Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways itinerary change after check-in - how to handle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could advice me on how to deal with Qatar Airways with the following experience that i had. I hope i am in the right forum for it.

I had booked tickets to fly out of Boston Logan Airport to Bangalore, India via Doha with Qatar airways last week. I had booked business tickets so i could try out QSuites. I checked into the flights 24hrs prior and got a confirmation pass document from the airline. When i reached the airport the next day for baggage drop, i found out (after i checked the app as we drove into the airport) that i was now re-booked on British Airways/Air India for the trip. After reaching the check in counter and inquiring, i was informed that the Indian Govt. had made Qatar cancel the Doha - BLR flight and i was being re-booked so i can still get to my final destination.

I go to British Airways to check-in but they wouldn't allow me to fly with them as i did not have a transit visa for the UK and my visa stamp for the US was expired (I had valid visa documents, my trip was to get the updated visa stamp on my passport). I went back to Qatar and was told that my only option was to fly 3 days later, but after much discussion, i was able to get them to find me a ticket of a flight to Chennai (About 400kms from my original destination).

Upon landing in Doha, i find out that the flight from Doha to Bangalore was really still flying as scheduled and when inquiring if i could get back on my original itinerary - i was informed that the flight was full and my only option was flying to Chennai if i wanted to get to India on the right date. I got to chennai, and a 6hr drive later, made my way home.

I reached out to Qatar airways for an explanation on why they put me and my family through travel hell, but all i got back from them was some canned apologies and the following explanation:
"We regret if we were unable to accept you on your original booked flight due to operational reasons.
The flight was offered based on availability. "

They offered me USD250 as compensation for the inconvenience caused (I paid ~$2600 for the round trip tickets).

I wanted to know if the compensation offered fair or normal for the situation? I have gotten more as compensation from US airlines for getting bumped off flights at the last moment on economy tickets.
Are there any regulations or laws from the US DOT or Indian DGCA that protects consumers from what seems like me having my trip changed at the last moment because the flight was overbooked?

Any advice or direction to appropriate resources would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a few question for you:

1. You say that Qatar put you and your family through travel hell, other than the admitted inconvenience of a six hour drive, what else went wrong?

2. How did you get home from Chennai? Did they offer to pay for that expense?

3. How many of you were travelling?

4. Did you still fly in business class?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have a few question for you:
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. You say that Qatar put you and your family through travel hell, other than the admitted inconvenience of a six hour drive, what else went wrong?
Since they informed me of the change in itinerary 4hrs before take off, i was to have family meet me at the airport and they had a cab booked as well - so that had to be canceled at late notice. After British Airways refused to let me fly, they basically asked me to wait 2 days if i wanted to fly to Bangalore via Qatar airways and kept insisting there was no other option for me. So for about 45mins, it seemed like i wouldn't be able to get to India in time for my pre-booked visa interview (rebooking would have meant me getting a new appointment in december potentially). I had to really be persistent before they said they could get to Chennai. I am not familiar with Chennai and i dont trust the local cabs at the airport (definitely justified by what I saw when after landing at the airport) to safely drive me to Bangalore at 2am in the morning. So we had to figure out how i could get from Chennai to Bangalore safely in less than 24hrs

2. How did you get home from Chennai? Did they offer to pay for that expense?
I had a transportation arranged by a family member - they got a friend's car and driver pick me and drive me to Bangalore, so i didnt take a cab but Qatar will only refund me anything i have receipts for - I guess i can have see if i can receipts for Fuel and Tolls paid.

3. How many of you were travelling?
Just me alone.

4. Did you still fly in business class?
Yes

I also got an update from Qatar Airways, the real reason for the change in my itinerary was that they oversold the Doha-BLR flight - not sure why they could not just tell me that instead of that BS story about the Indian Govt. asking them to cancel the flight - this was the part that irked me the most as it seemed like they were trying to skirt having to compensate me and other passengers (I met at least 5 others who were re-booked via British Airways to Mumbai, and were given the same excuse. But in Doha i noticed that the Doha-Mumbai flight also flew as scheduled).
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, I agree you were messed about and that some form of service recovery is due. However, QR will argue that you got to your final destination eventually and may offer you some compensation for the drive. As far as all the rest goes, my feeling is they will say that the flight was initially cancelled, then reinstated or something like that. So sorry but nothing we can do now. As far as stress and incidentals go, you’ll be lucky if they throw you some miles. I don’t agree with it but it is probably what will happen.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:59 am
Original Poster

That's my fear as well that this is the most i will be compensated for the troubles - very disapointed in the service from them to be honest. I was considering using Qatar for all my busniess travel coming up in 2022 as i recently got promoted and have to fly to asia atleast twice a quarter but after this experience, maybe i am better off with some other airline.

Btw - i dont know if it helps but I got it in writing from them that i was bumped off my orignial flight and the US DOT seems to have some rules around protecting passengers who get involuntarily bumped but i dont know if they would apply here.

Not sure if i should try to drag this out in the hopes that they do the right thing or accept what i get and assume that this is the norm in terms of service from Qatar Airways on the ground. Because in the air - they were top notch.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Sid2345
That's my fear as well that this is the most i will be compensated for the troubles - very disapointed in the service from them to be honest. I was considering using Qatar for all my busniess travel coming up in 2022 as i recently got promoted and have to fly to asia atleast twice a quarter but after this experience, maybe i am better off with some other airline.

Btw - i dont know if it helps but I got it in writing from them that i was bumped off my orignial flight and the US DOT seems to have some rules around protecting passengers who get involuntarily bumped but i dont know if they would apply here.

Not sure if i should try to drag this out in the hopes that they do the right thing or accept what i get and assume that this is the norm in terms of service from Qatar Airways on the ground. Because in the air - they were top notch.
You should ask the mods to move this to the Qatar section of the forum where the regulars can give you more advice. And you should definitely make a complaint with DOT. Airlines do stuff like this because they know most people don't follow and just accept the lies and excuses they're told in the first place.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
You should ask the mods to move this to the Qatar section of the forum where the regulars can give you more advice. And you should definitely make a complaint with DOT. Airlines do stuff like this because they know most people don't follow and just accept the lies and excuses they're told in the first place.
yeah, I am considering complaining to the DOT about this and I tooknyour advice and requested a mod by private message to move the thread if possible.

I also have my return leg of my booking with Qatar Airways, I am worried that if I keep pushing this too long with them, do I risk some sort of funny business from them as retaliation?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
yeah, I am considering complaining to the DOT about this and I tooknyour advice and requested a mod by private message to move the thread if possible.

I also have my return leg of my booking with Qatar Airways, I am worried that if I keep pushing this too long with them, do I risk some sort of funny business from them as retaliation?
Funny business like telling you the flight is cancelled when it’s not? 😁

It is your right as a customer to complain about a service that you paid for, there won’t be any funny business regarding that.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....I also have my return leg of my booking with Qatar Airways, I am worried that if I keep pushing this too long with them, do I risk some sort of funny business from them as retaliation?
As the outgoing flights was disrupted check, and check again, the return flight is still valid. Then check again.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Per my last check, there has been no changes to my flights for return journey.

Qatar's replies once the case was assigned to someone (took 7 days) went from fast (response in 1-2 hrs over 4-5 emails) to nothing for past 24hrs, since i brought up the US DOT rules and shared a link to the DOT page. Waiting to see what they say

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.