Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA - Gold
It seems people tend to think this is all a bit of a bluff. If it isn't though is there any precedent for how long it would take and what would happen for flights booked pre-exit announcement but occurring after the actual exit? If no precedent, what are peoples thoughts?

Thanks all.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Interview with Richard Quest.

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Man I can't stand Al Baker or his comb over
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by Tulene
Man I can't stand Al Baker or his comb over
I also hate his comb over , but I do rather like him - he is a character and makes me laugh with his threats and tantrums . Yes he is a bit of a “u Turner” and comes out with some very un pc remarks but ultimately I think he is only trying to do the best for his airline . However he needs to factor in if leaving OW will ultimately have an adverse effect on his business and desire to grow despite all the challenges the blockade has brought. I suspect it’s hot air and QR will firmly remain as part of OW.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tav1989
However he needs to factor in if leaving OW will ultimately have an adverse effect on his business and desire to grow despite all the challenges the blockade has brought. I suspect it’s hot air and QR will firmly remain as part of OW.
OTOH his strategy was to become a global player for all air travel with DOH as a hub and he's done that. EK did it successfully without joining an alliance, and QR is now firmly entrenched. I have no idea if he wants to or if he really will, but he has a perfectly viable business without OW if he goes that route.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OTOH his strategy was to become a global player for all air travel with DOH as a hub and he's done that. EK did it successfully without joining an alliance, and QR is now firmly entrenched. I have no idea if he wants to or if he really will, but he has a perfectly viable business without OW if he goes that route.
I don't think even Qatar can afford losing $1bn+ per year (excluding the airport and the money spent on +Qatar etc.) running an airline for a longer time.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I wonder if "Global player for all air travel" rather underestimates the impact of the blockade. Worldwide traffic to and from the region now closed to QR, including haj and umrah passengers, was a significant revenue stream.

A lot of this forum focusses on the glamour routes; but carrying passengers on itineraries such as those between Indonesia, Malaysia and RSA; India and the other Gulf states, were the bead and butter of the airline.

The costs of alliance membership may be high, but the benefits that accrue from traffic funnelled through strong partners together with indirect bennies gained through alliance members' frequent flyer programmes count for something. I, and probably many others, wouldn't be on QR nearly so much if it were not for the tier point and avios dropping into my BAEC account, and the parallel status I enjoy on QR flights.

I'm guessing those benefits haven't decreased in significance since the blockade was imposed.
tav1989 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Now Willie Walsh went on record saying he thinks its highly likely that QR will leave OneWorld... Will be disappointing if this does happen.

Walsh: Qatar Airways ?highly likely? to leave oneworld | Airlines content from ATWOnline
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:11 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Joining OW provided a significant boost to QR's traffic. So in my view this significantly helped develop DOH as a viable hub. I'm not suggesting that it would be a disaster for QR if it were to leave, but I think that it would cause a noticeable drop in premium traffic at a time when they are under pressure to perform financially. Combined with QR's efforts to annoy members of its own frequent flier program, it probably can't afford to lose regular fliers from its partners right now.

However, I could see a viable scenario whereby QR would leave OW, but establish partner status with selected OW and/or other airlines.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I fly on QR J because it's OW. The moment that QR drops out of OW is the moment that I stop buying QR J tickets and refund the issued tickets I have (depending on the exit date).

Having the best J in the world still won't make me fly QR if it drops out of OW. I'd suck it up and fly AY (ugh...) instead.
NoY and ffay005 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Given BA has a relationship with QR, I would hazard a guess that even if QR did leave OW the two airlines would retain a close relationship which would pretty much mean business as normal for BAEC status hunters.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:37 pm

Well, I am looking forward to my first J trip on QR later this year. A ticket I would never have purchased had it not meant me crediting my BAEC with the massive TPs I'll get. If QR move on then it will most likely be my last trip with them unfortunately. I'll have to stick with OW carriers.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:39 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Not that I needed another reason to credit miles to another program than QRPC, but now it's clear that in 2019 I will harvest the OW benefits of QR Platinum but credit somewhere else and then I am done. I won't be against booking with QR in the future, but given that I rarely do with EK and that I did not book QR before QR joined OW, I will be disappointed but will let QR go.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
I don't think even Qatar can afford losing $1bn+ per year (excluding the airport and the money spent on +Qatar etc.) running an airline for a longer time.
Well technically they can do that for almost 1000 years with their piggy bank alone, ndisregarding any further income. But of course there is a very big difference between "can" and "will".
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by midlevels
I fly on QR J because it's OW. The moment that QR drops out of OW is the moment that I stop buying QR J tickets and refund the issued tickets I have (depending on the exit date).
Having the best J in the world still won't make me fly QR if it drops out of OW. I'd suck it up and fly AY (ugh...) instead.
My view exactly. Unless they stayed allied with BA and BAEC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.