Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Which ADL lounge are QR using & am I allowed 1 guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which ADL lounge are QR using & am I allowed 1 guest?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Question Which ADL lounge are QR using & am I allowed 1 guest?

I'm flying ADL-DOH-LHR on Fri 7 April, leaving ADL at 9.20pm. I'm in Business and I also have OWE status. Can anyone with recent experience flying QR out of ADL to DOH tell me which lounge (if any!) I can use at Adelaide, and if I will be allowed to guest 1 person (travelling on the same flight in Economy)??

Looking online, it seems that post-Covid the Qantas International Club lounge in Adelaide is closed in the evenings (as the only Qantas flights are domestic). There are reports that QR have done a deal to use the Virgin (domestic) lounge instead but also reports that people have been turned away and given a $40 voucher to use at the Penfolds bar instead.

I can't see anything current so I'm hoping someone might have travelled from ADL recently and can share their experience please?

Partly I want to know for my own sanity as I don't want to arrive at the airport 3 hours early and there be no lounge access and very little open (it will already have been a long day and ideally I would have been hoping for a pre-flight meal and a glass of bubbles), especially with some uncertainty over what will be available in the DOH lounges as it will be Ramadan when I transit there.

Also because I know of someone travelling on the same flight as me but in Economy and it will be her first ever international flight (she's quite nervous about it) and I was hoping I could guest her into the Adelaide lounge to start her trip off nicely. If it's the Virgin lounge, will I be allowed a guest or will it be QR's 'unique' lounge rules that only Business (or First) passengers get access and no guests allowed? If there's no lounge at all, will they give her a $40 voucher too as my aspirational lounge guest? I'm assuming not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience they can share please.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:02 am

Short answer NONE.
There is a new lounge just opened (plaza premium) - i entered as a Amex Plat card holder (was Flying QR-J but couldnt access that way).
They are in talks with QR about making this lounge available to QR passengers, unsure of timeframes
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:53 pm

You have access to Virgin Australia and Qantas lounges if they are open. VA should be open since they have departurees at that time. I am unsure,about Qantas because they close,after their last flight. Qantas allows you to bring a guest if you are at least OW Sapphire.
On my boarding pass a few days ago there,was printed an invitation to VA lounge but I don”t know if they allow guests since they are not a member of OW. I chose the QF lounge since it has a few more food options. I was on the 12.40 QR flight so I cannot say if QF is open when you leave.
spizzy likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Short answer NONE.
There is a new lounge just opened (plaza premium) - i entered as a Amex Plat card holder (was Flying QR-J but couldnt access that way).
They are in talks with QR about making this lounge available to QR passengers, unsure of timeframes
Thanks for this. It looks like the PP lounge closes at 12 noon at present anyway? Although I've read that they find out on 28th March if they have a liquor licence so maybe that will change things, who knows.

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time at the Penfolds Bar and my Y travelling friend won't get to experience a lounge.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palle
You have access to Virgin Australia and Qantas lounges if they are open. VA should be open since they have departurees at that time. I am unsure,about Qantas because they close,after their last flight. Qantas allows you to bring a guest if you are at least OW Sapphire.
On my boarding pass a few days ago there,was printed an invitation to VA lounge but I don”t know if they allow guests since they are not a member of OW. I chose the QF lounge since it has a few more food options. I was on the 12.40 QR flight so I cannot say if QF is open when you leave.
Thanks!! Looks like QF will be closed as my QR flight is later (9.20pm) than any of their domestic flights. Doesn't bode well for guest access to VA. I suspect QR will understandably only pay for QR Business travellers to access VA's lounge (which is understandable). My Skyteam status would have given us access to VA's lounge (if we were on Skyteam flights - which we're obviously not) but it ran out 4 days ago. Typical!
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by bibbju
Thanks for this. It looks like the PP lounge closes at 12 noon at present anyway? Although I've read that they find out on 28th March if they have a liquor licence so maybe that will change things, who knows.

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time at the Penfolds Bar and my Y travelling friend won't get to experience a lounge.
it was open in the evening when i was on the AKL-ADL-DOH flight a few days ago till i left at 10pm ish, but yeah there was no booze, and the food offerings werent great either.. i ordered hot wings.. and im pretty sure they were microwaved (and not the well)... the lounge itself is actually really nice, shame about the food and beverage options
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:50 pm

Virgin don't allow their own business class flyers to bring in a guest unless they have status so I would say there is little hope for you to bring one unfortunately.
On a side note the Penfolds bar isn't a bad place to spend some time.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Virgin don't allow their own business class flyers to bring in a guest unless they have status so I would say there is little hope for you to bring one unfortunately.
On a side note the Penfolds bar isn't a bad place to spend some time.
This is my (slight) frustration with QR. I'm flying Business with QR but I'm also One World Emerald so I should be able to take a guest (travelling on the same flight as me) into a lounge. Instead it seems there's probably no lounge for me, let alone the guest. Grrr QR.

I will console myself at the Penfolds bar (and am already booked for a tour and tastings at Penfolds Magill earlier in the day). Just sad to disappoint my guest as I wanted to make her first ever international flight (as a 40 something!) a bit of an occasion.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
I'm in the VA lounge in ADL right now, about to fly ADL-MEL-DOH on QR989.

Printed on the boarding card it says "VA Lounge Access +1 Guest"

Spike

bibbju, nexus007 and spizzy like this.

Last edited by Funky Spike; Mar 14, 2023 at 6:46 pm Reason: add pic
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...... My Skyteam status would have given us access to VA's lounge (if we were on Skyteam flights - which we're obviously not) but it ran out 4 days ago. Typical!
How? Virgin Australia VA is not a member of Skyteam. But VA is a freq flyer partner of some ST airlines. But now not a ffp of DL.

The QF & VA lounges are air side in the domestic area after security
From that area you process AU exit emigration and to the international air side part of the airport. So takes a little more time than just walking.
https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/
https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/travellers-guide/
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Funky Spike
I'm in the VA lounge in ADL right now, about to fly ADL-MEL-DOH on QR989.

Printed on the boarding card it says "VA Lounge Access +1 Guest"

Spike

Spike, you are a complete superstar! Thank you so much for sharing this. This is great news. You've made my morning (it's 9am here in London). Have a good flight and thank you again!
Funky Spike and spizzy like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:38 pm

Spike, you are a complete superstar! Thank you so much for sharing this. This is great news. You've made my morning (it's 9am here in London). Have a good flight and thank you again!
I tried the Qantas Club and VA lounge.
Both are typical Australian domestic lounges. Not a huge selection of food in either but the Qantas Club felt a nicer place to be. Both are before passport control.

There is a Plaza Premium Lounge after passport control but I didn't bother looking. I believe it closes at 2200.

Spike
bibbju and spizzy like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:25 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Funky Spike- OT- If possible can you post the Menus on your flight please (ADL-MEL, then MEL-DOH). Also how you fare with the MEL bit when you get off the plane what happens until your re-board? Have booked the same flight myself for later in the year. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by spizzy
Funky Spike- OT- If possible can you post the Menus on your flight please (ADL-MEL, then MEL-DOH). Also how you fare with the MEL bit when you get off the plane what happens until your re-board? Have booked the same flight myself for later in the year. Thanks.
Sorry, didn't take any menu pics. I was the only one in business ADL-MEL, and only 24 pax in total, and didn't eat, apparently there was a fruit platter from memory. I was too busy finishing the bottle of champagne they opened just for me and it really needed finishing on the short hop.

On arrival in MEL we had to leave the aircraft and came out directly in to the departure area, so no transit security just straight to the lounge.

Spike
babyg_wc, spizzy and US @ DEN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.