Wiki Posts
Search

How to check for upgrade availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
How to check for upgrade availability?

I've never used the Qatar site before so forgive me if this is obvious or not.

But I am looking at economy seats for example Sao Paulo > Athens. There are business seats available to buy as well. But I want to do economy and upgrade with Qpoints.

But nowhere in the booking process does it ask if I want to use points to upgrade. It only says to enter the booking reference when booked and it'll check if available after purchase has been made.

There surely must be some way to check this before no?

Last edited by GratefulSmile; Jun 29, 2020 at 8:06 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:53 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
But I am looking at economy seats for example Sao Paulo > Athens. There are business seats available to buy as well. But I want to do economy and upgrade with Qpoints.
What's the flight #/date?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

QR 774 on 7th July GRU>DOH
And then connect on QR 203 DOH>ATH
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

QR 774 on 7th July GRU>DOH
And then connect on QR 203 DOH>ATH
The closest date with C Award/Upgrade Availability to DOH is 28 Jul:

[KVS Tool 9.9.5/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
GRU  Sao Paulo Guarulhos Intl SP BR [SBGR]
DOH  Doha Hamad Intl QA [OTHH]
TUE  28 Jul 2020 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
QR         774     GRU   01:55     DOH   22:45     351  0   CS2  YS5
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:40 pm

This is my understanding from a few recent posts as I too was looking for this information. Someone will chip in if I'm mistaken.

I assume you want to use Qmiles, not Qpoints. Log into your account and do a dummy booking, selecting the switch labelled "Book using Qmiles" when the flight options are displayed. If availability shows in Business Class without the "Q2" flag, then upgrade seats are available as they come from the same fare bucket as regular award seats.

I see your an EK Platinum so maybe you've seen there as the method is almost identical. With EK, Business Saver Rewards and Economy to Business upgrades come from the same place so looking for one by default finds the other.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes but at least on the EK site (at least when logged in) it shows all three classes and how many miles to upgrade up from each straight from the main flight selection page.

Here on Qatar they don't show anything open like that, hence my slight confusion.

So apart from using a tool like the poster above, I guess the only way to see if there is space is to literally buy the ticket, then put your booking reference in the upgrade tab and see what happens.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:54 pm

Yes but at least on the EK site (at least when logged in) it shows all three classes and how many miles to upgrade up from each straight from the main flight selection page.

Here on Qatar they don't show anything open like that, hence my slight confusion.

So apart from using a tool like the poster above, I guess the only way to see if there is space is to literally buy the ticket, then put your booking reference in the upgrade tab and see what happens.
The method described is to find availability, the number of miles required can be worked out using the Qcalculator here:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...alculator.html
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:17 am

What booking code does QR use to upgrade from Y to J and J to F?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
What booking code does QR use to upgrade from Y to J and J to F?
For Y to J, I believe the RBD is U
mileageking likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by avf.tan
Thank you. Is "U" also used for J class redemption tickets?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
Thank you. Is "U" also used for J class redemption tickets?
I think both redemptions & upgrades come out of the same RBD (unless someone knows otherwise?)
mileageking likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I assume you want to use Qmiles, not Qpoints. Log into your account and do a dummy booking, selecting the switch labelled "Book using Qmiles" when the flight options are displayed. If availability shows in Business Class without the "Q2" flag, then upgrade seats are available as they come from the same fare bucket as regular award seats.
mileageking I should also add that an agent from the QRPC Priority line once told me that Gold and Platinum members may sometimes see more award availability than there actually is in U class because he said that the system may open up additional seats ffor Gold & Plat members

In other words, when doing the dummy booking, one may see J class award availability, even without the "Q2" sign, but is later unable to upgrade from Y to J (as I have experienced before)

Thus, next time I want to check for upgrade availability, I might do my dummy booking on BA partner redemptions instead since that should reflect the true number of award seats available
mileageking likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by avf.tan
Yes and for first class it’s Z
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:11 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ft101
I think there are a number of people who reported to have experienced the opposite in the newbie lounge so I would caution against this. Miles available in business class, without the Q2 flag, and available for basic members not only to Golds and Plats, yet qcredits upgrade is not working.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I think there are a number of people who reported to have experienced the opposite in the newbie lounge so I would caution against this. Miles available in business class, without the Q2 flag, and available for basic members not only to Golds and Plats, yet qcredits upgrade is not working.
Yes, I just posted there a few minutes ago. There is a huge discrepancy in what is showing on the website and what KVS reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.