Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Qatar B Class Ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Question on Qatar B Class Ticket

Hello everyone,
I am a 'new by' here in Qatar Airways. Since moving to Kenya, I have to travel using Qatar and am taking my first flight. My travel agent informed me to buy a B class ticket which is supposed to be full fare Y ticket and upgradeable if a Business Class seat is available. I got my tickets Today for travel on June 18th. I called Qatar and asked them what is the process of upgrading and they wanted to sell me an upgrade from the current fare.
I am looking for guidance and asking the frequent Qatar Travelers of B is truly an upgradeable ticket if seat is available (I am thinking complimentary). I am also a Platinum with AA (One World) and not sure what are the benefits of using Qatar while putting in my AA One World number.
Any help you can provide me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Old May 25, 2022, 9:44 am

QR don't tend to upgrade people from Y to J for free unless Y is oversold. In that case they probably have a system that prioritises based on status in their own FF scheme, fare paid etc. OneWorld emerald with another carrier may also be nearer the top of the list.

Otherwise you are looking at using either avios or Qcredits to upgrade if you have QR FF membership and there is upgrade availability, either in advance or at the airport. Or pay the fare difference.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Hello everyone,
I am a 'new by' here in Qatar Airways. Since moving to Kenya, I have to travel using Qatar and am taking my first flight. My travel agent informed me to buy a B class ticket which is supposed to be full fare Y ticket and upgradeable if a Business Class seat is available. I got my tickets Today for travel on June 18th. I called Qatar and asked them what is the process of upgrading and they wanted to sell me an upgrade from the current fare.
I am looking for guidance and asking the frequent Qatar Travelers of B is truly an upgradeable ticket if seat is available (I am thinking complimentary). I am also a Platinum with AA (One World) and not sure what are the benefits of using Qatar while putting in my AA One World number.
Any help you can provide me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
To clarify, "upgradable" in this context means using Qatar miles to redeem an upgrade, if upgrade availability is present.

It is not an American-style free upgrade based on FFP status or upgrade coupon.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I think the info provided by that travel agent is a bit misleading. To my knowledge, QR does not have "Y-UP" fares that you book in a certain economy fare bucket and "automatically" get upgraded to J (usually for miles).
Old May 26, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Karibu Kenya. I'm based in Kenya and have never seen an op-up from Nairobi. I think your travel agent has misinformed you.

Were you looking for a free upgrade or points based?
Old May 31, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Karibu Kenya. I'm based in Kenya and have never seen an op-up from Nairobi. I think your travel agent has misinformed you.

Were you looking for a free upgrade or points based?
Karibuni, Asante Sana.
I may have been given incorrect info by my travel agent. I would be interested in paid upgrade as I think QR sends that info few days in advance. Asante Sana!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.