Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Dealing with canceled Rwandair leg due to seats not being released to Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-Premier, National-Emerald

Hello - Qatar just let me know that the first leg on my return trip from Kigali, Rwanda, has been canceled. Speaking with an agent, I learned that Rwandair operates that one flight and isn't currently releasing seats to Qatar. Looking at Rwandair's website, the flight appears to have ample room. Has anyone had something like this happen before? Maybe Rwandair will release more seats in the future?

My fallback plan is to book a one-way return with Rwandair to my final destination, which would be the same set of flights, and then get a refund from Qatar for the return portion of my original ticket once I make it to Kigali. However, I'd like to keep things simple by sticking with my original itinerary if possible.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by umeditor
Hello - Qatar just let me know that the first leg on my return trip from Kigali, Rwanda, has been canceled. Speaking with an agent, I learned that Rwandair operates that one flight and isn't currently releasing seats to Qatar. Looking at Rwandair's website, the flight appears to have ample room. Has anyone had something like this happen before? Maybe Rwandair will release more seats in the future?

My fallback plan is to book a one-way return with Rwandair to my final destination, which would be the same set of flights, and then get a refund from Qatar for the return portion of my original ticket once I make it to Kigali. However, I'd like to keep things simple by sticking with my original itinerary if possible.
Tread carefully here, you need to get clear assurance from Qatar that they accept to modify your ticket to Kigali and fully drop the previous sector. Without this assurance and modification you can be certain that you will not be able to join the Qatar flight as it's a condition of tickets that sectors have to flown in sequence.

I can't help with why Rwandair are not releasing inventory to Qatar, and my guess that buying your own ticket to hey to Kigali will not be cost neutral even if you get a refund from QR for that sector. Also be aware that if Rwandair are delayed on the day or change their schedule at short notice and you don't arrive in time for the Qatar flight, there is no obligation on QR to assist you, you will be a no show, you won't have a protected connection.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-Premier, National-Emerald
Thanks, those are good points. I'll see if Qatar will confirm the refund promise in writing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.