FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Upgrading with QCredits - pain in the ___ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1970172-upgrading-qcredits-pain-___.html)

HOLYMOLEAIR May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Upgrading with QCredits - pain in the ___

Hi all,

After the much anticipated "enhancements" last year I struggle to find much use for the merger QCredits that we have per year. Still, I thought it is good for one segment, and decided to try upgrading one of my sectors in a connecting itinerary. (it is originally booked in class V)

I have found normal miles availability for one of the segments, but the "enhanced" online system will not let me upgrade with my QCredits. I've hence called their contact centres at both UK and USA, whose agents confirmed the availability and eligibility, but mentioned something about married segment logic causing the problem, and suggested me to file a request online at the contact centre to let Doha Redemptions department know.

The people at [email protected] replied with the stock email "all our redemption services can be done online". I have hence gone in a circle, tossed around by QR agents all around the world...

Just wanted to ask if any of you gurus of FT had happy stories upgrading with QCredits? Any advice as to what I can do at this point? Your input is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
HMA

Somnifer May 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I've been going through pretty much the same scenario over the past week. I'll update if anything actually happens. Could you do the same, please?

HOLYMOLEAIR May 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Somnifer (Post 31112939)
I've been going through pretty much the same scenario over the past week. I'll update if anything actually happens. Could you do the same, please?

Yep sure. Which part of the process are you up to? Waiting for Doha to respond?

Somnifer May 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 31112951)
Waiting for Doha to respond?

Yes. Not holding my breath.

Alfredbali May 18, 2019 5:42 am

I could successfully upgrade online with qcredits one segment from a two segment itinerary for what its worth...

HOLYMOLEAIR May 18, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Alfredbali (Post 31113792)
I could successfully upgrade online with qcredits one segment from a two segment itinerary for what its worth...

Everything's inconsistent apart from service in air at QR...

NoY May 18, 2019 9:24 am

Yes, you are absolutely correct regarding service inconsistency!
I had superb service onboard my QSuites flight today & then arrived at Al Mourjan to almost unusable Wi-Fi (response from the front desk...."it depends where you sit Sir...there are a lot of people using the Wi-Fi...."....just move around until you get online...")
Really world class, joined up service. Not..:rolleyes:

HOLYMOLEAIR May 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NoY (Post 31114264)
Yes, you are absolutely correct regarding service inconsistency!
I had superb service onboard my QSuites flight today & then arrived at Al Mourjan to almost unusable Wi-Fi (response from the front desk...."it depends where you sit Sir...there are a lot of people using the Wi-Fi...."....just move around until you get online...")
Really world class, joined up service. Not..:rolleyes:

The thing is I could bear inconsistencies in service, but not times when there is upgrade availability but you can't because 1. their IT system is subpar 2. their customer service is unwilling to help...

kaffir76 May 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Perfect timing!

I just started researching for the best (cheapest Y Saver) USA - ASIA routing to use up all my Qmiles & Qcredits by next April.
I'll try to add on with what I know so far - my upgrade for LAX next week was also a PITA last year.

1. Must have all the Qmiles & Qcredits in your acct. - that'll mitigate any risks of avail. closing when/after you book.
I failed in that aspect & it was a huge hassle trying to upgrade when my Qmiles & Qcredits got credited to my acct. By then, 1 sector (LAX-DOH) had already closed online.

2. I just realized this morning when I was checking QCalculator, that if you upgrade the entire journey vs. sector by sector, it'll cost less in both Qmiles & Qcredits!
So I've been doing it wrong all this time! :mad:

3. Your best bet is to upgrade online immediately after booking/issuance of ticket - QR PC is pretty clueless, but if you keep bugging them, it might work - they did it for me on one sector after many emails (late last year, when QRPC didn't accept questions via phone calls - perhaps it's better now?)

Now, my question is - what is the proper / correct / accurate way to check for upgrade availability using Qmiles & Qcredits?
By using QCalculator, & searching for redemption using Qmiles showing the range of my preferred dates which I can travel?
There isn't a way to check for upgrade availability using Qcredits, right?

Lastly, I'm seeing a lot of "flex awards" which are almost double of what QCalculator is showing for Qmiles needed for redemption.
Does this affect availability of using Qcredits to upgrade?

Thanks in advance! I'll keep updating when I figure out something else that is helpful in the next week or so.
Good luck to you guys too!
May all our upgrade wishes come true :D

fgw_ May 20, 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 31118569)
I just started researching for the best (cheapest Y Saver) USA - ASIA routing to use up all my Qmiles & Qcredits by next April.
I'll try to add on with what I know so far - my upgrade for LAX next week was also a PITA last year.

1. Must have all the Qmiles & Qcredits in your acct. - that'll mitigate any risks of avail. closing when/after you book.
I failed in that aspect & it was a huge hassle trying to upgrade when my Qmiles & Qcredits got credited to my acct. By then, 1 sector (LAX-DOH) had already closed online.

2. I just realized this morning when I was checking QCalculator, that if you upgrade the entire journey vs. sector by sector, it'll cost less in both Qmiles & Qcredits!

