Search

10 hour night layover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
10 hour night layover

Hey all, hope this is okay to post!

First time flying through DOH, so looking for a bit of advice. I arrive from Bangkok about 10pm and my flight to Miami is 8am next morning. Leaves me about 10 hours layover in DOH overnight. Having never flown through the airport I was wondering what you would do?

- I am flying business so have lounge access
- I don’t qualify for the free layover hotel as there are flights with a shorter layover (but were insanely expensive)

What would you do?

- Have a feeling I might go mad waiting around lounges for that long but maybe I should stay up and work to minimise jet lag somewhat?
- Book the Hyatt near the airport? Seeing I can get a very discounted rate through Qatar. How easy is it to get a taxi to and from the airport at all hours and will it be fairly easy for me to leave the airport in good time? I would hate to get delayed too much and only get an hour or so at the hotel.

Total DOH novice so excuse the potentially dumb questions and thanks so much for your help in advance!
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC
I had the same question back in 2016 with the advent of free visas to enter Qatar... My historical thread is still valid - the main update is the advent of the Metro which is another option to get into the city, although it doesn't run all the way through the night.

QR free transit visa - DIY Doha night tour?

Hope it gives you some ideas...
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:21 am

What you do is have a drink with me in Al Mourjan since I have a 15 hour layover today and not so many things to do, just a bit of work
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sauraigne
What you do is have a drink with me in Al Mourjan since I have a 15 hour layover today and not so many things to do, just a bit of work
I would! But I’m travelling later this month unfortunately
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just to chip in if you decide to go landside you will need to buy insurance which is accepted by Qatari officials.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Just to chip in if you decide to go landside you will need to buy insurance which is accepted by Qatari officials.
I think no longer required for trips under 30 days?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lewis King
I think no longer required for trips under 30 days?
Correct, although if you were to look at the Qatari Health Ministry website it still hasn't been updated with the revised policy.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
When I had a similar length layover, I took a taxi to cehck out the corniche and souk. I'd recommend it over spending the entire time in the lounge.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vestry
When I had a similar length layover, I took a taxi to cehck out the corniche and souk. I'd recommend it over spending the entire time in the lounge.
Thanks, is that something you'd recommend in the hours of 10pm - 8am like mine? Are things open? Am I good to just walk around?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
Correct, although if you were to look at the Qatari Health Ministry website it still hasn't been updated with the revised policy.
Neither has the UK's!
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Getting a taxi or Uber/Careem is easy. The latter are cheaper but you'll need an internet connection (the airport wifi can be a bit patchy once you are landside).

As a J passenger you'll get through the exit formalities quickly by heading for the QR immigration lounge to your left (as you face the bank of regular immigration desks)

Up to you if you want to go to the souq or prefer to find a hotel. I'd favour bed and shower at a hotel: you can find good places for under $100. If you prefer familiar brands there's a Hilton Garden Inn and a Doubletree between the corniche and the souq, a Sheraton 4 points at Msheireb, near the souq, and a Holiday inn and Crowne Plaza a tad closer to the airport.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/t...uirements.html

Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Getting a taxi or Uber/Careem is easy. The latter are cheaper but you'll need an internet connection (the airport wifi can be a bit patchy once you are landside).

As a J passenger you'll get through the exit formalities quickly by heading for the QR immigration lounge to your left (as you face the bank of regular immigration desks)

Up to you if you want to go to the souq or prefer to find a hotel. I'd favour bed and shower at a hotel: you can find good places for under $100. If you prefer familiar brands there's a Hilton Garden Inn and a Doubletree between the corniche and the souq, a Sheraton 4 points at Msheireb, near the souq, and a Holiday inn and Crowne Plaza a tad closer to the airport.
Thanks so much! I guess when I land I would just go to arrivals instead of transfers. My checked in bags would be sent through to Miami I guess; that's fine - I won't need anything from them. I can leave them in the system and exit, right? I think I've convinced myself to stay at the Hyatt just near the airport. It's something like £30 via Qatar's hotel program.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
I deliberately went for a 10 hour layover in DOH on a forthcoming MEL-DOH-MXP flight (which keeps similar hours to you - 9.45 hour transit getting in at 22.50 and out at 8.35). As I'm flying in Y, there are three of us in my party, the discounted hotels through the stopover program are only for 12 hour+ transits, and the free transit accommodation is only if there are no shorter transits, I've booked the (extortionately expensive) airside hotel and hope to get a few hours sleep as I figure it'll help adjust to Milan time. After checkout, depending on time to departure, I'll either find the Priority Pass lounge (Al Maha) or just grab breakfast in the airport...
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MELso
I deliberately went for a 10 hour layover in DOH on a forthcoming MEL-DOH-MXP flight (which keeps similar hours to you - 9.45 hour transit getting in at 22.50 and out at 8.35). As I'm flying in Y, there are three of us in my party, the discounted hotels through the stopover program are only for 12 hour+ transits, and the free transit accommodation is only if there are no shorter transits, I've booked the (extortionately expensive) airside hotel and hope to get a few hours sleep as I figure it'll help adjust to Milan time. After checkout, depending on time to departure, I'll either find the Priority Pass lounge (Al Maha) or just grab breakfast in the airport...
Ah, I didn't realise the stopover hotel was for 12+ hours only. That settles it, I'll stay in the airport and chill at a lounge. Thanks all!
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King
Ah, I didn't realise the stopover hotel was for 12+ hours only. That settles it, I'll stay in the airport and chill at a lounge. Thanks all!
It's not if you are using the recently re-introduced STPC program. It's 8 to 24 hours. See this thread for some discussion and a link to the QR website details page:

STPC is back at HIA

Although you have selected a longer transit you may still get something with a partial payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.