Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Please check the table below to see if you are impacted by the new changes.

NEW FARE FAMILIES (AND ITS ATTRIBUTES) ONLY APPLY TO TICKETS ISSUED ON QR 157 STOCK.

For FAQs related to the new fare families, visit https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepa...eFamilies.html.

Print Wikipost

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If the new system was intended to to reduce demand for lounge access at the cost of ticket revenue, then it stands a good chance of success

Note that the closure of the OW facilities and Safwa have fed into demand for Mourjan.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It was probably part of the plan to decrease traffic at peak hours.

So far during the pandemic is has not been a capacity problem to combine it all into AM, even during Xmas and New Year peak it was not too much for AM. I will see the summer peak shortly. But once it gets too much they can quickly add the F and J lounges back in to the capacity
Yes, it's true that the closure of OW facilities have fed demand into Al Mourjan; I think QR didn't have any other choice to use the status lounges as an IRROPS duty-of-care center as it would probably be more costly for them to provide meal vouchers to each passenger rather than serving them a buffet at the status lounges. DOH is expensive in terms of food&beverages when it comes to concessions and providing meal vouchers to IRROPS passengers might not provide a good scene at those restaurants/cafés. It's better to keep ( potentially ) angry customers out of sight.

I've seen multiple times that the Al Mourjan restaurant was at capacity during AM rush ( 5-8am ) before most flights to Europe and the Americas departed. ( post-COVID )
I'll also visit Al Mourjan soon ( later this month ) and report my experiences somewhere here.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Doha Hamad was jam packed this weekend and last, as was AM. Service as always was superb and friendly.
Traveller999 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Doha Hamad was jam packed this weekend and last, as was AM. Service as always was superb and friendly.
Was there a week ago and I've never seen it so busy, even pre-COVID.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Schwann
Was there a week ago and I've never seen it so busy, even pre-COVID.
Sounds like it is time to get the J and F lounges reopened. At least for peak summer demand. May slack off again
Seikkyou likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PPro
I had 12 hour layovers going and coming and visited AM both times.
1. It was relatively easy to get a quiet room if ask about availability and show up 15 minutes before. We had it from 11-5 (six hour maximum) and then got into showers right away on the outbound.
2. AM was never really that crowded both times within 10 minutes we got a booth in the restaurant and there was plenty of seating.
3. During the morning rush both times, I would call the secondary restaurant "busy" but only because of Covid distancing rule about chair placement.
4. Service always cheerful and helpful.
5. R class going out but was admitted because of OWE and they let me know this was a courtesy. I-class on return admitted without question.
6. On the way home Oryx was booked so we booked the DOH Sleep n' Fly. 10 hours for $250. Not a perfect options. at 10,11 and 12pm (which are the standard changeovers, there was a little bit of noise of people getting into compartments, but from 12-6 quiet as mouse. Decent air conditioning as we had to use the covers to keep warm. Much preferred over being too hot. I would do this again, but would like to try the ORYX or better yet go down down when open.

Love flying Qatar. Always well treated.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:02 pm

Tried searching around and bit confused. So if you have an R class fare from say LHR - DOH - DXB (with the DXB be sector being sold as "First Class" under A class), will passengers be eligible for Al Safwa access? I understand on the return DXB - DOH sector, upon landing in DOH, you wouldn't be allowed into Al Safwa...
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Tried searching around and bit confused. So if you have an R class fare from say LHR - DOH - DXB (with the DXB be sector being sold as "First Class" under A class), will passengers be eligible for Al Safwa access? I understand on the return DXB - DOH sector, upon landing in DOH, you wouldn't be allowed into Al Safwa...
Before DOH-DXB, yes.
Before DOH-LHR, no.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
Before DOH-DXB, yes.
Before DOH-LHR, no.
Ok great thanks. And before DOH - LHR (or similar), assuming Business R fare, is access to Al Mourjan still being permitted (on basis of OWE) and the inferior “business lounge” is closed?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:37 am

Currently yes, though that is likely dependent on when they are opening the ‘First Class Lounge’ (which you would otherwise be able to access as an OWE) and the ‘Business Class Lounge’ back up.

You might want to keep an eye on the Al Mourjan thread for this, that topic comes up there quite a bit.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Currently yes, though that is likely dependent on when they are opening the ‘First Class Lounge’ (which you would otherwise be able to access as an OWE) and the ‘Business Class Lounge’ back up.

You might want to keep an eye on the Al Mourjan thread for this, that topic comes up there quite a bit.
Many thanks. Well hopefully they don’t open those 2 lounges too soon lol.
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.