Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR vs CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Whats the cancellation cost on your proposed tickets from CDG? Usually my QR J ticket cancellations are in the USD 75-125 range, per ticket. If I find a price I'm satisfied with, I book; if I find something significantly cheaper (in your case, from CDG or from LHR) later, I cancel the existing booking and rebook, considering the cancellation fee to be my insurance cost to cap my ticket price at the purchased price (in your case, GBP 1,550 per person) - sort of treat the cancellation charge as an option price. Obviously, this works only when the cancellation charge =< what you'd be willing to pay to cap your ticket price.

Hope this helps you decide and doesn't add to your dilemma.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
If you're happy with that price, then I don't think you'll do better from LHR. While there does seem to be the odd ex-UK sale occasionally, you're unlikely to get both of your desired airports in it for a competitive open-jaw so might well end up compromising on the other end to make it work.

Be careful with CDG though, from what I hear connections are nightmarish [I've only done one AF-AF connection and it was, indeed, shocking].
Aston100 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Agree on the CDG possible difficulties - colleagues went to Tokyo earlier in the month on Etihad from CDG and wisely chose to position night before - I think the airport Ibis was reasonably priced
Aston100 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
At CDG, you need to change terminal, it will take time. Maybe one hour.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Regardless of how important the lounge is for you, I'd build in a lot more room between these flights than four hours. If you are late for checkin and don't present yourself on time at the gate, your entire QR flight will auto-cancel. This would not be good. I expect you'll have luggage, so you'll need to wait for this, exit, possibly change terminal, and the check in and go through security again. If your flight from BHX is cancelled you're completely screwed. On a long haul departure like this I would almost always arrive the night before (which may wipe out any savings made.)
Excellent point.
I can fly the night before around the same price with AF.
Hopefully FlyBe release their summer schedule soon and the prices should be very low to begin with.
I have a bunch of IHG points I can use for an airport hotel so there isn't a money cost for me for that. The Crowne Plaza looks good.
So potentially, I have a whole day I can spend in Paris before the 22:40 Qsuite-equipped departure to DOH. Though unsure what to do with the luggage while I'm out in Paris.

Anyone know if one can access (for free) the Qatar CDG lounge upon returning to CDG, while waiting for the flight back to BHX later that day?
I understand this lounge is before security (landside?).
Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Hi Did exactly what you are thinking of for Vietnam next April. £3850 for 2 people return CDG-HAN in J U.K. price was over £5k from LHR Am flying to CDG the night before as others have mentioned about time to get across the airport. Ended up booking J with BA from LHR was intending Eco but after adding on excess baggage costs @ £67 per bag each way, anything over 23kg they charge a flat rate of £67... so the cost would rise by around £250 on a fair of £140 so paid £440 for J. Then they want £18 per seat to book seats even booking J !!! so will sit r wherever we are allocated.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Aston100
Anyone know if one can access (for free) the Qatar CDG lounge upon returning to CDG, while waiting for the flight back to BHX later that day?
I understand this lounge is before security (landside?).
Thanks.
Unfortunately not. Unless you have an onward boarding pass for a qualifying flight, no access. FlyBe (Virgin Connect) will not qualify.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm now 95% certain of booking this.
My remaining challenge is deciding whether to book the 08:50 departure or the 16:00 departure - both usually on an a380. I've abandoned the idea of going for the Qsuite 22:40 departure as this is just time wasting in Paris and not really getting to enjoy the service on such a late flight.
Considering I will be staying overnight in a hotel airport, I guess it makes most sense to get up early and catch the 08:50 to DOH. I will stay overnight in Qatar using the Discover Qatar scheme (if it is still running) and then catch the 20:05 (qr830 - hopefully QSuite) flight to BKK. This gives me the day to explore Doha after a proper nights sleep in a real hotel bed.

Any suggestions on what time I should arrive at the CDG terminal 1 entrance in order to get at least an hour in the Qatar lounge?

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:18 pm

If you want to 'maximise' the experience I'd suggest the 16:00 departure - you can enjoy the lounge, and the menu onboard will be more extensive for a non breakfast flight.
I2sky and Aston100 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_botak
If you want to 'maximise' the experience I'd suggest the 16:00 departure - you can enjoy the lounge, and the menu onboard will be more extensive for a non breakfast flight.
Thanks.
Any idea how long it takes from arriving at terminal 1 to get to the lounge?
I'll probably be arriving using the airports transport system from an on-site hotel.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:52 pm

Afraid not, I'm not very familiar with CDG.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Aston100
Thanks.
Any idea how long it takes from arriving at terminal 1 to get to the lounge?
I'll probably be arriving using the airports transport system from an on-site hotel.
Around 5-10mins dependent on the queue at passport control.

Be aware that there are xray machines prior to boarding from the satellite part of T1 that QR uses.

M
Aston100 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
I’m banned (self imposed) from going on the A380 for enjoying the bar a little bit more than I should, Had the pleasure twice now and each time I’ve enjoyed having a personal lock in at 38000ft waaaaaaaaaay too much, and when the sensible part of my brain tells me to go to sleep the idiotic part goes “You’re in a bar, on a plane! don’t go to sleep”. Obviously you are aware of Qatar changing aircraft type but if you can, book the A380 and hope for the best. As for departure I’d choose the 1600 to optimise the experience, nice lazy morning in the hotel (we stayed at the Pullman which had a nice pool, steam , sauna), you’ll then have time to enjoy the amazing lounge at CDG before the flight. The 0850 would be a bit rushed for me.
stephenjc and Aston100 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi again.
Just an update to say I've now booked this.
ex CDG
Going to take the morning departure on an a380, and hopefully get a Qsuite on qr830 to BKK a few hours later.
I fretted over this for so many days. So many options, including stopovers, or late night departures (to maximise chance of a Qsuite), positioning flights and other headaches.

Finally bit the bullet when my preferred dates promo fare buckets started selling out and I had a bit of a panic. Had to adjust to a slightly different set of dates and the price went up a bit to £1600pp but the longhaul flights are all booked now.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I am super excited as this will be our first longhaul business class journey and there is a reasonable chance of a QSuite on the DOH > BKK sector.
Can't wait for the CDG lounge (even if it is just breakfast being served); the a380; the 777 Qsuites and the 787 herringbone.
purple1addict and I2sky like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
For first time long haul business class you’re doing it in style!
purple1addict and Aston100 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.