Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR A380s to return "by early November"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:01 am
Original Poster

QR A380s to return "by early November"

At least five of Qatar's superjumbos will return to the skies from early November, and all ten could be flying again in 2022, as the Gulf carrier fills the capacity hole caused by the grounding of 13 Airbus A350s in the face of resurgent demand for travel.

“Unfortunately, with the issues we are having with the Airbus A350s that have been grounded by our regulator, we have no alternative…but to fly the A380s” says AAB. “We have to find capacity for our passengers who need airlines to take them to their loved ones for Christmas.”

Qatar hasn't yet revealed which former A380 routes will see the return of the superjumbo, but my understanding is that they’ll all be loaded into the GDS mid-late next week...

More at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-of-retirement

Last edited by djsflynn; Sep 29, 2021 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Never got to fly on one but I doubt they’ll do a route I have in November
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'd like to hope QR put one on for the Formula 1.

M
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Would be good if LHR went back to A380. Not sure they will but then again EK offer 6 times daily A380 from mid October so they might as competition.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Great news, I miss this silent + stable plane + the bar w nice talking w other passengers.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I hope IST gets an A380 as they were planning pre-COVID.
As the Turkish authorities have now permitted EK to fly an A380 to IST; they are likely to grant permission to QR as well.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
It should be the rounds of LHR/CDG/FRA. I don't think we're going to see any rotation with Australia.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:33 am

Since Australia is out, I hope the US gets a couple of them!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:07 pm

Where have the operated them apart from the normal pre pandemic routes which were MEL/SYD/LHR/FRA/CDG? I think they have operated to BKK and DEL in the past?

MEL/SYD/BKK are all out for re launching so maybe JFK or ORD for one world connectivity. Possibly JNB as that currently has 3 flights or MLE as that has 4 flights but I can’t remember if it can handle an A380? Other routes in in India are possible but that’s all I can think of other than maybe a GCC routes such as CAI
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by agjil
Since Australia is out, I hope the US gets a couple of them!
Those with QSuites bookings would be rather disappointed if this were to occur!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Where have the operated them apart from the normal pre pandemic routes which were MEL/SYD/LHR/FRA/CDG? I think they have operated to BKK and DEL in the past?

MEL/SYD/BKK are all out for re launching so maybe JFK or ORD for one world connectivity. Possibly JNB as that currently has 3 flights or MLE as that has 4 flights but I can’t remember if it can handle an A380? Other routes in in India are possible but that’s all I can think of other than maybe a GCC routes such as CAI
Never DEL as far as I’m aware. They used to use them on CAN which quite obviously ain’t coming back! I would guess they’ll stick to short European rotations, the US is too far, I think Australian usage was partly about wanting to maximise the limited number of landing slots they had with Qantas stopping them acquiring new slots, otherwise the economics of such a long flight are poor vs. Europe.
crackjack likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
CAN
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Given the current loads in Y, it will cost them a lot of money to operate vs A350s
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:16 am

That is the problem, many of the A350s are grounded indefinitely pending a fix from Airbus hence the lack of aircraft to not start operating the A380 as a stop gap.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

In addition to Guangzhou mentioned above by another poster, they also operated the A380 to Perth but as others mentioned, the A380's are very unlikely to be deployed to Australian routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.