Wiki Posts
Search

Why is QR still not flying to Bahrain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Marriott Platinum
Why is QR still not flying to Bahrain?

Ever since Qatar restored relations with neighboring GCC countries, QR resumed flying to Saudi/Egyptian/UAE destinations -- but has still not resumed flying to Bahrain, which is puzzling because Bahrain had at least 11-12 daily flights to Doha on QR alone (5-6 on GF, if I remember correctly) prior to the diplomatic rift. Does anyone have the inside scoop of why? I would have thought QR would have at least restored service in time for the World Cup, but that didn't happen either.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by baflyer2
Ever since Qatar restored relations with neighboring GCC countries, QR resumed flying to Saudi/Egyptian/UAE destinations -- but has still not resumed flying to Bahrain, which is puzzling because Bahrain had at least 11-12 daily flights to Doha on QR alone (5-6 on GF, if I remember correctly) prior to the diplomatic rift. Does anyone have the inside scoop of why? I would have thought QR would have at least restored service in time for the World Cup, but that didn't happen either.
Qatar and Bahrain have not engaged in direct talks since the climb down of the Quartet. Qatar is on much better terms with Saudi Arabia and Egypt and they have even reopened embassies and sent ambassadors to resume their respective posts. The embassies have still not been reopened in the UAE nor Bahrain. However, the UAE has resumed direct flights. What is interesting is that Emirates does NOT currently fly between the two countries which has allowed Qatar Airways to keep prices jacked up on the DOH-DXB route.
As for Bahrain, there is a fair amount of bad blood between the two governments which has yet to be addressed in any meaningful way (Hawar Island grievance was once again raised on several occasions in addition to Bahrain once again claiming Al Zubarah Fort, which lies near the northwest coast of Qatar and is internationally recognised as Qatari land.). Since Bahrain is the poorest and smallest of the aggrieved parties, it almost looks like Qatar is giving Bahrain the cold shoulder and essentially saying 'go pound sand' until they are ready to engage.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Qatar and Bahrain have not engaged in direct talks since the climb down of the Quartet. Qatar is on much better terms with Saudi Arabia and Egypt and they have even reopened embassies and sent ambassadors to resume their respective posts. The embassies have still not been reopened in the UAE nor Bahrain. However, the UAE has resumed direct flights. What is interesting is that Emirates does NOT currently fly between the two countries which has allowed Qatar Airways to keep prices jacked up on the DOH-DXB route.
As for Bahrain, there is a fair amount of bad blood between the two governments which has yet to be addressed in any meaningful way (Hawar Island grievance was once again raised on several occasions in addition to Bahrain once again claiming Al Zubarah Fort, which lies near the northwest coast of Qatar and is internationally recognised as Qatari land.). Since Bahrain is the poorest and smallest of the aggrieved parties, it almost looks like Qatar is giving Bahrain the cold shoulder and essentially saying 'go pound sand' until they are ready to engage.
Yeah I cant see these flights restarting anytime soon. The World Cup was the perfect time for Bahrain to back down and get some tourism themselves so they missed out on that opportunity. I know many people who travelled for the World Cup and visited the region. Many sacked off going to Bahrain as it wasn't worth the hassle trying to get there.
Emirates is a strange one as the other airlines from UAE are all flying to Qatar now.
The DOH-DXB prices are a complete joke right now. For my next trip to Dubai in a couple of months time I am just going to drive there, will save me a small fortune!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:56 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Yeah I cant see these flights restarting anytime soon. The World Cup was the perfect time for Bahrain to back down and get some tourism themselves so they missed out on that opportunity. I know many people who travelled for the World Cup and visited the region. Many sacked off going to Bahrain as it wasn't worth the hassle trying to get there.
Emirates is a strange one as the other airlines from UAE are all flying to Qatar now.
The DOH-DXB prices are a complete joke right now. For my next trip to Dubai in a couple of months time I am just going to drive there, will save me a small fortune!
Quite funny because there were flights from Tel Aviv to Doha during the World Cup but not from Bahrain. Emirates, on the other hand, is a strange case as you had mentioned. You can book flights from Doha on emirates.com but all of the DOH-DXB flights are operated by FlyDubai on behalf of EK.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by baflyer2
There is significant bad blood between the states. This precedes the recent regional hostility towards Qatar.

