Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR J vs CX J?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bear travels
At the moment it looks like CPH is likely so the CX route would be CPH-LHR-HKG and QR is CPH-DOH-HKG. No direct flights are available and the 3rd flight is a given already.
Ah ok. With a third flight that makes cx a bit less obvious plus you’d have a change of terminal at lhr. I still wouldn’t pay £300 extra to go qr myself but if the difference was minimal I would. In truth, I’d likely choose a departure point with nonstop flights even if downgrading to cx pe to keep fares constant (though I’m not much of a pe person myself). Or consider AY via HEL likely to be smoother and cheap.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
After looking at the likelihood of Q suites on the 818 route (roughly 1/3 have swapped out in the past 6 weeks) we decided the plan was probably too ambitious.

Unfortunately CX J is just a not an attractive option for the OH with the same seat as AA 77Ws, so we decided to look into other options (including the daylight robbery of one way F fares).

No idea how it escaped me the first time round but QR 164 (787) and 816 (hopefully Q suites) seems like the best option. Only 1.45 hr connection in DOH means a shorter overall trip than CX and the premium is a small price to pay if it avoids the OH asking me repeatedly how much we paid for these uncomfortable seats again!

Thanks again for the responses - time to set up reminders on EF and keep our fingers crossed!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: Some
After looking at the likelihood of Q suites on the 818 route (roughly 1/3 have swapped out in the past 6 weeks) we decided the plan was probably too ambitious.

Unfortunately CX J is just a not an attractive option for the OH with the same seat as AA 77Ws, so we decided to look into other options (including the daylight robbery of one way F fares).

No idea how it escaped me the first time round but QR 164 (787) and 816 (hopefully Q suites) seems like the best option. Only 1.45 hr connection in DOH means a shorter overall trip than CX and the premium is a small price to pay if it avoids the OH asking me repeatedly how much we paid for these uncomfortable seats again!

Thanks again for the responses - time to set up reminders on EF and keep our fingers crossed!
What is it your OH finds uncomfortable about AA's 77W J seats? If it's the firmness, Qsuites are almost exactly the same (i.e. towards the very firm end of aircraft seats). If it's the level of personal space, again there is really no more space in Qsuites than in AA's 77W, both are very good for J but neither will provide you with the level of personal space in F. Your QR164 flight will actually be on a very similar seat to AA's 77W but with notably less privacy traded off for better seat padding.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What is it your OH finds uncomfortable about AA's 77W J seats? If it's the firmness, Qsuites are almost exactly the same (i.e. towards the very firm end of aircraft seats). If it's the level of personal space, again there is really no more space in Qsuites than in AA's 77W, both are very good for J but neither will provide you with the level of personal space in F. Your QR164 flight will actually be on a very similar seat to AA's 77W but with notably less privacy traded off for better seat padding.
I don't believe it was the firmness. IIRC there was a lump in the bottom half of the seat which meant there wasn't a comfortable way of working/sleeping in his preferred position (not fully flat, sort of in a Z position). Bit of a shame as I'd been looking forward to trying AA and enjoyed the flight whereas he was delighted that we were on BA metal on the way back.. Go figure! I count myself lucky that I can sleep pretty easily when I want to so I just take his word for it

The last trip I did on QR ended up having 1 x 787, 2 x QS, 1 x A380 so got a great feel in terms of comparison. Very much enjoyed the 787 but never really settled on the A380 probably because of the cabin size (too many variable such as windows being opened/closed, children being sat nearby etc).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: Some
I don't believe it was the firmness. IIRC there was a lump in the bottom half of the seat which meant there wasn't a comfortable way of working/sleeping in his preferred position (not fully flat, sort of in a Z position). Bit of a shame as I'd been looking forward to trying AA and enjoyed the flight whereas he was delighted that we were on BA metal on the way back.. Go figure! I count myself lucky that I can sleep pretty easily when I want to so I just take his word for it

The last trip I did on QR ended up having 1 x 787, 2 x QS, 1 x A380 so got a great feel in terms of comparison. Very much enjoyed the 787 but never really settled on the A380 probably because of the cabin size (too many variable such as windows being opened/closed, children being sat nearby etc).
Ah, yes I've heard people have issues with that before, assume the lump affects people of a certain height / build as only some people seem to notice it.

Seat are indeed identical on 787 and A380, but as you noticed the cabin has a very different feel! I've only flown J on the A380 a couple of times, but I've always spent as much of the flight as possible either in the bar or sleeping because I agree there's something just too open and exposed about the large A380 J cabin.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:08 am

Looking at booking a flight ex-EU to HKG and currently narrowed it down to either CX or QR.

The CX flight is both shorter (3 hour vs 11 hour transit) and cheaper (~£300pp), which seems like an easy win but I do very much enjoy a good Qsuite and they seem quite reliable on this route (QR 162 & 818).

Having discussed the options with the OH (would be his first time on QR) we are heavily considering QR and making a trip of it by having a wander into Doha during the transit. As the transit is less than 12 hours I don't believe we qualify for the hotel offering in Doha, although not a big issue.

Neither of us have flown CX J previously either, partly because the OH does not enjoy the AA J seat at all and I understand the CX seat is similar, if not less comfortable. CX would be via LHR so lounges aren't really a consideration here as both AM and T3 F lounges are lovely.

So FT, am I going mad to pay more for a longer routing to enjoy the Qsuite as a couple or is the side trip to Doha worth it?
can you tell us what dates? Ex EU
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As you noted above, there can be shorter connections on QR with three daily CPH (maybe except Tuesday) and two daily HKG.

Being very experienced with both CX and QR J, I find the hard product clearly superior on QR, especially if you are a couple. I like the old 77W for couple; huge space, great TV, romantic to seat next to each other. Not as good as Qsuite E&F, but far better than CX center seats. Soft product is vastly superior on QR.

With QR you are on longhaul J all the way. WIth CX, you start with CE on the first leg, then have to change terminal. The worst is coming back, as changing terminal then dreadful BA CE after a 12h flight is really unpleasant.
Braniff and vbh812 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.