Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is business class worth adding 4+ flying hours SEA-DOH-ATH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 9:06 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

First time poster in this forum. I searched for relevant threads but could not find any....please feel free direct me to those that might offer any thoughts.

Spouse and I are planning an early Spring trip to Greece in 2022. We have always flown from Seattle ( our hometown) transiting in Europe. We usually fly business class AF or First BA. Qatar is offering some unbelievably good fares SEA-DOH-ATH in business class. My question.....Is flying Qatar Business so exceptional that it is worth a 21 hour journey vs.14.5 hour journey? ( At the moment the shorter flight duration is over $1000+US more than Qatar...but that can change of course)

As we are aging (77/65) our trips are becoming less frequent and comfort and convenience are critical in the journey to and from the destination.

Thanks for any input.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
you will certainly enjoy the trip more if it is on a Q-Suites flight.

The hard/soft product will undoubtedly be better. The lounge in DOH is also great. Make sure though that your fare basis qualifies for lounge access. I believe some of the lower fares do not include lounge access. Another thing to consider is what are the cancelation options for both airlines. I would assume things will be good in 2022, but no one really knows.

However only you can decide if you prefer to spend more time traveling from A to B, or if you prefer to spend more time in Athens.

Best of luck. And enjoy your trip. It sounds great.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Qatar is a much better experience than BA I'd take it over AF as well.

For $1k less I'd definitely go with QR, especially considering BA and AF would put you on a regional euro flight to Athens which is basically economy with the middle seat blocked.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

For $1k less I'd definitely go with QR, especially considering BA and AF would put you on a regional euro flight to Athens which is basically economy with the middle seat blocked.
So true.... that last flight from LHR or CDG is pure torture ( BA being especially bad)....
Old May 1, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PPro
I have booked this flight for this summer and have traveled through LHR many times. the QR experience is far superior as is the transfer experience in DOH. Also you will sleep so much longer on the QR flight instead of being woken up at 3am to arrive in LHR. yes the other times is shorter but you will be fresher with QR even though it is longer and the QR service is far superior.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on whether it would make sense for us to stop in DOH after the 14 hour SEA-DOH flight, spend the night at the transit hotel ( ORYX) and catch the 5 hour flight to Athens the next morning. There is no price difference ( except the cost of the hotel) and it breaks up what will be the longest air journey we have ever taken.
Old May 1, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro
That is exactly what I'm doing. Is a nice hotel and the business lounge is great also. Don't worry about the long journey you will sleep well and arrive well rested.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:23 pm

Dave we are planning to fly to Athens as well in Spring 2022 except leaving from JFK.. having flown QA Q-Suites (JFK-MNL) before it's an easy decision. The fares right now are pretty good. Looks like they extended the refund and rebooking policy after it expired 30 April as well.

Last edited by giporlos; May 1, 2021 at 6:24 pm Reason: misspelling
Old May 1, 2021, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by david55
Any thoughts on whether it would make sense for us to stop in DOH after the 14 hour SEA-DOH flight, spend the night at the transit hotel ( ORYX) and catch the 5 hour flight to Athens the next morning. There is no price difference ( except the cost of the hotel) and it breaks up what will be the longest air journey we have ever taken.
Funny to see this new thread. We're here at the Oryx in Doha as I type this. Getting ready to catch the 787 lie-flat seats to ATH in a couple hours. Doing the 14hr long-layover SEA-DOH-ATH itinerary at the current crazy awesome QSuites pricing. Glorious. All the other posters pointed out the benefits. I hate a 7-9 hour flight as no real time to sleep, eat, relax and eat. Qatar business is the best in the world we've ever experienced, the food onboard is great and Al Mourjan lounge is epic. Oryx hotel is not excellent, but if you get one of the three Exec Suite rooms it's pretty good. ALWAYS pre-book Oryx as they are usually booked up if you just show up. Post-covid the Park Hyatt here is superb if you don't mind leaving the airport. For us, we travel Qatar every chance we can vs anyone else.

Do it.
tfizzle likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by david55
First time poster in this forum. I searched for relevant threads but could not find any....please feel free direct me to those that might offer any thoughts.

Spouse and I are planning an early Spring trip to Greece in 2022. We have always flown from Seattle ( our hometown) transiting in Europe. We usually fly business class AF or First BA. Qatar is offering some unbelievably good fares SEA-DOH-ATH in business class. My question.....Is flying Qatar Business so exceptional that it is worth a 21 hour journey vs.14.5 hour journey? ( At the moment the shorter flight duration is over $1000+US more than Qatar...but that can change of course)

As we are aging (77/65) our trips are becoming less frequent and comfort and convenience are critical in the journey to and from the destination.

Thanks for any input.

A million times yes.

I’ve chosen Q Suites to Asia from California to Bangkok. Way longer.... way better!
Old May 1, 2021, 11:55 pm

The redeye from the US to Europe is too short so booking a longer trip via DOH allows you to get better rest.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I would no doubt add 4+ hours if the difference is business class over economy or even premium economy. And that's not just because it's a Q Suite, I'd do it for Club World too. Lounges, lay flats, they make a world of difference.
Old May 2, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: Delta SM
I don't see the good fares anymore, however. $4.5k min through EOS. Are you still seeing the cheap ones?
Old May 2, 2021, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Funny to see this new thread. We're here at the Oryx in Doha as I type this. Getting ready to catch the 787 lie-flat seats to ATH in a couple hours. Doing the 14hr long-layover SEA-DOH-ATH itinerary at the current crazy awesome QSuites pricing. Glorious. All the other posters pointed out the benefits. I hate a 7-9 hour flight as no real time to sleep, eat, relax and eat. Qatar business is the best in the world we've ever experienced, the food onboard is great and Al Mourjan lounge is epic. Oryx hotel is not excellent, but if you get one of the three Exec Suite rooms it's pretty good. ALWAYS pre-book Oryx as they are usually booked up if you just show up. Post-covid the Park Hyatt here is superb if you don't mind leaving the airport. For us, we travel Qatar every chance we can vs anyone else.

Do it.
+1 - there is nothing to add this post.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
I don't see the good fares anymore, however. $4.5k min through EOS. Are you still seeing the cheap ones?
Definitely still there as of this morning ( May 2nd) . $2500US RT SEA-ATH Premium.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.