Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

NonFlexi-Availability J released within 30 days of departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN

I've been looking at flights from SE Asia to DOH this evening. Now that they take Avois, I'm in the game with Qatar so trying to learn the ropes

It seems anything in the near-future after +30 days shows as Flexi (typically ~100k AVIOS). As soon as I drop within 30 days I start to see non-flexi J availability (~50k). I see it Jakarta-DOH and BKK-DOH etc, so it seems quite consistent. There's def a hard-stop on July 7 when flexi disappears. I've not seen one J flexi after +30 days (I'm looking in August)

I know things can change, but it sure looks like they release J availability within 30 days. Sorry if this has been posted before, but is this typical of how Qatar releases J availability? I'm trying to book flights for second week of August and if I just need to sit on my hands for a month, that is a much better option than having to check all the time. I have flexibility to fly out of any SE Asia airport so if the 30-day gating is real I should probably be able to find something within reach and hopefully get my tush on some Q-Suite.

Cheers
florin likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:03 pm

In my experience, your chances of finding redemption availability during August are slim, at either x1 or x2. I haven't looked in the last few weeks but there was definitely nothing at all from around the cut off date you mention until early September the last time I checked.

That's not say they won't open up some seats at the last minute of course if they haven't been selling well, but I have several bookings to and from BKK during Jun-Sep and the J cabins are already unusually full, particularly compared with pre-covid travel loads at that time of year.

I wish you luck, but please don't be disappointed if you do not get the results you are hoping for during August.
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I don't think this is due to the 30 day mark, but rather July and Aug being months when lots of people travel, especially from Europe and North America, even more so after people have been unable to travel for ~2 years. My guess is that QR is withholding U inventory because they want (and expect) to sell those seats.
I've seen this with flights around Xmas, when demand is high: no U inventory is released, not even on the day of departure.
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by KingCanute
In my experience, your chances of finding redemption availability during August are slim, at either x1 or x2.
Yeah what I saw looking is that within 30 days there is x1 avail. +30 days in August it seems to shift to x2, and there is plenty. The city with them most appears to be Jakarta, so that might be my gateway.

Unfortunately, I got around to looking at flights to the US from DOH and didn't find anything within 30 days so I suspect I might be out of luck getting all the way home on Qatar. Looks like they're not flying daily to all cities, but maybe as they open more flights that will open more availability. I doubt it however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.