Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
It seems strange that 'R' provides lounge access but not seat selection.
It's similar to British Airways "I" and "R" fare buckets which offer lounge access but not seat selection.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:25 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just spent half an hour on the phone with a Qatar agent. He went to the escalation team. They told him that being able to get a seat assignment for free was a matter of the fare and not OneWorld status. The fare does not permit free seat assignments. I was given an email address to which I can write to challenge this. [email protected]
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Please let us know response when you get it.

We are in same boat. Revenue J, I fare on the outbound (no issue with seat selection), R fare on return (seat selection for a fee only). We are both OWE through AS G75K.

Thanks!
Knocked down again. The response I received: "Thank you for writing to us.

Please allow us to share that as this is a booking matter, for assistance we would like to kindly request you to call one of our local reservations and ticketing offices / contact centers.

As such matters are within their competences they would be in a better position to be of assistance on this occasion.

I know no more directions to pursue. I feel they are not abiding by OneWorld guidelines but they will not acknowledge this.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:48 am

Please allow us to share that as this is a booking matter, for assistance we would like to kindly request you to call one of our local reservations and ticketing offices / contact centers.

As such matters are within their competences they would be in a better position to be of assistance on this occasion.

I know no more directions to pursue. I feel they are not abiding by OneWorld guidelines but they will not acknowledge this.
Well, thanks for the follow-up. I'll report back if different result.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:51 pm

I have positive results to report.

Just as I was near giving up, I called Qatar about a schedule issue. Since I was on the line, I tackled the seat matter again. And the agent figured out how to give me seats for free in a quad. I can't change them. I've checked. I would have to pay to move them. But there are no bad seats in the center. I checked my credit card to make sure that no charge was sent thru for the seats. I saw nothing pending.

I took the time to speak to the agent's supervisor and thank him. I wasn't specific. Given all my failures who knows if the supervisor would agree that following OneWorld policies is a good thing. I simply said that after several contacts, this agent listened to me and sorted out what I needed.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Has anyone found issues with their seat selection disappearing, Im OWR so get pre-selection but my exit rows keep not showing on my booking
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's similar to British Airways "I" and "R" fare buckets which offer lounge access but not seat selection.
My point is that it seems strange to me that seat selection is the benefit the airline chooses to withhold.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I have positive results to report.

Just as I was near giving up, I called Qatar about a schedule issue. Since I was on the line, I tackled the seat matter again. And the agent figured out how to give me seats for free in a quad. I can't change them. I've checked. I would have to pay to move them. But there are no bad seats in the center. I checked my credit card to make sure that no charge was sent thru for the seats. I saw nothing pending.

I took the time to speak to the agent's supervisor and thank him. I wasn't specific. Given all my failures who knows if the supervisor would agree that following OneWorld policies is a good thing. I simply said that after several contacts, this agent listened to me and sorted out what I needed.
It's terrific that you finally were able to get seats assigned. It's unfortunate that it was so difficult, and the likelihood of a repeat seems dubious. And kudos for handling the agent's supervisor well.

I continue to see reports of success at getting seats assigned on 'P' and 'R' fares, so I wonder if perhaps the problem might possibly be that QR's systems don't yet recognize AS elite status as OneWorld elite? As far as I can recall, the reports such as yours were from AS elites, while the reports of success have mostly been AA elites.
SanDiego1K and QT31415 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:11 pm

I received the above response from a direct tweet to the Qatar Support team. I responded, repeating that I was OneWorld Emerald and I wondered why they weren't abiding by the benefits that come with it. I also had a successful call with an agent who finally gave me seat assignments. I just received a positive response from the tweet.

Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:10 am

Interesting. Numerous places do say one world elite members can select seats in advance for free but the option to select seats is completely gone from my bookings - all R. So sounds like you now need to call in or contact the twitter team to update - which from the above doesnt seem easy, sigh.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Omnivore
Has anyone found issues with their seat selection disappearing, Im OWR so get pre-selection but my exit rows keep not showing on my booking
OWR get free seat selection in Y but that excludes exit-row and bulkhead seats. You would still need to pay for exit-row and bulkhead seats unless there is a oneworld Sapphire or higher member in the same booking.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
BA are able to book seats, but not middle seats. Got it escalated to their “Oneworld hotline” and got told that QR has blocked them despite us being 2 travellers. Guess I’ll have to be satisfied with it just too bad I like the double beds during redeyes.
BA is right, QR blocks the middle seats on QSuite flights, perhaps because they want to make sure the seats go to groups of 2 (for the double-bed pairs) or 4. Call QR, after a long hold you'll get an agent who can unblock them. If you have the QR PNR, it should not matter that you booked it as a codeshare and you should not need to mention that it is a codeshare.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
OWR get free seat selection in Y but that excludes exit-row and bulkhead seats. You would still need to pay for exit-row and bulkhead seats unless there is a oneworld Sapphire or higher member in the same booking.
Interesting. The system lets me book them for free and I have screenshots and emails of the bookings being confirmed
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:18 am

I'm unable to select seats on my recent booking AMS-DOH-AUH in J. Booked via OTA, so that might be an issue as well. BA Silver FF# is in manage my booking. However the "seat selection" option is neither showing in manage my booking, nor in the app..

Off topic; Is there someone with recent experiences traveling AUH to DXB with COVID etc? Would be very happy to read the experiences (via PM).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EvD86
I'm unable to select seats on my recent booking AMS-DOH-AUH in J. Booked via OTA, so that might be an issue as well. BA Silver FF# is in manage my booking. However the "seat selection" option is neither showing in manage my booking, nor in the app..
Just wondering, is the ticket issued by the OTA?
If not, you need to wait until it's issued.
EvD86 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:38 am

Just wondering, is the ticket issued by the OTA?
If not, you need to wait until it's issued.
Are you suggesting I'm to eager to finally select my first Qsuite 😁?

But it is not issued yet, so thanks, I'll try again when it is!
Traveller999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.