Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

UK to Thailand

Hello could anyone kindly tell me what the likelihood would be for prices to get anywhere near £1700 for a return in business class in peak summer end of July to early August.

I ask because currently I'm anticipating doing ARN to BKK and BKK (or HKT) to LHR (or BHX). This is to get what looks to be the best combo of price and convenience.
I would much rather avoid ex EU or any repositioning but am conscious that prices are around £2700 currently for summer 2020.

So, do Qatar return prices from the UK to Thailand ever get really low, or should I just press on with my original plan to reposition in Stockholm and return to the UK on a multi city open jaw?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:43 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Return trips from London don't seem to drop (3-4 years ago £1600ish rtn seemed standard, not now), with the lack of decent QR sales in recent times I wouldn't get your hopes up. Others may offer better qualified advice though.

Try Skyscanner multi city to finish in London and skip the final leg.
ARN-BKK
BKK-LON
LON-ARN (1-2 days later)

Comes in at around the same price as returning to ARN for me.
gav0106 and Aston100 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you but wouldn't that lead to me not being able to get the miles and tier points? I was hoping to credit them to BAEC.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by Aston100
Thank you but wouldn't that lead to me not being able to get the miles and tier points? I was hoping to credit them to BAEC.

Multi-city is the way to get best price. You will get BAEC points, I use multi-city a lot. Don't forget places like Edinburgh, but cheaper due to less tax. You will be hard-pressed to get anything less than £2000 though. I just got ex Arn for £1500, use miles to position to Arn. If you use multi-city, you may get something around £1700-£2000, use google flights etc to search first then book via Qatar.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Hello could anyone kindly tell me what the likelihood would be for prices to get anywhere near £1700 for a return in business class in peak summer end of July to early August.
With QR's recently being named Best Airline, Best Business Class, etc., I don't see much motivation for AAB to have sales or otherwise reduce prices.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
With QR's recently being named Best Airline, Best Business Class, etc., I don't see much motivation for AAB to have sales or otherwise reduce prices.
Just being named (and that by Skytrax ;-) ) as Best Airline / Best Business Class etc. does not fill the seats ;-) .....but if or when a sale will come, nobody can predict
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:43 am

Have you tried looking from AMS? I recently picked up seats to Bali next April for around the £1500 mark each.

Having a quick look on my phone you might get AMS to BKK for less than £1700 next summer but perhaps not with QR. Swiss were coming up best via ZRH.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Just being named (and that by Skytrax ;-) ) as Best Airline / Best Business Class etc. does not fill the seats ;-)
By itself, no, of course. But the three classic ways to compete are 1) lowest cost product, 2) highest quality product, and 3) unique product. When you have one of these locked up, it's less important to go after the other two.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu002
Have you tried looking from AMS? I recently picked up seats to Bali next April for around the £1500 mark each.

Having a quick look on my phone you might get AMS to BKK for less than £1700 next summer but perhaps not with QR. Swiss were coming up best via ZRH.

Thank you but I was specifically looking to fly Qatar on this occasion and trying to get at least one leg on a Qsuite.

EDIT: I am indeed keeping an eye on prices ex AMS; CPH; OSL; GOT thank you. Can't setup an alert via GF since the dates I want are not yet loaded into GF (22 or 23 July > 6 or 7 or 8 Aug).

Last edited by Aston100; Aug 23, 2019 at 2:55 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gav0106
Multi-city is the way to get best price. You will get BAEC points, I use multi-city a lot. Don't forget places like Edinburgh, but cheaper due to less tax. You will be hard-pressed to get anything less than £2000 though. I just got ex Arn for £1500, use miles to position to Arn. If you use multi-city, you may get something around £1700-£2000, use google flights etc to search first then book via Qatar.
Thank you for the reply.
I'm not knowledgeable in these matters, but I had presumed that this was some sort of hidden city ticketing and therefore I would lose any miles and tier points by not showing up to the final flight.
I'm guessing there is some exception here due to the multi city aspect return than a straight return? If so, could you please clarify for a novice (me)?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Thank you for the reply.
I'm not knowledgeable in these matters, but I had presumed that this was some sort of hidden city ticketing and therefore I would lose any miles and tier points by not showing up to the final flight.
I'm guessing there is some exception here due to the multi city aspect return than a straight return? If so, could you please clarify for a novice (me)?

