Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar cancelled my flight - do they have to rearrange?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi all,

Qatar cancelled my return flight BKK to Cardiff.

They offer a refund or voucher.

Does anyone know if they are legally obligated to book me on an alternative carrier BKK to Cardiff? I found one the same day with KLM.

Thanks

Applebum32
Old May 7, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
You can call them to rebook but I'm not sure if they have an agreement with KLM.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I thought they had to book alternatives even if they did not?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, QR is not legally obligated to rebook you onto another carrier.

Last edited by msm2000uk; May 8, 2020 at 1:46 am Reason: Change QF to QR
Old May 7, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by applebum32
I thought they had to book alternatives even if they did not?
Yes. Quote them article 5 of EC261 which they are legally bound to:

"In the case of a flight cancellation by the airlines (no matter what the cause is), Article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offer the passengers the choice among: a) reimbursement (refund); b) re-routing at the earliest opportunity, or c) re-routing at a later date at the passenger's convenience"
Old May 7, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hate_Fokker50s

"In the case of a flight cancellation by the airlines (no matter what the cause is), Article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offer the passengers the choice among: a) reimbursement (refund); b) re-routing at the earliest opportunity, or c) re-routing at a later date at the passenger's convenience"
Nope - EC 261 ONLY applies to EU airlines OR flights starting the the EU, NOT ending in the EU with a NON EU carrier

for example: EU airline ( like KLM ) BKK to Europe is covered, QR would only be covered Europe to wherever but not BKK to Europe
tbm13, realgaga and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you need to get back, I suggest you contact your travel agent regarding your options and deal with QR when you are back (voucher, chargeback, etc).
Old May 7, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AS
What if OP had a round-trip ticket on QR departing from EU and only the return was cancelled? Does QR then have an obligation to return him to the EU under EC 261?
Old May 7, 2020, 11:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
What if OP had a round-trip ticket on QR departing from EU and only the return was cancelled? Does QR then have an obligation to return him to the EU under EC 261?
That's my question?
Old May 7, 2020, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Originally Posted by applebum32
That's my question?
No. EC261 does not apply on this operating segment.
applebum32 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
When is the flight? Could they do BKK-DOH-AMS-CWL with the last leg on KL or something? Is it the BKK or CWL flights that are cancelled? Or both?
Old May 7, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
When is this flight?
With all due respect, I doubt that KL will operate a nonstop AMS-CWL in the coming months.

You might be better off asking QR to reroute you to LHR and then prey that you could find your own way to Cardiff.
LondonElite likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hate_Fokker50s

OK...but where does it say that such rerouting must be on ANY carrier?
Old May 7, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by trooper

OK...but where does it say that such rerouting must be on ANY carrier?
The use of any carrier as a remedy in irrops is implied in the wording of "at the earliest opportunity"

I'm the current circumstances the OP will probably have an easier time of things focussing on getting back to LHR and then using land transport to Cardiff. Qatar have capability to provide bus and train tickets as part of their air tickets.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:03 am
Suspended

It would be helpful if OP could share his conversation with QR with us. I think we all agree BKK-DOH-LHR would be most sensible, followed by a train/car journey to Cardiff. Did QR offer this? If not, it should probably be requested. When is all of this meant to be taking place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.