Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just purchased a QR biz ticket (cheapest biz class) and entered my AS number. My husband and I both have top tier status on AS. This should allow us to pick seats for free. However, the site wants to charge me $140 per seat. Neither RJ or Malaysian Airlines pull up the QR PNR. What is my next step?
Try the Finnair site too.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by skydve1
Try the Finnair site too.
Good suggestion. It brought up the record. However, for each flight, it said "Unfortunately we cannot sell a seat for this flight. You will be assigned a seat at check-in."
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:45 am

I just spent half an hour on the phone with a Qatar agent. He went to the escalation team. They told him that being able to get a seat assignment for free was a matter of the fare and not OneWorld status. The fare does not permit free seat assignments. I was given an email address to which I can write to challenge this. [email protected]
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
In part because it’s AA award bookings but mainly because I want to book 2 of the middle seats and those I believe are always blocked by QR and can only be manually allocated by QR staff.
In my experience, QR always blocks the center Qsuites; they can be allocated using the QR web site booking management, but only for parties of two or more on a QR-issued ticket. For tickets issued by other carriers, such as AA or BA award itineraries, in my experience it requires calling or Twitter DMing QR; however, others have reported success with some AA reservations agents being able to allocate those seats.

Originally Posted by srichey10
Knowing QR will block middle seats for pairs, I contacted their Twitter support to give them our PNRs and see if they could book the seats, however they replied back that all the middle seats are occupied and they could only assign us window seats. I figured we were out of luck, but out of curiosity tried creating a dummy booking for those flights to see if I could get to the seat selection, and sure enough, I could view the seat map and it confirmed that there are multiple rows of middle seats available on each flight.
It sounds like an inexperienced Twitter support agent who doesn't understand the difference between occupied and blocked. No need to make a dummy booking, you can easily see the difference by looking at the seat map for your flight in ExpertFlyer. The EF seat maps distinguishes between blocked and occupied.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The middle quads are reserved for parties over 3 people. If you are traveling with 3 or more people in the same reservation, you should be able to reserve them.
If not, you could ask QR but most likely you would get a negative answer unless you are a QRPC Gold or Platinum member.
That has not been my experience, and I've flown Qsuite since they were introduced. QR blocks all center quads but releases them for parties of two or more. (Three or more wouldn't make sense since each quad can be used as two pairs or as 3- or 4- sets.)

Originally Posted by pH
I currently have a similar issue with an AA-issued award ticket on QR. The Malaysia site worked well for the QR-operated flights and those seats show as confirmed on the QR site, however there is now a mismatch for the final AA-operated domestic sector. The AA app shows I have selected seats on that final segment where QR does not.

Can anyone speak from similar experience - will I have problems checking in with QR and receiving a boarding pass with the correct seats for that final AA leg?
@pH it's very common for seat assignments not to show on a non-operating-carrier's web site. If AA shows you have seats on the AA-operated flight, that's what counts. AA and QR use different GDS and different passenger service and operations systems. Don't worry about data not being in sync, as long as it's correct where it counts.

I just spent half an hour on the phone with a Qatar agent. He went to the escalation team. They told him that being able to get a seat assignment for free was a matter of the fare and not OneWorld status. The fare does not permit free seat assignments. I was given an email address to which I can write to challenge this. [email protected]
The 'P' fare is new, and it's possible that QR is trying harder to force passengers to pay up to 'R', but it's also possible that different QR agents have different ideas (which is fairly common with QR). You might try calling again.

