Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA misconnect to QR

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Interesting, thanks. If AA on a separate feeder ticket would go into bat for someone to get them to another airline's long haul destination, and then also argue their case to preserve the return, that really is good service (compared with what I'm used to...)
So basically AA said that their responsibility was to get me to ORD and they would have prior to 11:59p (or they would have to pay for hotel and incidentals apparently) had I not left the plane (which was changed two times! They said that they have no way (??) to see what I did on my QR flight so it is not something they would even be able to access. BUT I know they could have done something and they would have years ago - not anymore. Moral is get 1 booking and buy insurance!
Old May 30, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The complete fare rules are notoriously difficult to find after the purchase is complete. I don't recall seeing a complete copy being sent with the e-ticket receipt from QR. You'll probably have to go through the call centre anyway, so you might want to think about exactly what you want before calling.

Given the steep no-show fee (and the potential for a change fee on top of that), consider refunding the ticket and find another option to get to BKK. If you want to salvage your ticket by changing it, you'd be captive to QR's pricing.

So N1Rotate's message said that the rules are the HIGHER of no show or change fee. No show is $4000 and change fee is $2700. So for my $9k ticket I will get back $5000 if I understand this correctly. Still working to figure this out and if I cannot in a day or two, perhaps this is the option I will take.

And N1 also suggested going to MMB, but I do not get an option to change/cancel etc. I know I had seen this on the QR MMB a month ago when I tried it to see what would happen. Just don't see it anymore.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flying_geek
The only experience I had was a AA to HKG flight and a CX award on Avios. That was at least 5 years ago and AA got CX to open up inventory on a later flight and the return (to HKG) stayed intact. All my other flights were connections to some sort of partner award which were one ways. I assume they would work with the OW partner to preserve the return but have no actual experience. There are some threads on that policy in the AA forum where you might find out more.
Five years ago, AA policy was to protect against AA/oneworld tickets on separate PNRs. Protection meant "taking over" the other carrier's ticket, and rebooking the distressed passenger, so it makes sense that the return flight would be undisturbed.

A few years ago, AA's published protection policy changed: it is now silent as to whether tickets on separate PNRs are protected. (It doesn't say yes, and it doesn't say no.) One poster with good information about AA's inner workings posted that the silence in the new published policy did not reflect any change in the actual protection policy. But several posters have since reported that AA did not re-accommodate them when they missed their second flight booked in a separate PNR.
DiamondMile and commodities like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Five years ago, AA policy was to protect against AA/oneworld tickets on separate PNRs. Protection meant "taking over" the other carrier's ticket, and rebooking the distressed passenger, so it makes sense that the return flight would be undisturbed.

A few years ago, AA's published protection policy changed: it is now silent as to whether tickets on separate PNRs are protected. (It doesn't say yes, and it doesn't say no.) One poster with good information about AA's inner workings posted that the silence in the new published policy did not reflect any change in the actual protection policy. But several posters have since reported that AA did not re-accommodate them when they missed their second flight booked in a separate PNR.
While at the airport, I did talk to the ground staff and specifically mentioned that this is ALL Oneworld airlines. But their curt answer was - but it is on a different booking. I think it maybe one of those luck of the draw thing depending on which agent you get....but who knows. Add me to the "did not re-accomodate" camp.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:16 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to hear, definitely it was not a good travel day for you.

If it happens again in the future:
1) I would look at other departure cities like SFO, LAX, DFW, or SFO and see if QR (if you want to fly on QR) had any availabilities on those flights, even the next day. That way you only miss one day at your final destination, and all is not lost

2) Once confirmed, book which ever airline in any class that can get you to your connecting QR flight.

3) If number one fails, then book new ticket west bound over the Pacific vs east bound, to get to BKK on time. in order to minimize loss of Thailand bookings, and use QR credit for future travel.
commodities likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
commodities Did you finally get to BKK?

I was contemplating a similar 2-PNR for this summer but was too anxious. I ultimately found a different route that requires a two hour drive to airport, but I won’t be so stressed. I appreciated your story as it reminds me these crises do happen.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

what's AA protection policy for tickets on same PNR? i booked CLE-BKK through capitalonetravel with CLE-PHL on AA, 2 hr layover, then QR to DOH and BKK.
AA notified me of CLE-PHL delay 3 hours before departure, so I didn't check-in. capitalone said QR will handle reaccommodation. QR offered to book me for the same itinerary next day. they said there was nothing else available for that day.
if i'd asked AA, would they have been able to book me into a quicker alternative route, like CLE-JFK on AA and JFK-BKK on QR (both of which were available for cash purchase), since the missed flight was their fault after all?

can i expect any compensation from QR or AA for the significant delay?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ffly45
what's AA protection policy for tickets on same PNR? i booked CLE-BKK through capitalonetravel with CLE-PHL on AA, 2 hr layover, then QR to DOH and BKK.
AA notified me of CLE-PHL delay 3 hours before departure, so I didn't check-in. capitalone said QR will handle reaccommodation. QR offered to book me for the same itinerary next day. they said there was nothing else available for that day.
if i'd asked AA, would they have been able to book me into a quicker alternative route, like CLE-JFK on AA and JFK-BKK on QR (both of which were available for cash purchase), since the missed flight was their fault after all?

can i expect any compensation from QR or AA for the significant delay?
AA's policy is to protect on a single PNR involving travel with AA and another oneworld carrier. It would be AA's responsibility, as the carrier which caused the mis-connection, to rebook you. Had you asked, you might have been rebooked through TYO or even through HEL.

You are not due any compensation, but AA might opt to give you some miles as a customer-service gesture for your inconvenience.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
2 hours between bookings is just asking for trouble.

Did they rebook you for free or did you need to pay?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
2 hours between bookings is just asking for trouble.

Did they rebook you for free or did you need to pay?
all the flights were part of a single booking, so i think they had an obligation to rebook me for free.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ffly45
all the flights were part of a single booking, so i think they had an obligation to rebook me for free.
Oh sorry yes, I misread your post! In this case of course they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.