Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Does Qatar Offer Free Upgrades for Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I fly regularly Asia to Europe, I have a few options to choose from, but selected Qatar as my preferred carrier. I mostly fly economy.

I'm quickly rising through the tiers of their frequent flyer program, but given that they effectively castrated that program back in May, am not sure if I will stay.

One thing that might keep me is, do they regularly upgrade their high status members (Gold or Platinum)? I have Diamond status with SAS, and receive a complimentary upgrade around 20% of flights.

Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:39 pm
R2

No they don't, unless Y is overbooked and they need to opup pax in which case their own tier members would be the first on the list. But if you get free upgrades on 20% of flights with SAS, why not stay with them.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Agreed, Qatar will never give you 20% upgrades, they will only offer you 40 Qcredits for gold and 60 Qcredits for platinum, which translates into 1 segment upgrade and one way upgrade respectively.

Beware that future "improvements" to the program could devaluate further the already very poor value of Qpesos you might collect trough QRPC..
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Alfredbali
Beware that future "improvements" to the program could devaluate further the already very poor value of Qpesos you might collect trough QRPC..
I prefer to see the glass as half full. Perhaps AAB has realized how unhappy people are and is planning to add some value....
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I prefer to see the glass as half full. Perhaps AAB has realized how unhappy people are and is planning to add some value....
God may maintain your optimism... ;-)
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Fingers crossed. Nice to see some optimism.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Everyone is allowed to dream!
Traveller999 and SullyofDoha like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Cool

Originally Posted by synd
Everyone is allowed to dream!
I'm afraid the new QRPC rules specifically prohibit dreaming. Nightmares are no longer offered free of charge either. Thank you for flying QR!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by florin
I'm afraid the new QRPC rules specifically prohibit dreaming. Nightmares are no longer offered free of charge either. Thank you for flying QR!
hahahah, yeah :-)
Just one thing missing - "Please let us know, how we can "assist" you further on....." ;-)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
The problem with getting any chance of an operational-upgrade, is that they're not necessary, when the planes are flying one-third to one-half full, as I've been experiencing throughout this year.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
The problem with getting any chance of an operational-upgrade, is that they're not necessary, when the planes are flying one-third to one-half full, as I've been experiencing throughout this year.
To be fair, Y becomes pretty comfortable at 1/3 loads. You basically get an OpUp to Redneck F
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Flying back to any major European country the last week-end of summer school holidays gives you a great chance of a real business class free upgrade, but you might pay a high price for your ticket.
Flying to a tropical country on a Wednesday in the middle of rainy season outside any western country school holiday time will give you a great chance of a poor's man business class free upgrade, and you'll get a cheap ticket.

Just choose what you prefer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.