Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Broken down car - might miss flight suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Not me but someone I know has just asked for advice: their car has spectacularly broken down in the fast lane of the motorway. It's now about 3.5 hours before departure, the airport is 30 mins away and the tow truck is "about an hour".

They're a oneworld emerald, booked in R and there is a later flight showing J5. Y9 on expertflyer.

Of course they may yet make the airport but the advice I've given is to call QR, explain and ask very nicely for a change to the later flight J and waiver of the costs, if that's not possible then beg for Y and protection for the later Biz segments (it's the first leg of a 4 sector trip).

Anything else I can suggest?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Move the car to the shoulder, leave keys inside, call friend to take care of the car and by any means get to the f....ing airport.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Move the car to the shoulder, leave keys inside, call friend to take care of the car and by any means get to the f....ing airport.
That did cross my mind as well.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should not simply cross your friend's mind, it is what he ought to do. This is not an uncommon fact pattern and there are taxis, car services, Uber and the like who routinely make these pickups.

If it looks as though he will be late, call the carrier immediately. The sooner one makes a call, the potentially better off one is and one might even get lucky and learn of a last minute delay which is something one hopes for in this situation.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It should not simply cross your friend's mind, it is what he ought to do. This is not an uncommon fact pattern and there are taxis, car services, Uber and the like who routinely make these pickups.
Yes, though in the UK it is illegal to collect someone from the motorway (unless it's an emergency) and I'm not sure where they were compared to an exit or a climbable embankment to get to a non-motorway regulations road.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Or drive the car to the airport. If the problem isn't too serious and the airport isn't far away, then driving the car in limp-home mode to the airport might be an option as well. Driving a car in limp-home mode on a motorway or on A roads is not recommended. The available power is very limited and you'll be lucky if the car maintains 20 to 30 mph.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Yes, though in the UK it is illegal to collect someone from the motorway (unless it's an emergency) and I'm not sure where they were compared to an exit or a climbable embankment to get to a non-motorway regulations road.
Last time my friend experienced the same thing, he did called a uber and the driver picked him up on the motorway.

Call the carrier and tell them what happened, pay the fee of changing, and move on.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12
Last time my friend experienced the same thing, he did called a uber and the driver picked him up on the motorway.

Call the carrier and tell them what happened, pay the fee of changing, and move on.
I've been travelling since then but just for a datapoint my friend toughed it out. It took 90 mins for recovery to arrive, 15 mins to get off the motorway to the depot and another 45 for a taxi to collect from there and deliver to the airport. He made it with just enough time for a glass of wine in the lounge so all ended well enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.