Wiki Posts
Search

No alcohol before take off

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
No alcohol before take off

Hello to everybody: recently a FA refuses to serve me alcohol until the Doors closing at Madrid airport.Anyone knows Qatar Airways policy about this subject?Is it related to the departure airport?
Thank you
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:10 pm

Quite often local rules are used
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:47 pm

QR doesn’t want to pay for the ability to serve before takeoff. Same as CDG.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: NZ
I suspect it is a tax and duty thing and they are not prepared to take the risk of serving it before the doors close.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
In Bcn it was never a problem to get a glass of champagne, probably the policy has changed?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If they don't have duty paid booze on board, the bottles cannot be opened till the doors are closed for pushback.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is just cost saving to avoid buying duty on local booz, as required if served before doors close.
Some airlines pay, others don't.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn;t just the duty, but the space required to maintain a separate bar. More and more carriers are resorting to this because it is cutting into space which is needed for other service items.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:02 pm

If QR keeps on cutting things it will not be so sad that they discontinue their biz class sales
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by more4less
If QR keeps on cutting things it will not be so sad that they discontinue their biz class sales
You just made me think of something: the OP didn't say he/she was in J - we all just assumed he was! Just a thought...
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
You just made me think of something: the OP didn't say he/she was in J - we all just assumed he was! Just a thought...
I was in J....to be honest I'd prefer a new travel festival next january with big discounts rather than a champagne glass 😜
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: QR Plat
There seem to be a bit of mixing here. Usually QR will open a bottle of each champagne once they get a request on any out station, but not want to serve other alchohol untill after takeoff.

Some out stations may be even more restrictive, generally JRO I experience to be more restrictive, other than that I can't recall any other from my travels.

-A
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
No pre departure champagne served in NBO for several years now.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by ptalegui
I was in J....to be honest I'd prefer a new travel festival next january with big discounts rather than a champagne glass 😜
+1 ^^

it is actually Mrs m4l the champagne aficionado, I am happy with a diet coke
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I assume the flight took off and landed safely? The issue of having champas in J-class before take-off is really a moot point, as are the reasons. OTOH, if the "requestor" really needed it - to deal with DTs perhaps - then there are other issues that FT contributors, and QR, should IMHO not deal with....

Another option is to find an airline that serves the requested libation(s) before take off.

Waiting until after take-off is possibly the safest thing to do. After all, the FAs prime responsibility is to ensure our safety during any flight. That is what announcements during flights say....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.