demand on premium class (Business + First)

For example in May, there were more than 25 days when more than 43 passengers travelled QR818/817 in premium cabin.

There were a few days QR818/817 had 100% loading on premium cabin.

If QR use 777-300ER with 42J, there is a chance that business cabin will full, but around 70-80% loading in economy.
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Just wait until you get the bus gates in DOH in both directions... Qatar knows exactly how premium the HKG route is at the moment for their schedule. Perhaps there are good reasons for it, i.e. the 77Ws still get maintained in HKG; They had to increase HKG to twice daily when it wasn't originally planned due to the late exit from COVID; They park them far away in DOH to better manage the first class bus transfers... It isn't like there is much competition at the moment sadly - getting a Cathay lie flat bed out of HKG is probably the default expectation for most people, at least the meal and in-flight service are better on QR (hopefully just for the moment).
There is another reason why QR818/817 usually park far away in DOH (ie the end of the runways), I realised this after the satelite map updated at the beginning of this month.
All remote stands starting with Ds and Es have been demolished for airport extension phase 2, roughly guessing from mid January 2023

When QR817/815 park at a stand at the north end of the runway, there is a higher chance that transit passengers are being dropped off at gates C30-C43 and no need to do transit security.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Agree that it is disappointing to lose Q Suites in HKG route, but using exCathay aircraft is probably due to high demand on premium class (Business + First)

For example in May, there were more than 25 days when more than 43 passengers travelled QR818/817 in premium cabin.

There were a few days QR818/817 had 100% loading on premium cabin.

If QR use 777-300ER with 42J, there is a chance that business cabin will full, but around 70-80% loading in economy.
QR gives out Premium Economy for free (they sell as Economy) to status members or at an extra charge for non-status member.

Last time my flight HKG-DOH had just 1x person in F class cabin too with her partner in J mini-cabin (so maybe an upgrade)...

The sad part is also that I actually don't feel these planes are well-maintained - at least A7-BOB was pretty in pretty bad shape with seat 11K falling apart
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Being based in HK, I have used CX J hundreds of time. QR many dozens.
CX Cirrus seat is less spacious than QR 777 herringbone. The screen is much smaller.
To me, it is a slight downgrade from the QR J hard product, and a big one from Qsuite.
littlevoices likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 12, 2023 at 2:05 am
Old Jun 13, 2023, 6:15 am

QR gives out Premium Economy for free (they sell as Economy) to status members or at an extra charge for non-status member.

Last time my flight HKG-DOH had just 1x person in F class cabin too with her partner in J mini-cabin (so maybe an upgrade)...

The sad part is also that I actually don't feel these planes are well-maintained - at least A7-BOB was pretty in pretty bad shape with seat 11K falling apart
QR is selling rows 30 to 34 as Comfort+
Non-status passengers who purchased classic / convenience fare tickets would like to choose these seats will charge QAR 610 extra
Slightly cheaper for Burgundy members
Around 25% off for Silver members
Free seat selection on Confort+ only applies to QRPC gold and platinum members, as well as all customers purchased Comfort fare ticket
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: QRPC Silver
I did QR817 (1930 HKG departure) two weeks ago and QR816 (0825 DOH departure) this week. I'm glad I caught QR816 on the A350 for this June, took the cash upgrade

QR is selling rows 30 to 34 as Comfort+
Non-status passengers who purchased classic / convenience fare tickets would like to choose these seats will charge QAR 610 extra
Slightly cheaper for Burgundy members
Around 25% off for Silver members
Free seat selection on Confort+ only applies to QRPC gold and platinum members, as well as all customers purchased Comfort fare ticket
I was eyeing the ex-CX Y+ seats, was about 1000HKD on classic/convenience (Burgundy) and free for Comfort fare which I ended up doing.

A7-BOD was in terrible shape. I'd even say the Y+ (2-4-2) seats looked worse than the Y (3-4-3) seats. I was in 34K. There was a strip loose on the floor where my feet rested, entertainment screen very unresponsive and also loose. I paid for the extra space and recline which I highly appreciate but even as a regular CX flyer I'm not use to CX planes looking like this!
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:34 pm

I also just flew this route on 817/818
The condition of the plane was terrible. Everything was falling apart, loose parts everywhere, IFE wasn’t working in some seats. I flew these planes when they were CX many times and it was shocking to See the condition they are in now.

The location they park at Doha is also ridiculous. The transfer to the terminal; including the waiting for the bus can take up to 60 mins.
littlevoices and timtamw like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Looks like this winter, 2 of 3 HKG flights are on the 777-300ERs? (2 a.m. and 8:50 a.m. departures from HKG specifically)

Can anyone comment on the First Class cabin service on this route? Specifically departing Doha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.