Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading & non Qsuite business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
Upgrading & non Qsuite business class

Is it fairly easy to upgrade yourself from economy to business online via manage your booking? I have a flight on Jan 6 IAD to JNB and would like to upgrade. My company will only pay economy so it would be easier for me to first pay economy and can show them that receipt. Then, I could upgrade myself. Perhaps I would get an offer to upgrade, business doesn't look too full, but not sure how long I should wait on that.

Has anyone flown the A350-900 non-Qsuites? How is it? Still worth the upgrade? The DOH to JNB flight doesn't have Qsuites unless I want to hang out in DOH for 10 hours. But I don't think I want to do that.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by skaballet
I
Perhaps I would get an offer to upgrade, business doesn't look too full, but not sure how long I should wait on that.
Wrong airline for that strategy.

Originally Posted by skaballet
Has anyone flown the A350-900 non-Qsuites? How is it? Still worth the upgrade? The DOH to JNB flight doesn't have Qsuites unless I want to hang out in DOH for 10 hours. But I don't think I want to do that.
A359 without Qsuites is by far preferrable in my opinion. Qsuites is an over-hyped pain in the lower back.

-A
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: NZ
If you want to upgrade the whole ticket (ie all your flights) then it is probably going to be cheaper to simply pay the fare difference upfront rather than using upgrade offers for individual sectors (which may or may not be forthcoming). However, you will need to check the rules of the economy fare to confirm whether any change fee is waived when you upgrade to a higher class. It may not be.

Also paying the fare difference will give you all the perks of J class.

Last edited by minz56; Dec 28, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
No change fee is collected when upfaring the ticket so the OP must call the QR hotline and ask to pay the fare difference and fly Business Class.
minz56 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I like the Non Q 350 seats better then the Q Suites
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, LATAM*Black
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No change fee is collected when upfaring the ticket so the OP must call the QR hotline and ask to pay the fare difference and fly Business Class.
You can also do this through Manage My Booking. I did it last month and it was about half price than the 'upgrade offer'. Basically the difference on the day between economy and business (for a new ticket) minus taxes already paid
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.