Last edited by anabolism; Sep 30, 2021 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: OWE, *G
Having booked two tickets through BA.co.uk with QR operating (BA Codeshare) all flights in the itinerary, neither BA nor QR can help me select seats as an R-class ticketed Oneworld Emerald. Could not do it online on either airline’s website. On both phone and WhatsApp they insisted that seats can only be selected 48h before the flights and the phone agent claimed seat selection was paid only - despite being OWE... So ended up emailing, but no reply at all for a week. Have managed to select seats (albeit no middle seats on QSuites) for 3 of the 4 flights through RJ. Deeply unimpressed with QRs response.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Having booked two tickets through BA.co.uk with QR operating (BA Codeshare) all flights in the itinerary, neither BA nor QR can help me select seats as an R-class ticketed Oneworld Emerald. Could not do it online on either airline’s website. On both phone and WhatsApp they insisted that seats can only be selected 48h before the flights and the phone agent claimed seat selection was paid only - despite being OWE... So ended up emailing, but no reply at all for a week. Have managed to select seats (albeit no middle seats on QSuites) for 3 of the 4 flights through RJ. Deeply unimpressed with QRs response.
In my experience, QR-operated codeshares are very difficult to get seats assigned. I have had success calling, but it has taken me multiple tries. I've had QR agents tell me they can't assign seats because the flight is sold as a codeshare, but other agents can do it. As I mentioned above, there are reports of the ticketing airline being able to assign blocked center seats. That's never been my experience, but others have reported success.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
In my experience, QR-operated codeshares are very difficult to get seats assigned. I have had success calling, but it has taken me multiple tries. I've had QR agents tell me they can't assign seats because the flight is sold as a codeshare, but other agents can do it. As I mentioned above, there are reports of the ticketing airline being able to assign blocked center seats. That's never been my experience, but others have reported success.
BA are able to book seats, but not middle seats. Got it escalated to their “Oneworld hotline” and got told that QR has blocked them despite us being 2 travellers. Guess I’ll have to be satisfied with it just too bad I like the double beds during redeyes.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:05 pm

BA are able to book seats, but not middle seats. Got it escalated to their “Oneworld hotline” and got told that QR has blocked them despite us being 2 travellers. Guess I’ll have to be satisfied with it just too bad I like the double beds during redeyes.
I've had success calling QR for this, but it has taken multiple tries.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I've had success calling QR for this, but it has taken multiple tries.
Thanks, will try this. At least the queue to call QR has been shorter than the BA Gold line!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
I got them to assign middle seats for my wife and I, who have two separate PNRs, using Twitter DM. It took a day or two to convey what I wanted and get results but they got it done.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I booked yesterday a reward flight with BA avios from OTP-DOH-SEZ in J for 2 of us. Initially we were assigned random seats not next to each other for each leg. Selecting seats through the BA link didn't work. QR site didn't have the option for seat selection. Tried RJ and it looked liked it worked, but it didn't in the end. Tried Qantas and it gave me an error at the end after selecting the seats. As a final attempt, I tried Malaysian airlines and low and behold, it worked and the seats now show on my booking.

So, my advice, try Malaysian airlines!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: EY Gold, BA Gold, EK Gold, CX Gold
Originally Posted by englisha
I booked yesterday a reward flight with BA avios from OTP-DOH-SEZ in J for 2 of us. Initially we were assigned random seats not next to each other for each leg. Selecting seats through the BA link didn't work. QR site didn't have the option for seat selection. Tried RJ and it looked liked it worked, but it didn't in the end. Tried Qantas and it gave me an error at the end after selecting the seats. As a final attempt, I tried Malaysian airlines and low and behold, it worked and the seats now show on my booking.

So, my advice, try Malaysian airlines!
Thank you! Royal Jordanian stopped working after my flights changed and I kept getting disconnected on the phone when calling Qatar.
englisha likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:42 pm

Please let us know response when you get it.

We are in same boat. Revenue J, I fare on the outbound (no issue with seat selection), R fare on return (seat selection for a fee only). We are both OWE through AS G75K.

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn
Please let us know response when you get it.

We are in same boat. Revenue J, I fare on the outbound (no issue with seat selection), R fare on return (seat selection for a fee only). We are both OWE through AS G75K.
I will. I've already failed with the twitter team. They completely ignored the issue of my OneWorld status. "You are traveling in Business (Classic) There is a charge for seat selection. Otherwise, you can wait until online check-in opens 48 hours before departure and select a regular seat free of charge."
QT31415 and pmblinn like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:46 pm

It seems strange that 'R' provides lounge access but not seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.