Wiki Posts
Search

QR J vs CX J?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
QR J vs CX J?

Looking at booking a flight ex-EU to HKG and currently narrowed it down to either CX or QR.

The CX flight is both shorter (3 hour vs 11 hour transit) and cheaper (~£300pp), which seems like an easy win but I do very much enjoy a good Qsuite and they seem quite reliable on this route (QR 162 & 818).

Having discussed the options with the OH (would be his first time on QR) we are heavily considering QR and making a trip of it by having a wander into Doha during the transit. As the transit is less than 12 hours I don't believe we qualify for the hotel offering in Doha, although not a big issue.

Neither of us have flown CX J previously either, partly because the OH does not enjoy the AA J seat at all and I understand the CX seat is similar, if not less comfortable. CX would be via LHR so lounges aren't really a consideration here as both AM and T3 F lounges are lovely.

So FT, am I going mad to pay more for a longer routing to enjoy the Qsuite as a couple or is the side trip to Doha worth it?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bear travels
So FT, am I going mad to pay more for a longer routing to enjoy the Qsuite as a couple or is the side trip to Doha worth it?
No. I don't particularly care for CX J. Unless I'm on a trip where sectors make a difference and I don't want to waste any (OW Explorer itineraries are limited to 16 segments, and I sometimes use them as MRs), I would always opt for QR J over CX J, QSuite or not. Some time in Doha is a bonus.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the departure/arrivals times in Eu/DOH/HKG?
The longer overall travel time is significant.
To me 1 longer flight is better than 2 shorter flights. Short flights are harder to sleep & eat
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:55 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
QR is superior to CX J in most soft product respects (although not hugely), although CX J hardware is far more consistent (& very comfortable for me). I wouldn't pay a GBP300 premium for the "pleasure" of QR vs CX nor would I even consider more than a 3-4 hour transit. 100% CX J for me in the OP's circumstances.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What are the departure/arrivals times in Eu/DOH/HKG?
The longer overall travel time is significant.
To me 1 longer flight is better than 2 shorter flights. Short flights are harder to sleep & eat
Ex EU departure times are either 8am (QR) or 5pm (CX), with very similar arrival times in HKG (4pm QR / 5pm CX). DOH arr would be 3pm, dep at 2am so should be fine timing wise to head into the city for a bit and then return to the airport for a shower etc in AM.

We are both young (20's) and have rather odd sleeping patterns as it is so jet lag won't be an issue for us given the landing time (perfect to get into town, grab a bite for dinner and crash out on HK time) although 100% agree on the 1 longer vs 2 shorter flights when travelling for work and sleep is essential.

Overall travel time is certainly making me rethink a little (17hr v 25hr) as I certainly think QR would be worth the price differential if those times were similar. I suppose it's more a case of whether we can justify the extra time in CPH during the morning/afternoon vs that time spent in Doh!

Originally Posted by NoY
QR is superior to CX J in most soft product respects (although not hugely), although CX J hardware is far more consistent (& very comfortable for me). I wouldn't pay a GBP300 premium for the "pleasure" of QR vs CX nor would I even consider more than a 3-4 hour transit. 100% CX J for me in the OP's circumstances.
Interesting that you find the CX hard product very comfortable - is it comparable at all with AA's hard product in your experience?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'd honestly take CX, especially given the shorter flight time. I agree with NoY that the CX hard product is very comfortable. The seats as a sleeping surface is just very comfy (compared to the hard QSuite seat), and I love the duvets on CX longhaul flights (unlike QR's velvet throw-like blanket). I don't particularly care for airplane food in J, and I would typically try to eat in the lounge or in the city (whichever suits me best), and I've had poor food selections on both airlines (consistently dry, overheated food on QR, and bland food on CX).

I really liked Qsuite on my first flight with that seat, but the novelty of the door really wore off in subsequent flights, and I really felt the hardness of the seat back. I now actually think the old QR reverse herringbones are more comfortable (though less private).
NoY and gobblercat like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:52 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Ex EU departure times are either 8am (QR) or 5pm (CX), with very similar arrival times in HKG (4pm QR / 5pm CX). DOH arr would be 3pm, dep at 2am so should be fine timing wise to head into the city for a bit and then return to the airport for a shower etc in AM.

We are both young (20's) and have rather odd sleeping patterns as it is so jet lag won't be an issue for us given the landing time (perfect to get into town, grab a bite for dinner and crash out on HK time) although 100% agree on the 1 longer vs 2 shorter flights when travelling for work and sleep is essential.

Overall travel time is certainly making me rethink a little (17hr v 25hr) as I certainly think QR would be worth the price differential if those times were similar. I suppose it's more a case of whether we can justify the extra time in CPH during the morning/afternoon vs that time spent in Doh!

