Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR attempting bump to BA at check-in on QSuites award flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist

Checking in at DFW for an award seat to AMM and informed my booking won’t be honored and I need to accept a downgrade to economy or an itinerary on BA (CW on an A380 to LHR and then 5 hours in CE on an A320 to AMM).

There’s a line of us here that seem to have been bumped. There is no IRROPS angle - the expected aircraft is operating and there haven’t been any disruptions in the frequency that they’re working through. Seems just outright oversold and electing not to honor.

What are my best options here?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I'm guessing this is a QR award? Who informed you about the downgrade? How far ahead of the flight is this?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Ask why they're insisting on downgrading you on BA, as there are still J seats available for sale. If they're bumping you then they should offer a comparable alternative.

Who issued your ticket? QR or partner? If you accept the downgrade, you'll have to claim reimbursement from whichever program issued it. Just don't expect anything more than the mileage difference
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

AA award on QR. Flight departs in 2 hours.

I expect they’ve selected BA because there is a route (DFW-LHR-AMM) that works in biz that’s not terribly different in timing (longer LHR layover, but time saved on overall distance).
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jef787
AA award on QR. Flight departs in 2 hours.

I expect they’ve selected BA because there is a route (DFW-LHR-AMM) that works in biz that’s not terribly different in timing (longer LHR layover, but time saved on overall distance).
Warning: LHR-AMM on BA is an A320 on which J is like Y, just with a free middle seat and better catering.

Are you on BA or RJ for that sector?
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Ask why they're insisting on downgrading you on BA, as there are still J seats available for sale. If they're bumping you then they should offer a comparable alternative.
The OP isn't being downgraded on BA ; the choice being given is transfer to business class on BA and have a quicker journey or stay on QR and accept a downgrade

Taking the BA option would seem the better choice. Stay on QR for economy the whole way and AA may give a reimbursement of award cost between business and economy (30k)

Taking the BA flight and it may well be in a revenue booking class and accrue miles/LPs to AA ( possible earn 17,605 plus 21,126 status bonus for a total of 38,371)
AirbusA350 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 8, 2022 at 4:10 pm
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:03 pm

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought they were downgrading you on BA. If they’re keeping you in J on BA then that’s about the best you can hope for, short of any no-shows on QR.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If they’re keeping you in J on BA then that’s about the best you can hope for, short of any no-shows on QR.
See my warning above. BA's J on LHR-AMM is the shorthaul product, with a Y seat.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
See my warning above. BA's J on LHR-AMM is the shorthaul product, with a Y seat.
opposed to the other option which is economy with no middle seat blocked and with economy catering for 8000 miles vs 2200 miles on BA, it seems a better bet to me
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Got it - AA award on QR, the OP has been rerouted on BA. The ticket being issued by AA, it would be up to AA to find alternative options, but it does go under airport control when it's close to the flight. This won't be as good as QSuites, but definitely a shorter flight time. Not great but also not a bad outcome (better than a downgrade)
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I'm quite aware of BA's CE offerings. It still beats QR Y all the way from DFW.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

I’ve opted for plan C.

I’m traveling for fun and have some flexibility, so they’ve rebooked me onto BA J to LHR, QR J to DOH, then QR F to AMM with a long enough layer to store bags and enjoy London.

This took about 75 minutes of waiting for Doha to reissue the ticket, but it’ll work well enough.

Appreciate the thoughts, all.

Hopefully it’s not the same situation on return?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:31 pm

I’ve opted for plan C.

I’m traveling for fun and have some flexibility, so they’ve rebooked me onto BA J to LHR, QR J to DOH, then QR F to AMM with a long enough layer to store bags and enjoy London.

This took about 75 minutes of waiting for Doha to reissue the ticket, but it’ll work well enough.

Considering all the horror stories of award booking downgrades (seemingly to AUS/NZ in particular) with no alternatives being offered in most instances, it seems like you've achieved a pretty reasonable result! If you weren't able to be flexible on dates, I would've probably requested BA CW DFW - LHR and then RJ from LHR to AMM, at least you would've got a 787 then, being oneworld too, hopefully they would've done that for you if it was needed (though I'm sure it might've required some strong persuasion!)

Thanks for providing us all the update though, always good to hear follow-ups! Safe travels.
wrp96, Schwann, babyg_wc and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
I’ve opted for plan C.

Nice work - Pretty solid outcome, all things considered.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Agree with the others, a good outcome here. You have of course fairly drastically (I assume) increased your journey time..... but unless I was on a strict timeline, which I rarely am, would have also snapped up that routing.
dmarge18 and AirbusA350 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.