Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Lounge at DOH - The Mariner Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
New Lounge at DOH - The Mariner Lounge

A new lounge has been opened at HIA - info below:

To ensure a comfortable and memorable journey for seafarers & offshore workers travelling with us, we are pleased to offer our dedicated Mariner Lounge at Hamad International Airport. Eligible seafarers & offshore workers can relax in style and experience exclusive benefits of the new lounge in addition to our world-class service and hospitality

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/lounges/mariner-lounge.html

M
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Didn't this start in November 2020? It's nothing new.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by realgaga
Didn't this start in November 2020? It's nothing new.
Exactly, this isn't new.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Not new, but interesting nonetheless.

I occasionally travel internationally with a group of US Navy personnel, both active duty and civilians. I'm curious about the entry policy for this lounge. I can certainly see the active duty Navy personnel being allowed, but what about the civilians?

What constitutes a "seafarer"? By the most strict definition, a lot of active duty Navy personnel wouldn't qualify because they are stationed on shore.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
absolutely

I occasionally travel internationally with a group of US Navy personnel, both active duty and civilians. I'm curious about the entry policy for this lounge. I can certainly see the active duty Navy personnel being allowed, but what about the civilians?

What constitutes a "seafarer"? By the most strict definition, a lot of active duty Navy personnel wouldn't qualify because they are stationed on shore.
There are seafarer fares, with helpful conditions aimed at the very significant number of (merchant) seamen joining vessels or returning home from them. For the middle-east carriers, with extensive asian networks linked to the rest of the world, this is a lucrative market.

I imagine the lounge facility is aimed at this constituency, travelling on this particular type of ticket. I can't see members of armed services on active service or off-duty getting access to these fares, or to the associated lounges: but who knows, this is QR
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)

A seafarer traveling to/from a vessel always bring his:
1) Seafarer`s discharge book.
2) A letter of guarantee that state on/offsigning from a named vessel.
3) Most airlines can provide a ticketstock only to merchant mariners.

I guess some of above criteria would be enough to enter. I very much doubt this lounge will be open to others not traveling to/from a vessel or offshore installation.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:45 am

Interesting article that talks about seafarers, mariners and dedicated lounge.

Qatar Airways has carried over 380,000 seafarers and offshore workers since April last year, said the award-winning airline on the occasion of the ‘Day of the Seafarer’. Observed on June 25 of each year, the ‘Day of the Seafarer’, recognises the invaluable contribution of around 1.6 million seafarers make to international trade and the world economy.

To ensure a comfortable and memorable journey for seafarers and offshore workers travelling with the airline, Qatar Airways has a dedicated Mariner Lounge at Hamad International Airport. The lounge is centrally located on the second level of the Duty Free Plaza at Hamad International Airport and only a short distance from the gates and other facilities.

“Our Mariner Lounge has also reached a major milestone on Day of the Seafarer, welcoming our 50,000th guest since its opening in Late 2020,” said Qatar Airways.

Qatar Airways carries over 380,000 seafarers and offshore workers since April 2020 - The Peninsula Qatar
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The lounge was only officially opened yesterday, AAB cut the ribbon himself, hence the post.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.