Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Starting from 13 August 2020, QR now has a new medical requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting from 13 August 2020, QR now has a new medical requirement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Any source or list of approved medical centers?
I will also be flying QR from SAW this month and I haven’t received anything.
It was a direct email from QR. I don't mind getting the test, but I do mind having to go to IST to get it when I have a flight from BJV... trying to get hold of them right now. Without some updates I guess I'll have to find another way back.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:53 am

Thank you. I just found that on the QR website that a COVID test is only required when Qatar is your final destination. Although, the link may be unupdated.
Interesting. Maybe I got it as we have 2 separate tickets, one to DOH and one from DOH so it looks like we're not connecting and DOH is our final destination.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Interesting. Maybe I got it as we have 2 separate tickets, one to DOH and one from DOH so it looks like we're not connecting and DOH is our final destination.
That might be the reason.
I’ll report back if QR sends me an e-mail related to this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Found what I was looking for upthread.

Last edited by craig44485; Aug 15, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:40 am

Got another slightly different email, roughly the same but confirming that you have to show your negative test within 48 hrs of arriving in Qatar.

Also went to the airport and confirmed all is well with two separate tickets
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:35 pm

Just got a notice from QR that Turkey is being added to the list on Aug 18th... We were planning on flying from Bodrum on the 22nd and none of the testing facilities are anywhere near us...
What is your source? I've called QR call center, they confirmed that RT PCR is not required unless my final destination is Doha.

In addition, why does QR not accept test results from IST airport? Who picks the lab?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:39 pm

My flight is tomorrow, the only email I got was regarding to original post in this thread, that has 12 countries.

Are you connecting at Doha or it is your final destination?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:43 am

Completely agree, I don't understand how they can have a flight from BJV and only give options for PCR results from places in IST... when there's a PCR testing facility right in BJV... strange. Maybe its a question of standards?

We're connecting in DOH, 2 separate tickets. I finally got a good agent on the phone, who said we should be fine but it was at the discretion of the airport staff and then suggested it might be a good idea to talk to them. So I jumped in the car and made a trip out to BJV to meet them and discuss. We're now all friends and I have a cell to call if something goes wrong - the very nice guy Mustafa works the desk so should be there when we leave. He also said he'd merge the tickets when we check in.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by sevimli
What is your source? I've called QR call center, they confirmed that RT PCR is not required unless my final destination is Doha.

In addition, why does QR not accept test results from IST airport? Who picks the lab?
I think that the PCR test for Qatar is a Qatari government rule and they decide the labs.

Originally Posted by sevimli
My flight is tomorrow, the only email I got was regarding to original post in this thread, that has 12 countries.

Are you connecting at Doha or it is your final destination?
I would be connecting to another country and I haven't received the mail that TGGDEL received.

Completely agree, I don't understand how they can have a flight from BJV and only give options for PCR results from places in IST... when there's a PCR testing facility right in BJV... strange. Maybe its a question of standards?

We're connecting in DOH, 2 separate tickets. I finally got a good agent on the phone, who said we should be fine but it was at the discretion of the airport staff and then suggested it might be a good idea to talk to them. So I jumped in the car and made a trip out to BJV to meet them and discuss. We're now all friends and I have a cell to call if something goes wrong - the very nice guy Mustafa works the desk so should be there when we leave. He also said he'd merge the tickets when we check in.
If I'm not wrong, the labs were posted in mid-June when the IST Airport testing facility was not open yet and QR only flew to IST within Turkey.
And, it's nice that you've reported that two separate tickets would not be an issue in this case; although I always avoid two separate tickets if possible, it just makes things more complicated, especially when Qatar is closed to foreigners.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:27 am

ISTFlyer Interesting point about the labs - I wonder if they'll update that then, as I would imagine there are some Qatari passengers going from BJV to DOH who may not appreciate needing to get tested in Ankara or Istanbul first. I've already noticed some passengers leave/seats open back up on the plane after this was announced which I am assuming is due to this requirement.

Yes, happy to say that as long as you have evidence of onward travel it should be fine. And the second email I received was a little clearer about this:
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:50 am

As of today, 17-Aug-2020:

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...all-countries-

Passengers flying from these countries will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result carried out and issued within 96 hours prior to their flight departure, unless it is mandated by local authority on departure or at country of arrival to have the test done in a shorter period.
  1. Armenia
  2. Bangladesh
  3. Brazil
  4. India
  5. Iran
  6. Iraq - Erbil International Airport (EBL)
  7. Nepal
  8. Nigeria
  9. Pakistan
  10. Philippines
  11. Russia
  12. Sri Lanka
  13. Turkey (Included in the list of labs --> https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...PCR-test-done-)

Last edited by ABG2202; Aug 17, 2020 at 7:12 am Reason: Added Turkey
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...all-countries-

Turkey is not #13 on this list.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...PCR-test-done-

Also, there is a note. I assume that if you are on a single ticket traveling to a third party country without any COVID test restriction at arrival, you wouldn't need any test on departure.

Note: Currently, only passengers arriving in Qatar from Istanbul, Turkey must present a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of arrival to Doha. Passengers travelling from other gateways in Turkey to Qatar will be required to take a COVID-19 medical test on arrival at Hamad International Airport (HIA).
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am getting quite confused.
I can see that the 72h rule had been relaxed to 98h.

My understanding is that anyone boarding a QR flight from the 12 countries must have a test pre-departure.
If the final destination requires a shorter period (say 72h), that will be the rule.

My question is how does QR applies the rule of the country of final destination.
If the single-ticket is X-DOH-Y, will QR check and impose the rules set by country Y (destination) for a pax arriving from X?
That would be quite complicated but desirable.
I am thinking of a pax where country Y requires a PCR if departing from X but not from Doha. Some countries Y have a different list than the 12 of QR.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:19 pm

From the conversations I've had with QR it sounds like a requirement for anyone whose final destination is Doha.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the conversations I've had with QR it sounds like a requirement for anyone whose final destination is Doha.
For Turkey flights your assumption is correct.
For the other 12 countries on the list, passengers would need a negative COVID test regardless of the final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.