Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23 hour DOH layover - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
23 hour DOH layover - what to do?

In mid January, I'll arrive into DOH at about 6AM and my connecting flight departs at 5AM the following day. Both flights are 5-6 hours, in other words there'll be just enough time for a quick nap, but not a lot of sleep.
I've been to DOH several times before, so I've been to the Museum of Islamic Art and Souq Waqif. I've also been to Al Mourjan and Al Safwa.

I'm wondering if it would even make sense to book a hotel, though I have to admit the Park Hyatt looks intriguing. Maybe try to get a day rate somewhere?
There's supposed to be a nice (giant) mall somewhere that might be worth checking out? I also haven't been to the Pearl.

How would you guys spend the day?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:01 pm

There are quite a few recent threads on what to do over a 24 hour period.

Even though you have seen quite a bit before, there is still plenty more to do.
You may have been to MIA museum but you now also have the recently opened National Museum to visit (Metro takes you right to it) The Pearl is although worth a visit to have a walk around. You have two different sides which are quite different. As you are coming in January, the weather will be perfect for walking.
In terms of Malls one of the biggest is Mall of Qatar. Its out of town but you can get there on the Metro.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
In mid January, I'll arrive into DOH at about 6AM and my connecting flight departs at 5AM the following day. Both flights are 5-6 hours, in other words there'll be just enough time for a quick nap, but not a lot of sleep.
Not sure what I'd do with almost 24H to kill unless it involved a hotel, a bed and a tidy bathroom. The weather is such a delight at this time of year*, I'd spend a good measure of my waking time outside. The efficient metro allows you to explore parts of he city you haven't visited: but the corniche remains about the best place for a structured stroll.

Outside aircon in summer I can't see much to check-out in shopping malls, though Villagio is kitsch fun and Mall of Qatar undoubtedly impressive: City Centre mall (DECC metro station) gives you the everyday scope & scale of a popular shopping/entertainment/eating venue, with the (never understated) ritzy elegance of The Gate mall more or less across the road.

The national museum can only disappoint after the MIA. A stunning building we've got used to over the years of construction, but inside it's more of a series of exhibition halls with video projection: though there's fun stuff for kids. You might want to admire from outside and save yourself £10.

* except today its raining

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 15, 2019 at 1:31 pm Reason: adding the weather report
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory

I'm wondering if it would even make sense to book a hotel,
What else would you do? Spend 23 hours in the lounge?

Are you able to avail of the Discover Qatar stopover programme?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, I can’t use the stopover program (separate award tickets).
I just find it more difficult to plan how tired I will be.
I might be able to do without a hotel entirely or I might be sleeping half the day.
Guess I should just book a day rate somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.