Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J lounge at DPS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
J lounge at DPS

Hey all,

Hopefully this questions hasn’t been covered before, but if it has, my apologies. But does anyone know what lounge QR uses at DPS? And what that lounge is like? (Ie. Are there nice or at least usable shower facilities?) The QR website lists the “premier lounge” as its lounge, but we know the website isn’t always accurate when it comes to lounges (it still lists the miracle lounge as the lounge at BKK). I’ve never flow through DPS internationally and have only been to the domestic side of the terminal. The reason I ask is that I’ll be coming in on a flight from Flores/Labuan Bajo/Komodo (LBJ) and I’m trying to decide which flight I should book and if the DPS lounge is nice and has good facilities, I’d probably bake in a relatively long layover. Any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I haven't flown out of DPS on QR, but have used Lounge Key to access lounges when flying on low cost carriers.

My memory is that there are 2 main pay-on-access lounges which are used by most airlines. The food was definitely better in one than the other (sorry, can't remember which) and alcohol options were very limited in both. One of them had no natural light, the other did have windows. Neither of them was conducive to staying more than an hour or two.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:17 am

fender5787 take a look at airport-lounges=DPS which describes access rules and facilities available.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by remdk
fender5787 take a look at airport-lounges=DPS which describes access rules and facilities available.
Thanks, that did shine a bit more light on the situation! However, the pictures are pretty low res and some first hand info would be nice...I guess I could always google some trip reports of the lounge to get some more info.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've been in the lounge umpteen times as a guest of Malaysia. It's fine for its purpose, to kill time: a better than nothing place to grab a coffee and maybe chance something noodly.

I'm not sure why anyone would plan a trip around getting dodgy food and a free drink at an airport, especially when facing hours of somewhat better food and drink on board. (True even for MH passengers - DPS KUL is over time hurdle for serving booze)

There are a handful of lounges in major airports where it really can be a pleasure to spend an hour or so. Denpasar does not fall into that category.

And, if anyone is interested, neither does Izmir. 😯
nancypants and Lefly like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've been in the lounge umpteen times as a guest of Malaysia. It's fine for its purpose, to kill time: a better than nothing place to grab a coffee and maybe chance something noodly.

I'm not sure why anyone would plan a trip around getting dodgy food and a free drink at an airport, especially when facing hours of somewhat better food and drink on board. (True even for MH passengers - DPS KUL is over time hurdle for serving booze)

There are a handful of lounges in major airports where it really can be a pleasure to spend an hour or so. Denpasar does not fall into that category.

And, if anyone is interested, neither does Izmir. 😯
So it’s not so much as plan a trip around the lounge, more so does the lounge have adequate facilities that it’d be worth it to stop there and recover for a bit. Just to add more clarity, that morning I’ll be finishing a hiking/trekking trip through the mountains or Jungles of Flores, Indonesia, so needless to say, I’ll be quite gross and not in a shape for a QR J flight. The options would be either find A. Find a place to recover/clean up/kill time in Labuan Bajo (a backpacker town not known for its luxuries) then fly to Bali and connect to QR. B. Take a morning/early afternoon flight to Bali and book one of the airport hotels to recover in before the 7pm flight (seems like a waste of 100 bucks to me). Or C. Take a morning /early afternoon flight to Bali, kill time/clean up/etc at the lounge before the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B, absolutely. You,'lll need to switch to the international terminal anyway..
Hilton garden inn does day room, includes pick up and drop, and has a decent pool. Book on Hilton website using same date for arrive and depart. Should cost £30 or less.

Harris hotel is even closer and significantly cheaper, but more hit and miss.
Lefly and Tokyoite like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Qf Platinum
I was in the Premier lounge last night(Fri 6th September)and personally if I was you I would pick option B.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
100% agree the lounge is at best ok ( both of the lounges up on the balcony in DPS - the food is a little better in the one QR don't use - can't remember what it's called , but it's still nothing great ) ... if you've got an extended layover go get a cheap hotel near the airport - costs very little , no way $100 , you'll find somewhere perfectly decent for considerably less than half that .. there's probably some that are walkable from the terminal , certainly loads within a very short and cheap taxi ride

Lounges are fine to kill an hour before the flight , definitely not a destination in their own right !
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Oh wow, thanks all for the info! I had no idea one could book day rooms at the Hilton garden inn, but since that’s an option, I def will opt for that! Kind of related, but does the Airport Novotel offer day rooms as well? I think the only key difference between that and the HGI is that it’s properly attached to the airport and I wouldn’t have to rely on a shuttle service. But even still, booking a day room at any of the hotels seems to be the right call...thanks all!!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Novotel is clearly the most convenient option, but by far
the priciest.

Harris is easy-ish walking distance, but difficult to find the useful pedestrian way out of the aiRport on a first attempt.

All in all HGI seems the best option. There's an info/help desk as you exit the terminal, they know all the drivers/agents and can assist locating them.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: QR, SQ, KLM
Not allowed to post a link yet, but if you can swing a day (even better a night too), take a trip to The Seraya. 45 mins by boat from Labuan Bajo and is quite simply paradise. Can’t think of a better way to relax after the jungle!
Alfredbali likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.