Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone on QR1363 or QR1365 DOH-JNB from Oct. 3 or later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:43 pm
lmk
Original Poster

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA

I saw that DOH-JNB passenger flights have finally resumed. But Qatar is on SA's "banned countries" list, and South Africa has not yet gazetted regulations about transiting high-risk countries or its announcement that travelers from high-risk countries who've been in a low-risk country for at least 10 days will be deemed low-risk. DH and I are desperate to get home to South Africa and have valid temporary residence permits there. We have been in NZ, a low-risk country, since February of this year. We would be flying on our US passports though. The SA embassy in Wellington is not responding to questions except to say they are awaiting further guidance. Can anyone who was on these flights from DOH-JNB advise what the process was upon arrival or what the requirements were in order to board? Were passengers from high-risk countries actually admitted at JNB without quarantine if they had negative COVID tests? And were passengers actually required to show proof of travel insurance covering the cost of COVID testing and quarantine? Were documents scrutinized by the airline and the immigration officials, or only by the airline? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Who knows? It is a shambles at the moment. The government has not produced any clear guidelines with regards pretty much anything. On the 4th October they announced that certain countries (including USA) who had had visa exemptions revoked were now allowed to travel visa free, but could still not enter for tourism purposes. Everyone is waiting to hear the situation with regards transit passengers from a green country via a red country. Emirates on the weekend threatened to withdraw all services to the country because of the restrictions being placed on flight crew. The government quickly backtracked on that, but basically discussions are ongoing.......
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Who knows? It is a shambles at the moment. The government has not produced any clear guidelines with regards pretty much anything. On the 4th October they announced that certain countries (including USA) who had had visa exemptions revoked were now allowed to travel visa free, but could still not enter for tourism purposes. Everyone is waiting to hear the situation with regards transit passengers from a green country via a red country. Emirates on the weekend threatened to withdraw all services to the country because of the restrictions being placed on flight crew. The government quickly backtracked on that, but basically discussions are ongoing.......
+1

I would recommend the OP look at the following thread. The more recent developments start at post #411 .

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afri...long-time.html
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:03 pm
lmk
Original Poster

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Yes, I'm following that thread. But flights from Qatar are landing, and Qatar is on the banned list. It now appears that you are allowed to transit via the banned countries.

Qatar Airways is telling us that since we are traveling from NZ, which is low-risk, we will be allowed in provided we have the negative covid test results from within 72 hours prior to departure. But I was trying to find out first hand experiences of any travelers who have landed in South Africa since October 1 in terms of how the arrivals process and immigration screening is being handled.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My business is selling safari travel to Africa, so i have been following this closely. I have had several people today, including South African tourism UK that the decisions about entry are being based on country of origin and that transit without stop over in a high risk country is permitted and you are deemed to be from a low risk. Also reports from several Germans who have transited Qatar/UAE/UK without problems.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:44 am
lmk
Original Poster

Thank you, this is encouraging. Getting COVID tests this morning.
wijibintheair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.