Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Avios.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Best use of Avios.

Hello I going to use my Avios for our first flight with Qatar in Business class for 2pp in 2024. We are based in Toronto but will need to fly to YUL to catch the Flight on Qatar as they don't serve YYZ. Now what is the best way to get the most out of our first experience in Business with Qsuites? We are also going onto BKK or Singapore from Doha. My dilemma is do we fly from yyz to Europe on a separate points program then use Avios on Qatar to Doha from Europe then to BKK or Singapore on Qatar? Just looking for the best way to utilize my Avios pts as we only have enough pts for two One way tickets for 2 ppl. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
What is your primary purpose here? What are your priorities? Is using Avios to fly QR J more important than going to BKK / SIN?
It's a matter of personal preference, of course. A short connecting flight to YUL sounds better than flying to Europe to connect to QR. Maybe explore other options relatively close, such as BOS.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
What is your primary purpose here? What are your priorities? Is using Avios to fly QR J more important than going to BKK / SIN?
It's a matter of personal preference, of course. A short connecting flight to YUL sounds better than flying to Europe to connect to QR. Maybe explore other options relatively close, such as BOS.
Thanks Just wanted to make sure I was making use of my pts the best way possible.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:01 am

A one way redemption LHR-BKK in J is 75,000 avios. From YUL-BKK is 95,000.

So the longer journey may be better value in terms of distance per point.
Ramz likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:06 am

Better value for money is usually found by buying an economy ticket(s) and using miles/points to upgrade.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Better value for money is usually found by buying an economy ticket(s) and using miles/points to upgrade.
close.. better use is actually prem economy then upgrading using points... or QR to Aus or NZ in J
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ramz
Thanks Just wanted to make sure I was making use of my pts the best way possible.
How many total QR Avios do you have? Do you have -- or can you acquire -- any BA Avios? It is now possible to transfer Avios between frequent-flyer programs that use them as their "currency."
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Never thought about that thanks will look into it.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How many total QR Avios do you have? Do you have -- or can you acquire -- any BA Avios? It is now possible to transfer Avios between frequent-flyer programs that use them as their "currency."
We have 2 hundred thousand and that for two people enough for a OW ticket in business.

Last edited by Ramz; Mar 25, 2023 at 2:59 am
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:55 am

I would check availability and factor in the cost of getting back to YUL. You might get better value not flying QR oneway.
Ramz likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Not with QR, as upgrade cost in avios is almost the same as award cost in J, and often even more.
YUL-BKK award is 95 Kavios and YUL-BKK upgrade is 122.5Kavios (if the economy ticket is booked in O, T, N or Q).
KingCanute and Qsing like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4
Not with QR, as upgrade cost in avios is almost the same as award cost in J, and often even more.
YUL-BKK award is 95 Kavios and YUL-BKK upgrade is 122.5Kavios (if the economy ticket is booked in O, T, N or Q).
You then need to work out pence or cents per mile so it depends on the revenue price of each ticket which is the better value, and for the cheapest fare buckets you're right. Would it still be true for higher fare buckets? I expect so in your example.

I must admit I had my pre-covid pricing head on when I posted before, but the subsequent hike in revenue ticket prices makes a big difference. In fact, if there's availability it now can be cheaper buying miles to book Business Class than it is to purchase with cash in some cases. I don't think that would have been the case before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.