Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong gender on flight booking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Question Wrong gender on flight booking

Hi

I booked a flight from Helsinki to Perth, stopover in Doha. Flying with Qatar airways. But i noticed that somehow the gender is wrong in my booking. I am a man, not woman. Is that would be a problem or i can leave it? When i asked that the travel agency, i got the answer that name/surname change cost almost 750 euros but my name is correct, just the gender is wrong.

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by farm
I booked a flight from Helsinki to Perth, stopover in Doha. Flying with Qatar airways. But i noticed that somehow the gender is wrong in my booking. I am a man, not woman. Is that would be a problem or i can leave it? When i asked that the travel agency, i got the answer that name/surname change cost almost 750 euros but my name is correct, just the gender is wrong.Thanks
Hi, and welcome to FT!

When you say that your gender is wrong, you mean in the Mr./Mrs./Ms. part, I assume? Others here may have a more conservative view; however, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Your passport has no such designation, of course. FYI, I never enter any honorific like that; although I admit that from time to time I consider "His Excellency" or something similar.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:37 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Don't worry about it
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:56 am
R2

I also would not worry about it at all...when booking on BA.com my brother always chooses to be a Lord, Baron, Rabbi or one of the other less common dignitary just for fun.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:08 am

farm welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the QR forum.
You should find the QR Forum dashboard a useful tool for finding answers.
Due to the limitations of the length of the name field on tickets, and Boarding passes etc., names very often get mangled up. Check-in staff, and more importantly Immigration officers are aware of and trained to take account of this problem. So you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Currently it is very common for Mrs to become Mr on a ticket.
Most modern check-in systems use your passport to recover your reservation and passports include a field indicating sex so you will have no problems.
If you are still unsure then use the Manage My Booking and under personal details enter your passport information. Then your booking will be linked to your passport information and any title on the ticket will be ignored.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, i leave it as it is.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by R2
I also would not worry about it at all...when booking on BA.com my brother always chooses to be a Lord, Baron, Rabbi or one of the other less common dignitary just for fun.
Interesting. I wonder if there are specific titles which automatically trigger Special Services.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I once flew as a “nun” before my name. Lol.

Don’t worry about it.
Traveller999 and msm2000uk like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by farm
Thanks, i leave it as it is.
How was your flight? smoothly? Was there any problems with you?
Now I have the same situation like you did (
Old May 30, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul_102
How was your flight? smoothly? Was there any problems with you?
Now I have the same situation like you did (
Good Morning Mrs Paul,

We envisage no problems with an incorrect title.
indomie and purple1addict like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:58 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Schwann
Good Morning Mrs Paul,

We envisage no problems with an incorrect title.
Good morning Mr Schwann!
That's so cool. Thanks for replying me. Have a good day!
Old May 30, 2019, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If you're questioned about it, either say it was an error, or say you identify as Female.

The latter is likely to confuse the check-in agent, but it would be worth it for the explanation!

M
Paul_102 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:05 am

I've reported my error to the Emirates. And they said that as for them, the title is optional. So I think I'll get no obstacle with the carrier airline. Thing which I worry about is the immigration (
Old May 31, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: QR Plat
14 posts in and noone has yet made any snarky comment that the easiest way out of this pickle would be reassignment surgery rather than dealing with QR?

-A
Old May 31, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I do wonder how 'acceptable' the assignment process is seen in some middle eastern countries. Although unrelated, I hear homosexuality is still a taboo sadly. Not sure how well it would go down with the authorities if you did say you identified as non-binary and their systems did not cater for you, so you had to put something, 'ms' being the most logical. I suppose for the french, 'ms' could quite easily be a man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.