Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore "VTL" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rberk
I'm looking for an announcement, but I don't see anything yet

I may actually go outbound through DOH the second day the country is VTL. I know VTL is for the other direction, but transit counts for VTL purposes, so I need to have a "clean" 7-day record when I come back.

But I don't want to do this speculatively, I want to see an announcement that my return flight is VTL.
I'm trying to find out and will post in here as soon as I have developments!
Bouncingsouls and wilsnunn like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm having trouble understanding some of Singapore's rules and how they calculate seven days. If I were to enter VTL country on say a Tuesday at 2AM, would I be able to fly out to Singapore on the next Tuesday late in the evening?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Alchemist007
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm having trouble understanding some of Singapore's rules and how they calculate seven days. If I were to enter VTL country on say a Tuesday at 2AM, would I be able to fly out to Singapore on the next Tuesday late in the evening?
As per the new rules you need to have spent the previous 7 days in a VTL country prior to your Singapore trip.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
As per the new rules you need to have spent the previous 7 days in a VTL country prior to your Singapore trip.
Yes - a VTL country, or Singapore. (E.g., you can leave Singapore for a VTL country, and come back within seven days.)

For example - you can fly direct from London to Frankfurt, and then to Singapore on a VTL flight, because both the UK and Germany are VTL countries. If you fly from London to Frankfurt via Belgium, no good, because Belgium is not a VTL country (and transit counts for VTL purposes).

China (including Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan, although Hong Kong is being reclassified as VTL) were Category I, and were as good as VTL countries - e.g., if your 7 day travel history included China, it was OK. I'm not sure if this survives the recent rule change, but unless you are already in either Singapore or China, your entire 7-day travel history must include only VTL countries (including transits, even if you don't leave the airport).

So if in the last seven days you have been in the UK, Germany, Australia, Malaysia India, Sweden, Canada, Cambodia, and Fiji, and nowhere else, you are OK, because these countries are all VTL countries.

Italy is a VTL country, but there is a recent case of someone who was quarantined for going to the Vatican museum - the Vatican is a different country, and not VTL.

The number of VTL countries is increasing, the long-delayed extension to Qatar and UAE is now taking place. Soon there will be 30 VTL countries, which means 164 countries are not VTL (give or take, depending on your definition of a "country"). There are currently no VTL countries in Africa (well, the Canaries are covered by the Spanish VTL status), and in the Americas, only Canada and the US.

If you are flying from New York to Copenhagen, and your aeroplane has a mechanical and makes an unscheduled landing in Norway, there goes your VTL . . . for seven days at least.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Removed - I am not sure answer is correct.

Last edited by rberk; Feb 19, 2022 at 9:20 am Reason: Not sure answer is correct.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ TPPS, QR PLAT, EK SILVER, VN TITANIUM, HHilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Alchemist007
yes. the day of arrival to a VTL country counts as Day 0 and you are allowed to fly to SG by Day 7 or later. Just make sure it is the departure which counts not arrival day in SG
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Removed - I am not sure answer is correct.

Last edited by rberk; Feb 19, 2022 at 9:21 am Reason: Not sure answer is correct.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:25 am

And apologies to OP for my fairly vague answer. I thought OP was asking if he could spend a day only in the VTL country before flying to SG. Should read the post a bit more closely in the future!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Just received the email.

Starting Feb 28, the Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday flights are VTL. Which actually fits my schedule. So I may fly for the first time in over two years now.
Schwann likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by rberk
Just received the email.

Starting Feb 28, the Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday flights are VTL. Which actually fits my schedule. So I may fly for the first time in over two years now.
Was that an e-mail from Qatar Airways ? Would you mind pasting a copy here ?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: Skywards silver
This is now on Qatar website
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-sg/vtl.html
Schwann likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:09 am

Was just about to post this too.

For my European colleagues, ex-EUs from Stockholm are currently cheap for Singapore on QR.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clsdn
Was that an e-mail from Qatar Airways ? Would you mind pasting a copy here ?
Yes, from QR.

It was just a very short bit of text, plus a link to the website that Bouncingsouls has already posted.
clsdn likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: Skywards silver
I wonder if Qatar will be pro actively reaching out to people with bookings, to tell them that they are booked on a VTL flight?
I presume there will be some people already booked on flights that don’t qualify to be on the VTL.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
I wonder if Qatar will be pro actively reaching out to people with bookings, to tell them that they are booked on a VTL flight?
I presume there will be some people already booked on flights that don’t qualify to be on the VTL.
Apparently emails are to be sent out in the next week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.