Search

Doha Hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Doha Hotel recommendation

Booking a Redemption to Sydney soon in Club/First

Thinking of flying daytime to Doha arriving Midnight and then going to a Hotel in Doha and doing the Islamic Museum before returning to the Lounge for the 8pm flight down to SYD.

What 4 or 5 star hotels would you recommend.

Not looking for QR stopover but paying for Hotel myself.

Alternately its the Airport Hotel which at least has a Pool.

Don't think my Liver can survive a 23 hr slog to Australia in one go at my age!

Also will the Lounges be serving alcohol discreetly in Doha Lounges as 'im travelling during the Ramadan Period! Will Hotel serve food in daylight hours?

Thanks for advise

SteveG
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveggetit
Booking a Redemption to Sydney soon in Club/First

Thinking of flying daytime to Doha arriving Midnight and then going to a Hotel in Doha and doing the Islamic Museum before returning to the Lounge for the 8pm flight down to SYD.

What 4 or 5 star hotels would you recommend.

Not looking for QR stopover but paying for Hotel myself.

Alternately its the Airport Hotel which at least has a Pool.

Don't think my Liver can survive a 23 hr slog to Australia in one go at my age!

Also will the Lounges be serving alcohol discreetly in Doha Lounges as 'im travelling during the Ramadan Period! Will Hotel serve food in daylight hours?

Thanks for advise

SteveG
JW Marriott.

Have fun.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I live and work in Doha so know the place well. My recommendation is the Al Wadi M-Gallery hotel. It's a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport in Msheireb, a really beautiful rejuvenated area of the city. The hotel is very fine and has a pool bar-restaurant 'O'Glacee' which is fun. The Museum of Islamic Art is a five minute taxi ride away but I would also recommend the Museum of Slavery which is within easy walking distance. Also it's a short stroll to Souq Waqif with its many restaurants, market stalls, spice shops, etc.

Yes, the lounges will discreetly serve alcohol - Same for the hotels. Food is no problem. However during daylight hours, out of respect to the local culture, you should not eat, drink or smoke in public during daylight hours.

Enjoy! Grantosol
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Thanks grantosol

Originally Posted by Grantosol
I live and work in Doha so know the place well. My recommendation is the Al Wadi M-Gallery hotel. It's a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport in Msheireb, a really beautiful rejuvenated area of the city. The hotel is very fine and has a pool bar-restaurant 'O'Glacee' which is fun. The Museum of Islamic Art is a five minute taxi ride away but I would also recommend the Museum of Slavery which is within easy walking distance. Also it's a short stroll to Souq Waqif with its many restaurants, market stalls, spice shops, etc.

Yes, the lounges will discreetly serve alcohol - Same for the hotels. Food is no problem. However during daylight hours, out of respect to the local culture, you should not eat, drink or smoke in public during daylight hours.

Enjoy! Grantosol
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:44 pm

If you have bonvoy points check that. Some very good options. I like the Marriotts and the Sheraton. The Sheraton has a decent beach.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:14 am

I always stay at the Radisson during my layovers, about 20 minutes by cab (60 QAR one way), they have a very nice rooftop bar and good restaurants - the Indian one is particularly good
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Grantosol

Enjoy! Grantosol
I agree with the Msheireb area if you are looking to be near the Souq and MIA. Park Hyatt is another option in the area too.
I would also recommend The Ned on the corniche which is within walking distance to both the Souq and MIA.
Other cheaper nearby options would be the Raddison Blu or Westin.

A lot of hotels now open some of their restaurants in the day time during Ramadan. In the past literally nothing was open! No alcohol though.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
A lot of hotels now open some of their restaurants in the day time during Ramadan. In the past literally nothing was open! No alcohol though.
Dont know about the others but Radisson delivers alcohol to the room even during the day
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by ziek
Dont know about the others but Radisson delivers alcohol to the room even during the day
Yes its available via room service for many hotels but not in any of the restaurants and the bars are closed for the entire month.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

So I have an upcoming 14 hour layover and thinking of getting a city hotel (never been inside Doha proper). It will be over Ramadan but the timings of my layover pretty much coincides with sundown (5pm arrival) and sunrise (7:55am departure). I was gonna just book something through discover Qatar, but I see a few hotels offering a special iftar/suhoor packages with both meals included. Some examples are the Marriot Marquis, the W, and the Alwadi. Have any of you done something like this during Ramadan? Also, as a non-Muslim, would it even be advisable for me to do an iftar or suhoor? Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by fender5787
Hey all,

So I have an upcoming 14 hour layover and thinking of getting a city hotel (never been inside Doha proper). It will be over Ramadan but the timings of my layover pretty much coincides with sundown (5pm arrival) and sunrise (7:55am departure). I was gonna just book something through discover Qatar, but I see a few hotels offering a special iftar/suhoor packages with both meals included. Some examples are the Marriot Marquis, the W, and the Alwadi. Have any of you done something like this during Ramadan? Also, as a non-Muslim, would it even be advisable for me to do an iftar or suhoor? Thanks!
Iftar and Suhoor are basically massive buffets! Its worth checking one out if you are in town. Everyone is invited and encouraged to go regardless of religion. Expats like myself get invited to them every year.
Suhoor is much later in the evening, often going on beyond midnight and it more chilled. Iftar can be a but more of a rush, especially at the beginning when everyone is breaking their fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.