Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Counter at JFK-Strict!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:13 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Given what I've seen on this thread, I'm a bit worried about my JFK-DOH-NBO in Oct (in J). I'm flying with camera equipment that simply cannot be checked. It goes in a dedicated roller that meets all the dimensional requirements, but weight might be an issue. Ironically, if I had even 10 Kg of checked luggage, I'd be surprised. I've flown hundred of thousands of miles with this setup and never had an issue, but this is my first time flying QR. Thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by CoachBoy
Given what I've seen on this thread, I'm a bit worried about my JFK-DOH-NBO in Oct (in J). I'm flying with camera equipment that simply cannot be checked. It goes in a dedicated roller that meets all the dimensional requirements, but weight might be an issue. Ironically, if I had even 10 Kg of checked luggage, I'd be surprised. I've flown hundred of thousands of miles with this setup and never had an issue, but this is my first time flying QR. Thoughts?
You should have 15 kg of hand baggage. That is a fair amount of equipment.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CoachBoy
Originally Posted by cheltzel
You should have 15 kg of hand baggage. That is a fair amount of equipment.
+1.

As cheltzel has mentioned, Business Class Travellers are allocated two pieces of hand baggage, totalling up to 15 kg. There doesn't seem been to be any weight limit for the distribution of 15 kg to each piece, as far as I am aware, so you should be fine, CoachBoy
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
+1.

As cheltzel has mentioned, Business Class Travellers are allocated two pieces of hand baggage, totalling up to 15 kg. There doesn't seem been to be any weight limit for the distribution of 15 kg to each piece, as far as I am aware, so you should be fine, CoachBoy
My wife travels with photo gear. We've weighed it out. Each camera body is something like 650 - 900 grams, lenses have a lot of variety and go anywhere from 200 to 2000 grams, etc. Unless you are travelling with tripods, electrical gear and more 15 kg should be plenty.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
For years, those of us on the QR Forum have been advising J pax not to worry about their hand-baggage weight, as QR rarely checked.

If they are now doing so, then so be it, but they're perfectly within their rights to do so.

Some airports are stricter than others, especially as leisure destinations (Greece, Thailand to name but two), but I would agree the US is more likely down to the Baggage Handlers Union and their rights - which is perfectly acceptable and correct.

M
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Supposedly, the overhead storage compartments can only handle so much weight, there are stickers inside the compartments which says this. Also, many passengers may not be able to carry up and put up the bag themselves, and thus failing to do so they might hit another passenger... insurance... suing... blah blah blah

That aside, what I find hilarious though is BA's superb weight limit of 23kg for cabin luggage I'd have to say that I've once maxed out on that limit once on the occasional LHR-EDI shuttle, HBO
Actually BA is two hand bags of 23k. But they are very strict on sizes in European flights.
Maybe they installed extra strong bins on their airplanes.

It seems clear to me why the agent carefully checked each bag. The OP came at the check-in counter with 12 checked bags and numerous hand bags, No possible way to check the weight of 12 bags together, so the only option is to check if each bag is within the rule.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Actually BA is two hand bags of 23k. But they are very strict on sizes in European flights.
Maybe they installed extra strong bins on their airplanes.
Indeed, I agree with the size strictness.

I just realised that the personal item can weight up to 23 kg as well, surely this is a feat that is hard to accomplish

Jokes aside, that is very generous for BA to give, perhaps they do have extra strong bins(?) as I've usually been told that very heavy bags (i.e. >8kg) pose a safety issue on other airlines like SQ and MH.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Indeed, I agree with the size strictness.

I just realised that the personal item can weight up to 23 kg as well, surely this is a feat that is hard to accomplish

Jokes aside, that is very generous for BA to give, perhaps they do have extra strong bins(?) as I've usually been told that very heavy bags (i.e. >8kg) pose a safety issue on other airlines like SQ and MH.
You've never traveled with my wife

Seriously a bag weighing anywhere near 20 kg falling out of an overhead bin could cause serious injury to anyone directly underneath.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:26 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
I weighed everything last night, and I have a camera roller weighing 30 lbs fully loaded and a laptop bag weighs another 9. I'm in J, and I can put the roller in a Pelican Case to check it, which weighs another 20 lbs and still be inside the rules, but I don't think I'm being crazy in saying that it's better for me and the airline if I can keep the roller with me and they don't have to fly an extra 20 lbs 17,500 miles, but no one ever said airlines were that logical.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
I was over a little 32 kg in one bag, and had a lot less in the other bag, so I had to transfer a kilo or so to the other bag.
Wow - 32kg is a lot to have in 1 checked bag
How did u manage to even lift it up when getting to the airport & during check in?
In many US airports (& I think also in SIN/SQ), the airlines will not accept any bags over 23kg/50lbs, so I'd say in this instance. they were being very lenient.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Wow - 32kg is a lot to have in 1 checked bag
How did u manage to even lift it up when getting to the airport & during check in?
In many US airports (& I think also in SIN/SQ), the airlines will not accept any bags over 23kg/50lbs, so I'd say in this instance. they were being very lenient.
Actually, many airlines accept bags at 32kg when the traveller is flying in Business or First and occasionally in Economy as well. Other airlines not so.

Last I recall, SQ allows bags at 30kg, and so does MH.

Virtually all long haul flights bound to the US uses the piece system. QR, like many others, allocates J passengers 2 pieces of baggage at 32kg each. They weren't being lenient, I was just following their written rules.

Finally, I am quite used to lift and carry luggage of up to 32kg. I am a rower by hobby, so carrying heavy weights aren't too much of an issue. Still, I would imagine many travellers also not having much of a problem bringing such heavy luggage, especially since the advent of the wheeled luggage, as well as airport trolleys.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
32kg or 70lbs seems to be broadly accepted as the maximum weight for any one item of luggage. Where carriers permit higher allowances - for example a 40kg business class allowance it would usually be required that if you take advantage of the whole weight allowance it would need to be split across two items of luggage.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by plunet
32kg or 70lbs seems to be broadly accepted as the maximum weight for any one item of luggage. Where carriers permit higher allowances - for example a 40kg business class allowance it would usually be required that if you take advantage of the whole weight allowance it would need to be split across two items of luggage.
That couldn't have been phrased any better Plunet!

Many airlines charge heavy luggage duty, particularly when their default baggage allowance is 23kg per piece. Perhaps that may be fuelling the perception that 23kg is the maximum weight for a piece of luggage?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:55 am

Back when I could fly international first class for my work I found that many airlines allowed up to 3 32 kg bags in first. Personally I rarely went over 1 bag but sometimes my bag went up to 25 or 27 kg.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
+1.

Beware they were setting to 10kg max per item. Even made me weigh my two bags. They then tried to get me to sign the luggage tag on my bike. Basically to say that they take no responsibility for it. I refused. Did ask well what happens if your driver runs over it with a baggage cart. To which I got blank faces. They could not tell me where the line was drawn on damage so stuck to my side and they gave in. They are very strict. Our flight was only 1/3 full as well. If you camera kit is heavy maybe better call to check. I would if my wife as she photographer as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.