Thanks.
You wouldn't get credit for the final flight - I doubt you'd lose the lot, though others round here or the BA board might know better.

£1700 from the UK is probably unlikely - but isn't impossible - for exactly the dates you want. You're more likely to get that if you can be flexible in date and/or destination - so it depends on whether it must be BKK. I would guess that there is a high likelihood of a £1700 price to somewhere in Asia from the UK with Qatar over the course of the next year - but you would need the flexibility on your own side to use it. I wouldn't think £1700 ex-EU is worth jumping at early - prices there can get down to £1200 or so [caveat on the decreasing value of the monopoly money as teh Autumn unfolds there, sadly].
nancypants and Aston100 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:05 am
PxC

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks.
London demands a premium, so even finishing there will be quite expensive. Routing your return via there is technically not finishing there.

I wouldn’t worry about losing all the tier points/Avios, almost no chance of that happening, and Crediting to BAEC is of course fine.

Im getting 1500 for the ARN out and back to London. If your dates are in the real peak then you will struggle for sales anyway as QR always seems to include blackout dates for the real peak hols.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PxC

London demands a premium, so even finishing there will be quite expensive. Routing your return via there is technically not finishing there.

I wouldn’t worry about losing all the tier points/Avios, almost no chance of that happening, and Crediting to BAEC is of course fine.

Im getting 1500 for the ARN out and back to London. If your dates are in the real peak then you will struggle for sales anyway as QR always seems to include blackout dates for the real peak hols.
Thank you.
My proposed itinerary is
ARN > BKK - 22nd or 23rd July
BKK (or HKT) > LHR (or to BHX) - 6th or 7th or 8th August
Those dates are as flexible as I can be unfortunately.
I'm intending to do a one night stopover in DOH on the way there using the Discover Qatar (Qatar + ?) facility..
Would want to spend absolute maximum of £2k per person including positioning flights and hotels where necessary (I imagine arriving at Stockholm the previous day). Ideally no more than £1700pp though.

I did a Skyscanner search and it did indeed bring up flights for £1490pp but only with Gotogate (no other OTA for any price), who seem to have a shocking reputation and hundreds of complaints over on Tripadvisor.
Would you trust Gotogate in this slightly non-standard situation? I don't think I would

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:53 am
PxC

I wouldn’t trust gotogate, although if you did a credit card would mitigate a bunch of the risk I would assume.

Given you aren’t going for nearly a year, you have plenty of time to see what comes up.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Gotogate... Provided that you specify the ticket correctly online and it tickets correctly then gotogate are as ok as any other OTA.

The problem with agents who chasing the rank in the comparison engines to be the cheapest is that they are shaving their commission down to the finest of margins and there is little or no money to pay for after sales customer service. So if you can't be 100% certain your dates are right and won't need to change don't go there. Also what little customer service they have is stretched and according to what you might read online is limited in their capability to do much reticketing. Remember that you are at the behest of an OTA if there is a schedule change that requires reticketing, usually airlines will not touch a third party ticket for changes until 24hrs before departure.

So think about your risk appetite. For saving a small % would you go via an organisation with little or no motivation to assist you for after sales service? If you can be 100% you won't need their service after you ticket, go ahead.

Also, read their T&C's as there will be additional charges for after sales service in addition to those that might be levied by the airline.

Have I used them? Yes - there was a 25% saving on an OSL BKK return with QR in J a few years ago. The tickets were issued as expected and I flew as ticketed. I was fortunate that I didn't need any after sales service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.