Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

When Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge will reopen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge will reopen?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Angry When Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge will reopen?

Qatar Airways'Al Safwa loung at Doha Airport has been "temporarily closed". Unfortunately, Qatar Airways has not been transparent with its first class clients to tell then when this lounge will reopen. For certain travelers, the lounge may be a driving factor when choosing a company to fly or a hub to connect. Would anyone know when (and if) Al Safwa will be open again?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hi antenorf and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately QR hasn't published any public information when Al Safwa would re open.
In other threads there were reports that Al Safwa is currently being refurbished while it's closed during the pandemic.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I agree it would be good to get an idea regarding the reopening. Other Lounges across the World are reopening, and the Al Mourjan lounge is at capacity at peak hours, making transfers in Doha less pleasant.
For me, as a QR privilege club Platinum Member, access to the lounge felt like a very valuable benefit and would make me go the extra mile to requalify. Not sure I’ll go the extra mile to get the required number of miles by December if they don’t announce when they will reopen.

Related to this… did I read somewhere that the al safwa sleeping rooms can be used despite the lounge being closed?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingYan
Related to this… did I read somewhere that the al safwa sleeping rooms can be used despite the lounge being closed?
That's correct. You would have to ask at the Al Mourjan reception and would only be allowed to use the sleeping rooms as per the usual rules (eligible to enter Al Safwa, connection time minimum).
Schwann and Wanderwithme like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlyingYan
For me, as a QR privilege club Platinum Member, access to the lounge felt like a very valuable benefit and would make me go the extra mile to requalify. Not sure I’ll go the extra mile to get the required number of miles by December if they don’t announce when they will reopen.
It's a lounge thats only been open for Plats for a relatively short time -and most of that on a theoretical basis (because its closed). It could well revert to the old entry rules when it re-opens. Indeed, it may never re-open in its old form.

So if the requirement for your carrier of choice includes access to a first-class lounge on a business-class ticket, QR might not be for you
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:34 am

I would hope the recent announcement easing travel to Qatar (green, yellow, red lists) would increase travel and influence the reopening of this lounge. Once they reopen, it would be interesting to see if they allow entry for QRPC Plats traveling on R fare.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by realgaga
That's correct. You would have to ask at the Al Mourjan reception and would only be allowed to use the sleeping rooms as per the usual rules (eligible to enter Al Safwa, connection time minimum).
Think I should be eligible next month, what is the minimum connection time? I have 12 hours so don't think I will have any issues there!

Is it the usual 6 hour limit for occupying?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Think I should be eligible next month, what is the minimum connection time? I have 12 hours so don't think I will have any issues there!

Is it the usual 6 hour limit for occupying?
Yes, for the sleeping rooms in Al Safwa; according to reports from FlyerTalker's the 6 hour limit would apply.
Schwann likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM , AA Plat
On a non 'R' business tkt and OW Emerald (not that that means much in DOH), anyone know if I could pay the upcharge for an Al Safwa sleeping room? I think it's running about US$160.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macaw00
On a non 'R' business tkt and OW Emerald (not that that means much in DOH), anyone know if I could pay the upcharge for an Al Safwa sleeping room? I think it's running about US$160.
Assuming that you are a partner Emerald ( not QRPC Platinum );
For the moment, the answer is no. QR doesn't sell any upcharge to the Al Safwa sleeping rooms for people that are eligible to access the Al Mourjan Lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Should the AS lounge reopen, does arrival off an F ticket from DXB - DOH permit access from arrival boarding pass before connecting onto J DOH - DUB? If not does anyone know if it would permit AM access based on the fact the business ticket is R class with no lounge access. I know AM is currently permitting OW Sapphire so I would get in but that may change before I fly. Would I have to use the standard business lounge if this was the case?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Should the AS lounge reopen, does arrival off an F ticket from DXB - DOH permit access from arrival boarding pass before connecting onto J DOH - DUB? If not does anyone know if it would permit AM access based on the fact the business ticket is R class with no lounge access. I know AM is currently permitting OW Sapphire so I would get in but that may change before I fly. Would I have to use the standard business lounge if this was the case?

Thanks for any info.
A DXB-DOH ticket in F wouldn't give you Al Safwa access on arrival at DOH.
It also wouldn't give you AM access as well.

Your onward flight from Doha which is in R fare class matters in this case thus if you could access Al Mourjan through your status, you would be able to access Al Mourjan; if not, it would be the status lounges.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks ISTFlyer for clarifying
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I suspect the destiny of the Al Safwa lounge is very dependant on what happens to the A380-800 fleet. As it apparently may be withdrawn from service, the need for Al Safwa has to be re-evaluated. Maybe it becomes a special priviledge for QR FFP top tier holders only? IMO the Middle Eastern "First" class services don't suffice as a reason to keep it.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi antenorf and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately QR hasn't published any public information when Al Safwa would re open.
In other threads there were reports that Al Safwa is currently being refurbished while it's closed during the pandemic.
This is off-topic but I find it genuinely wholesome that ISTFlyer welcomes new folks onto FlyerTalk. When I first joined, some Australian bloke gave me stick for thinking about joining a non-US based FFP lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.