3. Your best bet is to upgrade online immediately after booking/issuance of ticket - QR PC is pretty clueless, but if you keep bugging them, it might work - they did it for me on one sector after many emails (late last year, when QRPC didn't accept questions via phone calls - perhaps it's better now?)

Now, my question is - what is the proper / correct / accurate way to check for upgrade availability using Qmiles & Qcredits?
By using QCalculator, & searching for redemption using Qmiles showing the range of my preferred dates which I can travel?

Lastly, I'm seeing a lot of "flex awards" which are almost double of what QCalculator is showing for Qmiles needed for redemption.

Thanks in advance! I'll keep updating when I figure out something else that is helpful in the next week or so.

no, flex awads (x2) availability CAN NOT BE USED with qcredits

had same situation last year and got this answer by email from QRPC.

HOLYMOLEAIR May 20, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 31118569)

If you toggle the Qmiles tab it becomes Qcredits in the upgrade selection page.
Fingers crossed, but why QR is not letting me upgrade with normal miles availability is beyond me.
And the fact that [email protected] is not taking upgrade request is not good either.
@goingplacestogether could you help with this matter?

fgw_ May 20, 2019 9:38 am

you should be able to call QRPC, as of this email i received end of march:

Our telephone contact centres have reopened

We are always looking for ways to improve your experience with us and reward you for your trust in us. At Privilege Club, you are our top priority and your feedback is very important.

Based on your valuable feedback, we have been reintroducing our member services at our contact centres, to be fully rolled out in the month of April. Our agents will now be empowered to assist you with any of the following services:

• Redeeming award tickets on Qatar Airways and partner airlines
• Award upgrades
• Date change of award tickets
• Refunding award tickets and Qmiles
• Retro claims on Qatar Airways flights
• Privilege Club offer registrations
• Membership card replacement request
• Password resets

With your convenience in mind, we will continue to improve our online functionality, and some account activities will remain exclusively online for your security. These include: nominating family members, profile updates, buying, gifting, and transferring Qmiles, excess baggage redemptions, and extending or revalidating your Qmiles.

Our team is striving to provide you with the premium service that you deserve. Expect further improvements throughout 2019.

We thank you very much for your loyalty and appreciate the time and effort you take to make Privilege Club better.

and then:

Log in to your account and go to the Contact centre page to view your exclusive contact centre number details.

HOLYMOLEAIR May 20, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by fgw_ (Post 31119852)
you should be able to call QRPC, as of this email i received end of march:

Our telephone contact centres have reopened

We are always looking for ways to improve your experience with us and reward you for your trust in us. At Privilege Club, you are our top priority and your feedback is very important.

Based on your valuable feedback, we have been reintroducing our member services at our contact centres, to be fully rolled out in the month of April. Our agents will now be empowered to assist you with any of the following services:

• Redeeming award tickets on Qatar Airways and partner airlines
• Award upgrades
• Date change of award tickets
• Refunding award tickets and Qmiles
• Retro claims on Qatar Airways flights
• Privilege Club offer registrations
• Membership card replacement request
• Password resets

With your convenience in mind, we will continue to improve our online functionality, and some account activities will remain exclusively online for your security. These include: nominating family members, profile updates, buying, gifting, and transferring Qmiles, excess baggage redemptions, and extending or revalidating your Qmiles.

Our team is striving to provide you with the premium service that you deserve. Expect further improvements throughout 2019.

We thank you very much for your loyalty and appreciate the time and effort you take to make Privilege Club better.

and then:

Log in to your account and go to the Contact centre page to view your exclusive contact centre number details.

Thanks fgw_, I've tried to call the centres but either they can't see the availability like I do on their system (for whatever reason), or they insist due to married segment issue they can't process it over the phone... really frustrating. I've tried sending a screenshot to the USA centre, who has kindly followed up with the headquarters and should reply me in a few days time. Hope the availability is still there by then...

kaffir76 May 21, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by fgw_ (Post 31119184)
no, flex awads (x2) availability CAN NOT BE USED with Qcredits
had same situation last year and got this answer by email from QRPC.

So are you saying that if I see a flight as available on the redemption page for the normal Qmiles – does that mean that it’s available for Qmiles &/or Qcredit upgrade as well?

HOLYMOLEAIR May 21, 2019 8:18 am

Before this week I would assume so. But I have received a reply from Doha, saying that redemption seats are not available on my flight despite normal miles availability. I have then called Doha and they said although all normal miles business seats book as class U, the same class used for award upgrade, the inventory is not commutable, i.e. having normal miles availability for a new ticket isn't equal to availability of award upgrades. And there is no way to check upgrade availability accurately unless you already have a booking, then you can use the online upgrade portal.

Given the inconsistency and tendency of QR front line staff making up rules and policies, I can't verify the authenticity of this, but I guess we have to take it as it comes. Their programme, their rules; our money, our choice...

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 31123353)
So are you saying that if I see a flight as available on the redemption page for the normal Qmiles – does that mean that it’s available for Qmiles &/or Qcredit upgrade as well?