Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: EXPLT
In previous events when a carrier has left an alliance, how was the mileage for tickets already purchased handled? For example, all tickets purchased prior to exit dates would be honored only for a limited time on your alliance carrier of choice? Or at the date of exit, even tickets already purchased cannot accrue miles on another alliance carrier of choice?

Just wondering anyone’s past experiences, if any, on the departure of a big carrier fm an alliance.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Given BA has a relationship with QR, I would hazard a guess that even if QR did leave OW the two airlines would retain a close relationship which would pretty much mean business as normal for BAEC status hunters.
I would disagree.
There is no evidence that under BAEC TPs will be awarded to non-alliance partners, unless it's a BA-coded flight.
For examples EI is owned by IAG but it is not in OW, where only Avios are earned, but not TP.

As we all know Avios is pointless for status. Therefore it is not business as usual for BAEC status hunters.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by b74l
at the date of exit, even tickets already purchased cannot accrue miles on another alliance carrier of choice?
This is what it is when a carrier joins, I would guess likely the same when it exits. Determining mileage earn by ticketing date is likely too complicated, and this doesn't affect mileage credit only but also other alliance perks such as lounge access etc.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: NZ
My view is that any travel after the exit date (irrespective of when the ticket was issued) will not accrue points/miles in another OW FF program. I understand they would have to give one year's notice to exit OW so it's not as if you won't have plenty of advance notice.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by minz56
I understand they would have to give one year's notice to exit OW so it's not as if you won't have plenty of advance notice.
Where did this come from? How certain are you? Genuine question...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Why not leave overnight without notice?

Seems to be Qatar Airways standard practice as demonstrated by last May QRPC devaluation ;-)
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by s115
Where did this come from? How certain are you? Genuine question...
In the article cited above in Air Transport World (ATW) - the interview with Willie Walsh - the following is stated:

"ATW understands that oneworld member airlines must give a year’s notice of leaving the global alliance and pay an exit fee."

Perhaps they are right, perhaps they are wrong ...
s115 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by minz56
In the article cited above in Air Transport World (ATW) - the interview with Willie Walsh - the following is stated:

"ATW understands that oneworld member airlines must give a year’s notice of leaving the global alliance and pay an exit fee."

Perhaps they are right, perhaps they are wrong ...
QREXIT
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:58 pm

What does Article 50 of the Oneworld agreement state?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Pulling out of alliance?

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/austr...ce-over-qantas
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:26 am

More to add to this?

AAB threatens to leave oneworld
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:58 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
IAG now also saying QR is likely to leave OW.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Given how QR treated its own loyal members, doubt they will leave the alliance with any notice!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well....QF don't really seem to care.....
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-qatar-airways
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:51 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Well....QF don't really seem to care.....
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-qatar-airways
I especially like the following quote from this article (from Joyce). Be careful what you wish for.

“If aviation was governed by the World Trade Organisation, there would be some dumping cases against people for going in well below cost to force people off routes and markets. We think those rules should apply to aviation markets,” he added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.