Interesting that you find the CX hard product very comfortable - is it comparable at all with AA's hard product in your experience?
I believe it is similar to AA's hardware but I cannot specifically comment as I haven't had the, ahem, pleasure of AA's service for about 15 years but I do actively choose CX, as much for the Avios/Status perks as I do the overall product. CX suits me just fine.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Having done both on long hauls, it depends on how much you value your time, and how much you want the extra BA Tier Points

QR's soft product IS special if you haven't flown it before, and won't be beaten by CX, but some of its ex-EUs are on A330/A320s which aren't particularly pleasant, certainly not compared to the CX Cirrus, which is very reliable indeed - there isn't a bad seat in the cabin, you will sleep well, for a long stretch of time, and therefore be well rested to enjoy the rest of your trip

Although *some* AA aircraft have the same Cirrus seat (77W and the ex-US Airways ones), I don't think they've had the same modifications that the CX version has - lots of little details - like nooks taken out of the table so you don't hit your knee, and padded flaps that flip up in bed mode to make the bed wider; combined with the CX crisp duvets, it really is very comfortable and you can sleep very comfortably for hours. While it's not dissimilar to the QR 788/350/380 seat, I find it more private because of the high partitions by your headrest, but also more spacious, and your feet aren't "boxed in" which makes a difference when sleeping

So, personally if CX is cheaper and faster, I'd go for CX, but the additional TPs might be of value to you, or your partner
blackdog047 and NoY like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I fly CX J almost every month at the moment either from MAN or AMS and am a big fan of the new A350. Seat on the A350 is fantastic and I prefer it to QRs (yes even Qsuites). Service is better on QR but not noticeably so. To be honest I am there to eat, watch a movie and go to sleep and there is not much more that QR really offers.

If I was in your shoes then the main reason I would choose CX is because it is a true long-haul. I much prefer a long haul with a short haul than 2 medium hauls that require me to wake up and walk around an airport half way through my sleep. I only fly QR to asia when the fare is significantly cheaper than CX/TG etc.

I would massively recommend getting a CX A350 over a 777 if you can through. The differences aren't huge but they do make a difference.
blackdog047 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
QR has the better product hands down (both hard and soft), but I like CX as well. I’d take the more direct routing on CX unless there’s a compelling reason not to. Doha is incredibly dull, though you should qualify for a free hotel. I’d much rather spend a day in CPH than DOH. No contest.

FWIW, the CX J seat is basically the same as what AA has on their 77W fleet. It’s generally regarded as among the best J seats out there (second only to the Qsuite). AA has different seats on their 787, 767, 757 and A330 fleets (all of which fly to EU). Do you know which specific AA seat your OH dislikes?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
FWIW, the CX J seat is basically the same as what AA has on their 77W fleet. It’s generally regarded as among the best J seats out there (second only to the Qsuite). AA has different seats on their 787, 767, 757 and A330 fleets (all of which fly to EU). Do you know which specific AA seat your OH dislikes?
It was the 77W that we flew on last time with AA. He generally spends most of the flight on his laptop/working (not a big sleeper on planes at all) and found it was very uncomfortable for this. I on the other hand seem to be able to sleep on any lie flat bed (after a few beverages)

Out of interest what would you consider a reasonable fare for ex-EU to HKG one way? I have no idea how one way tickets are normally priced vs return.

I think we are still leaning towards QR at the moment as his biggest dislike on BA/AA is the poor soft product and general lack of consistency. On that basis it seems to me that the best option is QR, especially as he hasn't flown with them before and this flight is part of a larger trip around SEA so time value isn't an issue vs a normal holiday.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far though - much appreciated and definitely points to consider.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'll also add that I greatly prefer a single 11hr flight to two 6hr flights. But if you really want to try out QR, go right ahead. Simply trying something different is all the justification you need.

Out of interest what would you consider a reasonable fare for ex-EU to HKG one way? I have no idea how one way tickets are normally priced vs return.
It varies. Generally, there won't be a big difference. If a round trip ticket costs €1,800, then I'd expect a one way to cost around €1,400. Unless it's on BA. Then the one way will be €4,000. Best to buy the round trip.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, I say that doesn't make much sense to me. "Ex-EU" doesn't mean anything per se - where are you actually going from, and where are you planning to start from instead? Frankly, if CX means a nonstop flight it would be vastly preferable in my view. I'd also think that genuine nonstop from your genuine origin is actually a more comfortable trip than three flights even including the wonderful Q suites.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, I say that doesn't make much sense to me. "Ex-EU" doesn't mean anything per se - where are you actually going from, and where are you planning to start from instead? Frankly, if CX means a nonstop flight it would be vastly preferable in my view. I'd also think that genuine nonstop from your genuine origin is actually a more comfortable trip than three flights even including the wonderful Q suites.
Apologies if I didn't explain our situation clearly - it is a bit odd to say the least!

We are planning on meeting up with others for a few days prior to travelling East, however that destination is yet to be determined (so if there is an ex-EU fare that is very attractive from a destination we'd be happy to visit we'd book that).

At the moment it looks like CPH is likely so the CX route would be CPH-LHR-HKG and QR is CPH-DOH-HKG. No direct flights are available and the 3rd flight is a given already.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The CX J seat is nearly identical to the AA J seat on their 77Ws.

Personally, while QR J is probably my favorite J product currently available, I'm not sure I would want to route via DOH on such a flight. I would prefer the short flight to LHR with the longer segment form LHR-HKG to allow for plenty of time to eat and relax/sleep on the aircraft. Not a fan of flying two shorter segments and getting a smaller amount of sleep on each. YMMV.
bear travels likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.