Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

30 hour layover in November (during World Cup)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Interesting situation that would really appreciate feedback on.

Routing is one-way CPT-DOH-USA in J. Due to a number of schedule changes and limited availability we got rebooked yesterday with a 30 hour layover in DOH.

We thought initially could stay overnight at a hotel for one night but during WC all the hotels are sold out (or available through FIFA). We’d be fine with staying in the lounge even for 30 hours but don’t want to risk being denied boarding from SA without entry paperwork for Qatar. It appears VOA is possibly suspended starting Nov 1 and entry only permitted for WC ticket holders.

We don’t need to enter Qatar but seeking thoughts on 30 hr layover staying airside? Any issues? Chance of denied boarding? I was going to call consulate today but thought I’d ask here first.

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
As it is a through ticket and will show as a connection and not stopover, your luggage will be tagged through which means QR recognises that you are a transit passenger and not an arrival. Should not be an issue - 30 hrs at DOH -
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
As it is a through ticket and will show as a connection and not stopover, your luggage will be tagged through which means QR recognises that you are a transit passenger and not an arrival. Should not be an issue - 30 hrs at DOH -
We’ll only have carryons so luggage isn’t an issue. It’s all on one ticket but in the QR app it has one flight (CPT-DOH) and then swipe to the next flight (DOH-USA, USA-USA). Nonissue though? Yeh we’d much rather leave the airport but if not allowed to not much we can do.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by lovefly88
We’ll only have carryons so luggage isn’t an issue. It’s all on one ticket but in the QR app it has one flight (CPT-DOH) and then swipe to the next flight (DOH-USA, USA-USA). Nonissue though? Yeh we’d much rather leave the airport but if not allowed to not much we can do.
That is normal - two sectors will show as two seperate flights. You should be fine.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
That is normal - two sectors will show as two seperate flights. You should be fine.
oh that’s great news. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC
30 hours in the airport? That's rough.

Isn't 24 hours considered the limit for a transit? Whilst I am aware it's a limit for baggage transfer (not an issue for the OP) I question if check in at CPT will can consider the OP as a transit passenger within their usual rules. I wonder whether there is a risk that check-in will want to ensure that the passenger would be admissible to Qatar, which it appears Is difficult in November.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
30 hours in the airport? That's rough.

Isn't 24 hours considered the limit for a transit? Whilst I am aware it's a limit for baggage transfer (not an issue for the OP) I question if check in at CPT will can consider the OP as a transit passenger within their usual rules. I wonder whether there is a risk that check-in will want to ensure that the passenger would be admissible to Qatar, which it appears Is difficult in November.
That’s specifically what I was looking for information on. We don’t want to show up to CPT and be denied boarding as we cannot enter Qatar.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Have you explored booking a room at the hotel in the airport?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Update

Talked to Embassy today and they said we would be denied boarding in CPT. Starting 11/1 Visa only issues for WC ticket holders so she said would be impossible to get a visa.
plunet likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Talked to Embassy today and they said we would be denied boarding in CPT. Starting 11/1 Visa only issues for WC ticket holders so she said would be impossible to get a visa.
Current rules state the between November 1st and January 23rd you need what is known as a Hayya card to enter Qatar. This is basically a visa and to get one of these you need a ticket for at least one World Cup game.
I am not sure why it extends so far into January but at the same time, however, within the FAQ section where it asks 'Do I need a match ticket to apply for a Hayya Card?'
The following answer is given; 'Yes, at this stage we are inviting match ticket holders to apply for a Hayya Card. Further information in relation to non-ticket holders will be communicated in due course.'

So there is a possibility that at a later date, non football ticket holders can get a Hayya card to enter Qatar. I know that's not much use to you right now, but the rules maybe relaxed nearer the time.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ben_W
Current rules state the between November 1st and January 23rd you need what is known as a Hayya card to enter Qatar. This is basically a visa and to get one of these you need a ticket for at least one World Cup game.
I am not sure why it extends so far into January but at the same time, however, within the FAQ section where it asks 'Do I need a match ticket to apply for a Hayya Card?'
The following answer is given; 'Yes, at this stage we are inviting match ticket holders to apply for a Hayya Card. Further information in relation to non-ticket holders will be communicated in due course.'

So there is a possibility that at a later date, non football ticket holders can get a Hayya card to enter Qatar. I know that's not much use to you right now, but the rules maybe relaxed nearer the time.
I saw that line in there and inquired of the embassy that point and she said 99% sure the rules will not change. Is possible though
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC
If you have done nothing to confirm the change that now involves a 30hr layover, you now need to contact Qatar to negotiate something different, and it could be on different dates. You need to be clear with them that your original itinerary would have been valid for travel but this itinerary is not because you do not have a WC ticket.

Before you call up have a good look at schedule options and what would work for you. Have several options ready in a list. It might even involve a shift of the outbound date to give you time you need in SA. If you do not get offered something that works for you ask that the ticket is left unchanged (this is important) and hang up as it will be a lot harder to negotiate with QR if you have accepted a change after an involuntary reschedule.
Schwann likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
lovefly88 I'm in a very similar situation - transiting DOH with a 14-hour overnight layover on Nov 5. It seems like some (e.g., Hilton and Marriott) hotels are now bookable direct for any night up through 11/14 rather than through the FIFA website, but still not word about how non-ticket holders can obtain a Hayya card that early in the month. Fingers crossed that something will be announced soon.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidmsilver
lovefly88 I'm in a very similar situation - transiting DOH with a 14-hour overnight layover on Nov 5. It seems like some (e.g., Hilton and Marriott) hotels are now bookable direct for any night up through 11/14 rather than through the FIFA website, but still not word about how non-ticket holders can obtain a Hayya card that early in the month. Fingers crossed that something will be announced soon.
Interesting. I see that now too. When talking with the Consulate / Embassy said very clearly would not be allowed entry and would be denied boarding without the Hayya card and long layover. As yours is below that please do report back what the end result is.

we changed our tickets and now will have 9 hr layover on 11/13.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by davidmsilver
Non WC ticket holders can now apply for a Hayya card, but you have to be invited by someone who already has a Hayaa card. Hayya card holders can invite up to three non ticketed fans.
https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/articl...-fans-to-qatar

There is also talk of the Hayya card not being needed to enter Qatar from 12 days into the tournament.
https://www.iloveqatar.net/qatar2022...tart-world-cup

Neither may be of any use for your requirements, but there is a least a couple of potential ways around the issue of getting into the country. Rules maybe relaxed even further nearer the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.