Wiki Posts
Search

Which check-in zone at LHR T5?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Which check-in zone at LHR T5?

Flying from T5 on Monday, PCR permitting. Can anyone help me out with the check-in zone? Travelling with surfboards and just being lazy. Don’t want to be dropped at the wrong end of the terminal. Thanks.

MTP
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If I'm not wrong, zone A.
munchthepow likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Originally Posted by munchthepow
Flying from T5 on Monday, PCR permitting. Can anyone help me out with the check-in zone? Travelling with surfboards and just being lazy. Don’t want to be dropped at the wrong end of the terminal. Thanks.

MTP
It is zone A, which is the at the far end of the left hand side of the terminal when entering. Be prepared for a long wait at check in. Despite flying business class, took us 2 hrs to check in, despite having all paperwork ready! This was for QR10 which leaves at 8:20am.

hope this helps!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:56 am

MTP
It is zone A, which is the at the far end of the left hand side of the terminal when entering. Be prepared for a long wait at check in. Despite flying business class, took us 2 hrs to check in, despite having all paperwork ready! This was for QR10 which leaves at 8:20am.

hope this helps!
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dood125

hope this helps!
thanks dood. Just moved the taxi forward an hour!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Originally Posted by dood125

hope this helps!

Crikey 2 hours on a Sunday morning, any idea what the problem was? Full flight or lack of checkin desks, just interested as booked on this flight in a couple of weeks, thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks to Dood, a trouble free check in. However I did arrive 3 hours early, was 3rd in the business queue (4 desks) and it still took half an hour. There was a decent length queue by the time I was done.

A lot of work for them to check every document for a huge range of destinations. they have to look up the requirements every time. Lots of people at the desks taking forever as they didn’t have the right copies of everything all ready to go.

all this exacerbated by 2 x 777’s leaving within the space of an hour so lots of passengers and not many desks.

MTP
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:44 am

And even pre-covid it wasn't exactly the model of efficiency in T4... another reason I won't be venturing out for a while...
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Thanks to Dood, a trouble free check in. However I did arrive 3 hours early, was 3rd in the business queue (4 desks) and it still took half an hour. There was a decent length queue by the time I was done.

A lot of work for them to check every document for a huge range of destinations. they have to look up the requirements every time. Lots of people at the desks taking forever as they didn’t have the right copies of everything all ready to go.

all this exacerbated by 2 x 777’s leaving within the space of an hour so lots of passengers and not many desks.

MTP
Thanks for the update, will make sure we’re there 3 hours before, have a great trip MTP.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Loungeabout
Crikey 2 hours on a Sunday morning, any idea what the problem was? .
A combination of QR being very anal about paperwork, and people not having the correct paperwork. Plus QR seem to go above and beyond in checking it, photographing it and having you sign waivers that they're not fakes.
Loungeabout and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm on the 14.05 LHR-DOH and then onto CMB on the 20th Nov and as I live only 20 minutes from LHR could I turn up an hour before the closing of the 08.00 flight & check-in, go home and then arrive 90 minutes before my flight? Flying in J. Then can wander straight through the BA gold wing and into the lounge.

I am just trying to avoid the reported long check in times by arriving at the end of the previous flight when hopefully it is quiet.

Any input gratefully received....
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:52 am

According to sources here, my experience of over two hours to get checked in using J check in desk was unusually.

As you live close by, just check in 4hrs early and if your processed super quick then you go back home and relax and go to the lounge last minute.

hope this helps!

p.a I recommend printing out all your Certificates, Qatar entry from authorisation email and any hotel reservations. For some bizzare reason, check in agents wanted my hotel reservation!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antipest
I'm on the 14.05 LHR-DOH and then onto CMB on the 20th Nov and as I live only 20 minutes from LHR could I turn up an hour before the closing of the 08.00 flight & check-in, go home and then arrive 90 minutes before my flight? Flying in J. Then can wander straight through the BA gold wing and into the lounge.

I am just trying to avoid the reported long check in times by arriving at the end of the previous flight when hopefully it is quiet.

I'm pretty sure you'll waste more time going to and from than you will save. Just get there two hours before the flight and be done with it!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by antipest

I have checked in around 8am twice this year for the lunch time flight after arriving off split ticket inbounds on BA. Business check in remains staffed all morning and they accepted checked luggage no problem.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:59 pm

If it’s BA flight number but QR Code share with onward on QR can’t you check-in at BA check-in desk ?
And if you can will they check luggage to final destination if same ticket PNR.
All J class.

If you can do all of the above won’t this save time over checking-in at QR desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.