Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Connection time at AMS, with interlining from QR to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time at AMS, with interlining from QR to BA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by quinzinho
This is absolutely a wrong assumption. QR will not give a damn and will only rebook you to an AMS-bound flight, like it or not. Yes, I'm speaking from experience. In 99% of cases any airline will operate like this, by the way.
I am utterly surprised by your statistics.
In my many decades of flying, I have had my fair share of serious IRROPS.
On a paid J ticket, airlines will always try to re-accommodate you on some other flights in case of full-day delay due to them. For QR, the likely reroute to AMS is through LHR (and BA LHR-AMS). And I would strongly doubt that they refuse to fly you to LHR rather than AMS given their fault.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I may be wrong, and someone over at the BA forum could probably confirm, but I think that once you are checked in for the BA flight (which you would be from DPS if your bags are tagged through), BA would have to offload you before you could then change to a later flight (so perhaps not so easy to arrange mid-flight DOH-AMS). It's simple if you are already planning to go landside at AMS and check in separately for the BA flight, less easy if your bags are checked through and missed the flight that they were already tagged for. It may not be easy/possible to have them retagged at AMS without collecting them and going landside to check in again for the later flight. And retrieving mis-tagged bags may take a while, particularly at AMS...

That said, I would go for it, there should be plenty of time but there is, of course, always a risk. That risk is the potential price of using separate tickets to achieve a cheaper itinerary.
DONE - booked to fly out the night before and booked this 16:20 AMS to LCY home. Absolutely recognise the risk and reward with separate tickets, in this case we have paid around £5500 for J from AMS whereas from LON it was never less than £7,000 for approx the same dates and with a real variety of airlines and stops. The BA return flights with luggage were only £330 and the hotel (which I have yet to book) won't be more than £150. Thanks everyone for their input.

Originally Posted by brunos
I am utterly surprised by your statistics.
In my many decades of flying, I have had my fair share of serious IRROPS.
On a paid J ticket, airlines will always try to re-accommodate you on some other flights in case of full-day delay due to them. For QR, the likely reroute to AMS is through LHR (and BA LHR-AMS). And I would strongly doubt that they refuse to fly you to LHR rather than AMS given their fault.
Hopefully we won't find ourselves in this position but it was a question I wanted to pose at it had popped into my head. If it does happen I will be sure to report back the outcomes.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it is highly unlikely that QR will fly you to London if you miss the AMS flight. I also am not sure about interlining on separate tickets, but if this is a stated benefit on QR then I could be wrong.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ok, I stand corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.