When will flights to Penang resume

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

When will flights to Penang resume

Any thoughts on if the Doha to Penang flight will be resuming any time soon
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
No insight, random guess: not in the next six months, and probably not this year.

Routes like Penang, Chiang Mai, etc. are dependent upon QR having a full compliment of airframes, and it's not expected that they will get the twenty or so A350s that have been grounded by the recently settled Airbus dispute fully back into service this year.
This will release frames like the 788s that Qatar would typically use for marginal 2nd tier destinations such as these.
Schwann likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
No insight, random guess: not in the next six months, and probably not this year.

Routes like Penang, Chiang Mai, etc. are dependent upon QR having a full compliment of airframes, and it's not expected that they will get the twenty or so A350s that have been grounded by the recently settled Airbus dispute fully back into service this year.
This will release frames like the 788s that Qatar would typically use for marginal 2nd tier destinations such as these.
Thanks for your insight
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
They do seem to operate a service via HKT a few times a week..
am monitoring my return to DOH (QR843) in a few weeks time and some days that originates in BKK but others in Penang
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Delboy65
am monitoring my return to DOH (QR843) in a few weeks time and some days that originates in BKK but others in Penang
The tag on HKT has varied a bit - we flew it in august and our outbound went to SIN while the inbound had done BKK.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by plunet

There's a whole bunch of pre-covid routes that are yet to restart. Some of them I imagine never will?
CWL & BHX are two that I would like to see return, but like you say, nothing will happen until at least the A350's are back in the air.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
That one has also originated in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore in the past. They're cargo tag ons I believe.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Also China routes are resuming (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hangzhou) all daily so presumably they need to deploy whatever spare capacity they have to these flights
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
All the HKT tags are cargo-only. PEN is big for cargo. Schedule here: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230116-qrpen
florin and etiene like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
There's a whole bunch of pre-covid routes that are yet to restart. Some of them I imagine never will?
CWL & BHX are two that I would like to see return, but like you say, nothing will happen until at least the A350's are back in the air.
I've heard that BHX flights are resuming in June this year
Ben_W likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: QRPC Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by Ben_W
I used to travel to either CWL or BHX whichever is cheaper, rather than LHR. I remembered CWL was partially being funded by the Welsh government, so partly leads to a cheaper fare comparing to LHR.
The only benefits that I can think of when flying from LHR are the catering quality, frequency and the A380s.
As the grounded A350s will get back into the sky very soon, hopefully CWL or/and BHX can come back in October 2023. The check in staff in CWL are so much nicer than LHR.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: QRPC Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by Trevski220
I've heard that BHX flights are resuming in June this year
BHX reservation is still showing connecting through LHR or Germany, and there is no update on the timetable yet. Even though I really want BHX / CWL come back sooner rather than later, I doubt QR will resume it in June.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I suspect BHX will be back well before CWL. Although given that they're launching a 2nd daily Gatwick flight it shows where the money is.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by arxxxx
BHX reservation is still showing connecting through LHR or Germany, and there is no update on the timetable yet. Even though I really want BHX / CWL come back sooner rather than later, I doubt QR will resume it in June.
I have it on very good authority that it will resume in June
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
I suspect BHX will be back well before CWL. Although given that they're launching a 2nd daily Gatwick flight it shows where the money is.
Whilst the CWL flights started off slowly, by mid 2019 they were often full. A lot of people in the South West of England & Wales were able to avoid a 3/4 hour drive to LHR by going through CWL. It's also good for QA as even if the flights cost more than EK from LHR, the convenience and money saving from not having to travel to LHR is far more important for some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.