FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Upgrading with QCredits - pain in the ___ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1970172-upgrading-qcredits-pain-___.html)

NoY May 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 31123353)
So are you saying that if I see a flight as available on the redemption page for the normal Qmiles – does that mean that it’s available for Qmiles &/or Qcredit upgrade as well?

Yes.

Somnifer May 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 31123353)
So are you saying that if I see a flight as available on the redemption page for the normal Qmiles – does that mean that it’s available for Qmiles &/or Qcredit upgrade as well?

No.

I finally got a reply from Doha yesterday, saying that, despite there being availability for normal Qmiles redemption, there are no seats available for Qmiles/Qcredit upgrade.

kaffir76 May 22, 2019 1:33 am

Update / upgraded (one way)

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 31123408)
Before this week I would assume so. But I have received a reply from Doha, saying that redemption seats are not available on my flight despite normal miles availability. I have then called Doha and they said although all normal miles business seats book as class U, the same class used for award upgrade, the inventory is not commutable, i.e. having normal miles availability for a new ticket isn't equal to availability of award upgrades. And there is no way to check upgrade availability accurately unless you already have a booking, then you can use the online upgrade portal.
Given the inconsistency and tendency of QR front line staff making up rules and policies, I can't verify the authenticity of this, but I guess we have to take it as it comes.
Their programme, their rules; our money, our choice...

I feel your pain - I tried emailing them for avail. but the replies were inconsistent.
Some would check, some would not & it's always the same template reply -

Since we have moved all our redemption related services online due to this reason we advised you the steps to be carried out online to process the upgrade.
Note: Redemption seats are limited per flight and are subject to availability at the time of booking.

If you still wish to confirm availability before purchasing economy class ticket, you may contact our Member Service Associates, who will be delighted to assist you with the availability.

In my case, what the person told you was incorrect.

But you are correct, it's our choice & for me, it was between UA/NH, SQ or QR to get me home.
In this case, QR was the best because they are running a sale ex-USA right now, & with the option to upgrade, it was a no brainer.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Originally Posted by Somnifer (Post 31125870)
No.
I finally got a reply from Doha yesterday, saying that, despite there being availability for normal Qmiles redemption, there are no seats available for Qmiles/Qcredit upgrade.

Here's what I did - I searched for the avail. online using Qmiles redemption tool, took down the exact dates & flight nos.
Called my local office but the call was re-redirected to a call center somewhere in India.
Gave her the dates I wanted, & surprisingly, the only avail. was the exact & only date I saw on the Qmiles redemption online tool (SIN-JFK)
Booked, issued & immediately upgraded :D
In any case, I booked a Saver (O) class ticket both ways, I will just try my luck at the airport - hopefully will be able to upgrade at least 1 sector on the outbound (JFK-DOH or DOH-SIN)

Originally Posted by NoY (Post 31125705)
Yes.

:-:

lifeonthego_k May 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 31123408)
I have then called Doha and they said although all normal miles business seats book as class U, the same class used for award upgrade, the inventory is not commutable, i.e. having normal miles availability for a new ticket isn't equal to availability of award upgrades.

That's also what they've told me in the past. Btw, a couple of months ago I had a similar issue and managed to have it resolved successfully by Doha. You can read my account of what happened here - Success story: QR Doha contact centre (Y to J Qmiles upgrade). As with all cases, it really depends on how competent a CSO you get and how much effort they want to put in to resolving your issue.

HOLYMOLEAIR May 23, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 31129854)
That's also what they've told me in the past. Btw, a couple of months ago I had a similar issue and managed to have it resolved successfully by Doha. You can read my account of what happened here - Success story: QR Doha contact centre (Y to J Qmiles upgrade). As with all cases, it really depends on how competent a CSO you get and how much effort they want to put in to resolving your issue.

Lucky you! Do agree it might be down to how helpful a particular agent is, but we should not need to play Russian Roulette with upgrades...

ms101 May 27, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 31129854)

Definitely! Have been told this several times in the past, I simply called again until a found an agent willing to do it for me. I just upgraded with qcredits today, and it's interesting because I called the US office to check for space and the agent on the phone seemed bored with it all, and told me all flights have upgrade eligibility.... I was obviously doubtful as I was booking LHR legs! She insisted there was, but I called the UK office after and lo and behold, there are no seats available for LHR legs as I suspected :rolleyes: So do be careful, I'd advise one to call twice just to make sure!