The origin of the unhappiness involves a history of personal animosity berween ruling families, with a mess of wider political, religious and territorial issues.

As for the other states involved in the "embargo", UAE remains sulky while for KSA and Egypt things are largely back to normal
SullyofDoha and msm2000uk like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There is significant bad blood between the states. This precedes the recent regional hostility towards Qatar.

The origin of the unhappiness involves a history of personal animosity berween ruling families, with a mess of wider political, religious and territorial issues.

As for the other states involved in the "embargo", UAE remains sulky while for KSA and Egypt things are largely back to normal
I believe the last meaningful discussion between the countries ended with:

You take the gas. We will take the oil.

I've attended meetings & small dinners with members of the ruling families, and it's all been very amicable - but the younger generations are slightly more forward thinking than the Patriarchs,

M
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I believe the last meaningful discussion between the countries ended with:

You take the gas. We will take the oil.

I've attended meetings & small dinners with members of the ruling families, and it's all been very amicable - but the younger generations are slightly more forward thinking than the Patriarchs,

M
The move away from entrenched animosity between the ruling families began almost 30 year's ago when palace coups in Doha (1995) and Manama (1999) brought young Western-educated emirs to power, replacing their conservative fathers. Nevertheless, in spite of rulings by the International Court of Justice, territorial disputes involving islands and a fort located on the NW coast of Qatar remain issues which fuel mistrust and periodically bubble up as a traditional focus of ill-will between the two states.

Until 2002 Qatar was a joint owner of Gulf Air, based in Bahrain. It was the first of the GCC owners to withdraw from the Gulf venture.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The move away from entrenched animosity between the ruling families began almost 30 year's ago when palace coups in Doha (1995) and Manama (1999) brought young Western-educated emirs to power, replacing their conservative fathers. Nevertheless, in spite of rulings by the International Court of Justice, territorial disputes involving islands and a fort located on the NW coast of Qatar remain issues which fuel mistrust and periodically bubble up as a traditional focus of ill-will between the two states.

Until 2002 Qatar was a joint owner of Gulf Air, based in Bahrain. It was the first of the GCC owners to withdraw from the Gulf venture.
While Qatar did have a coup in 1995, Bahrain did not have a coup in 1999. The Emir died and his son took over.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
While Qatar did have a coup in 1995, Bahrain did not have a coup in 1999. The Emir died and his son took over.
You are of course correct, I was careless: the curse of smartphone contributions.

Hamad's succession in Manama was a fortuitous event rather than a coup, drawing a line under the unrest of the dignity movement.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Looks like they might resume soon finally.

And here the original news in Arabic.

I asked a source in Bahrain and he says it's true. Hoping for a more official announcement soon.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:50 am

Diplomatic relations are now officially restored.
Lets hope flights start again soon.
Could really do with Gulf Air (and Emirates) starting flights from Qatar again as the cost of flying out of the country is extortionate at the moment.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
It will be a wonderful sight to see the DOH-BAH market hit the roads again. It will be a nice 20 minute hop over to BAH instead of the 5 hour road trip hahah.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qraec777
It will be a wonderful sight to see the DOH-BAH market hit the roads again. It will be a nice 20 minute hop over to BAH instead of the 5 hour road trip hahah.
A Bahraini friend drove down to meet me last week and said it took him only 3 hours, using the coast road. I've an idea he discounted the causeway and the Salwa crossing, but I kept quiet
SullyofDoha and qraec777 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 2:08 am

It would be quite refreshing to finally get this route back on track.
Would be even better if QR started flying to DEN, but beggars can't be choosers.
I keep searching QR's website every day to see if BAH is back to being listed but no dice just yet.
I assume this also means QR will be allowed through Bahraini airspace again because judging by a couple of searches on flightradar24, it doesn't seem like QR were overflying it, so that'll save a lot of time for other flyers, too.

Last edited by Nayef; Apr 14, 2023 at 2:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.