Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Blocking an entire J cabin on a 77W (non-qsuite)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Hey all,

So have a flight from DPS-DOH today (QR963), and based on expertflyer, it seems the entire rear J cabin has been blocked. Is this a normal occurrence? Will I be able to switch to one of the rear cabin seats upon check-in or even move back there after boarding? I’m stuck in a window seat in the forward cabin next to someone else and much rather have my own two seats. Also note, this flight was originally set to be operated with a 77W with 24J and it got swapped to a 42J version a few days ago. Thanks guys!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fender5787
So have a flight from DPS-DOH today (QR963), and based on expertflyer, it seems the entire rear J cabin has been blocked. Is this a normal occurrence? Will I be able to switch to one of the rear cabin seats upon check-in or even move back there after boarding? I’m stuck in a window seat in the forward cabin next to someone else and much rather have my own two seats.

Also note, this flight was originally set to be operated with a 77W with 24J and it got swapped to a 42J version a few days ago. Thanks guys!
With low loads some airline will block out an area/part cabin to make service easier for the crew. Or due to the aircraft change 24J to 42J. That's 18 J seats that would not have been on sale.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:06 am

Expertflyer seat maps and Qatar seat maps don't bear any resemblance to each other close in to a flight, in my limited experience. Asking at check in is probably best.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So this was pretty odd. The check-in agent said they blocked the 2nd cabin because Y was sold out and they’re using that space to op-up folks. I’ve never heard of something like that, but I guess it makes sense since they switched out the plane to an aircraft with quite a few less Y seats.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by fender5787
So this was pretty odd. The check-in agent said they blocked the 2nd cabin because Y was sold out and they’re using that space to op-up folks. I’ve never heard of something like that, but I guess it makes sense since they switched out the plane to an aircraft with quite a few less Y seats.
This happened on one of my first flights. And I was a lucky op-up. It was so weird, though.... they made it abundantly (almost embarrassingly) clear that it was still economy but using the business class seats.

Once the awkwardness was over, it was superb.
fender5787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.