Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Helsinki lounge problems (AY refurbishment works)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold

I am travelling Qatar business class HEL to NRT. However, I got refused entry to the Finnair lounge at gate 50 because it is too full as there is a refurb! I was advised by the lounge dragons that I should have gone to the Aspire lounge in the Schengen area and were surprised I hadn't been told this by the Qatar check in staff. I can't go to the Schengen zone now. What made it more annoying is JAL passengers were being given €40 compensation vouchers in front of me but I wasn't eligible.

A first world problem of course - but it is annoying - beware anyone travelling from Helsinki!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: qr
Thanks will be there tomorrow so will make sure I ask at checkin
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I'm on QR 308 tonight from HEL to DOH. At check-in the agent specifically told me that on the evening flight the Finnair non-Schengen lounge is available but on other flights "our own lounge must be used" (meaning the Aspire lounge, which is operated by Swissport, who also handles the ground services for QR in HEL). I'm writing this from the half-empty Finnair lounge.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:07 pm

Was there two nights ago saw the finnair lounge as. Arrived ex London and it was packed and turning people away. When I eventually checkout ed in with qr in the evening asked which lounge and they were a bit confused at which ne I should use. Told me finnair I asked if there was space and they called and told me there was. Turned up yes lounge was half empty but really disappointing as was under rennervation - little good choice and plastic plates and cups only available and tables were filthy . Not QR fault but perhaps my expectations were too high.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Same continues as update. Turned away from Finnair lounge in non area to Aspire which is quite busy .not great choice but at least it is clean .
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I hope it won't last too long. With regards to the vouchers, I suspect it is JL paying for it and not AY, and QR are undoubtedly too stingy to do the same...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:14 pm

its now 2 months since I travelled through HEL and encountered this issue with the lounges seems slow progress would have thought the AY lounge would have been finished by now- wonder if they still serving food on paper plates and drinks in plastic cups ?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I passed through last week Tues mid afternoon and the Finnair lounge was very empty...food was great!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I hope it won't last too long. With regards to the vouchers, I suspect it is JL paying for it and not AY, and QR are undoubtedly too stingy to do the same...
Actually what is happening is that JL contracts with AY to use their lounge, and AY and JL have come to an agreement that JL pax will not be allowed access during the renovation period. So JL pax have no lounge access at all, and are given the vouchers to compensate.

In contrast QR pax still have access to a lounge. They just need to know it is the Aspire lounge and not the AY one.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:32 pm

Interesting...

I am writing this post from the empty lounge at HEL. Waiting to board QR304 and from check-in i was guided to Finnair lounge.

Lounge is using paper and plastic dishes, food selection limited, but tasty (at least the breakfast bite I had).

Can’t wait for the new Premium Lounge to open up
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
deleted

Last edited by r2d2; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.